BajaNomad

Dumb idea

alacran - 4-4-2016 at 12:17 AM

How many people agree, that in the last few centuries, is stupid to change the clock twice a year?

ehall - 4-4-2016 at 05:00 AM

What's that old Indian saying. Only a white man would cut 6 inches off the bottom of a blanket , sew it to the top and think he had a longer blanket.

TMW - 4-4-2016 at 07:34 AM

I've always thought it was a dumb ideal to have Daylight Savings Time. You still have the same amount of daylight no matter what the clock says.

OK, here is the real reason it's good

Howard - 4-4-2016 at 07:58 AM

In order to get the bait to go fishing the best time is just as the sun is coming up. The sun was coming up around 6:30 which meant I had to get up out of bed at 5:00 to make it to the ramp by 6:00.

Now with the change, the sun comes up around 7:15 which means I can sleep until around 6:00 A.M. VS 5:00 A.M.

Nuff said, I'm all for it! :biggrin:

Forgot about that it will reverse itself again, live for the moment!

Class, any questions?

AKgringo - 4-4-2016 at 08:11 AM

In Anchorage, we double down on dumb! There used to be a two hour time difference between Juneau (the only state capitol with a moat) and the population center in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

In order to end the ridiculous lack of co-ordination of working hours, both times zones were shifted toward each other. So Anchorage is in permanent DST, with an extra hour tacked on in the spring!

After a long winter of starting work in the dark, And the sun finally rises by staring time, WHAM, back in the dark! Then the sun stays up long enough to mess with your sleep.

12:00 noon should happen at the mid point of daylight hours!

DianaT - 4-4-2016 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Juneau (the only state capitol with a moat)

:lol::lol::lol: I like that.

Daylight Savings time sure makes driving through Arizona a bit difficult if anyone is really interested in what time it is. Arizona does not follow Daylight Savings Time, but the Navajo Nation does, and then the Hopi Nation that is surrounded by the Navajo Nation does not.

larryC - 4-4-2016 at 09:39 AM

I was a San Diego firefighter and I had to have a watch. I retired 22 years ago and on the day I retired I threw away my watch and have not missed it since. Who cares what time it is. I'll get there when I get there, maybe.

motoged - 4-4-2016 at 11:15 AM

It's stupid to worry about it.....:light:

durrelllrobert - 4-4-2016 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Juneau (the only state capitol with a moat)

:lol::lol::lol: I like that.

Daylight Savings time sure makes driving through Arizona a bit difficult if anyone is really interested in what time it is. Arizona does not follow Daylight Savings Time, but the Navajo Nation does, and then the Hopi Nation that is surrounded by the Navajo Nation does not.

..and then ther's BC and BC Sur both on the same pennisula but with an hour difference in time and changing the clocks at different times each year.

[Edited on 4-5-2016 by durrelllrobert]

Sweetwater - 4-4-2016 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I was a San Diego firefighter and I had to have a watch. I retired 22 years ago and on the day I retired I threw away my watch and have not missed it since. Who cares what time it is. I'll get there when I get there, maybe.

Flashback to a great group.....

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
Chicago
As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
on my watch, yeah
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
If so I can't imagine why
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no
And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had
stopped cold dead
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
If so I can't imagine why
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no
And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock,
oh, so I just don't know,
I just don't know
And I said, yes I said

pauldavidmena - 4-4-2016 at 02:01 PM

Back in the 90s, I worked for Cray Research Inc., a company that made supercomputers. We dreaded Daylight Savings Time, and had issues every time the clock was set ahead or rolled back. You'd be surprised how confused a $32 million dollar computer can get when you mess with it.

bajabuddha - 4-4-2016 at 07:22 PM

HEY, TEACHAH...... LEAVE MY CLOCK ALONE !!!

...Pink Floyd, or sumpin' like that.......

bezzell - 4-4-2016 at 07:42 PM

someone's been hittin' the drinky-poos again! ;)

David K - 4-4-2016 at 07:46 PM

Fine with me if it is left at the Daylight time all year! It is Daylight time most of the year as it is now. Start school an hour later if it is too dark for little kids in the winter.

[Edited on 4-5-2016 by David K]

Gulliver - 4-4-2016 at 08:24 PM

Gets fun down here in Mulege as Baja Sur has a different shift date than Baja Norte.

The hams used to stay on GMT but now the average ham is 300 years old and has three microwaves and two VHS player flashing 12:00 all the time. The instruction books were thrown out with the papers announcing the Harding presidential landslide.

BajaTed - 4-5-2016 at 06:12 AM

At my Lazy H ranch in Ehrenberg AZ right on the Colorado river, my phone stays on AZ time, my wife's phone stays on PST, very confusing

Back in the day, the bars on the Cali side of the Parker strip would perk up when the bars closed in AZ. :bounce:

Hook - 4-5-2016 at 06:59 AM

I live in Sonora, which doesnt observe DST.

What I like about DST is that it puts the start of the east coast sporting events (especially baseball, of course!) an hour earlier.

I do like not moving the clock, from season to season.

But, as mentioned before, it sure is strange to sometimes deal with an area that is WEST of us that is actually an hour AHEAD of us. That would be BCS, which is in the Mtn Time Zone but observes DST.

SFandH - 4-5-2016 at 07:20 AM

I've posted this a couple of times. It describes the complexity of the current system. I prefer daylight in the mornings so I dislike it when we "spring ahead".

Sweetwater - 4-6-2016 at 09:33 AM

I think DST distorts our society at many levels.

One of my fondest memories involves watching the sun rise while I was in bed and listening to the birds chirp outside my open window. I knew that I'd be up having b'fast and heading to school with spring fresh in my step.

I can enjoy that same scenario now that I'm retired but my sons were raised on DST schedules for themselves and their parents who had to maintain the discipline to keep on a tight track. It's a clear manipulation of our personal time and space.

Daylight Savings Time sux, exclamation point!

durrelllrobert - 4-6-2016 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Back in the 90s, I worked for Cray Research Inc., a company that made supercomputers. We dreaded Daylight Savings Time, and had issues every time the clock was set ahead or rolled back. You'd be surprised how confused a $32 million dollar computer can get when you mess with it.

Back in the late 50s I worked with the Sperry Rand UNIVAC walk in reel-to-reel computer and it had to be even worse than the Cray plus you had to suit up in clean room coveralls and booties to go inside and access it. My only job was to carry in the stacks of IBM punch cards that the ladies worked all night long making.

[Edited on 4-6-2016 by durrelllrobert]

Phil S - 4-7-2016 at 07:47 PM

David K said it. If I remember right, it's main reason had to do with children of grade school age, walking in the dark to school????? With that thought in mind, I agree with keeping it in effect. Kids that age need all the help they can get. And with all the crazies out there these days, lets keep it. Yes, I'm a grandpa and great grandpa these days. Anyone remember that? (I didn't watch the video. Maybe it said that).

alacran - 4-7-2016 at 08:51 PM

A lot of interesting responses, with no meaning .
The question is DO YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE CLOCK, twice a year.
Very simple question.

bajabuddha - 4-7-2016 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
A lot of interesting responses, with no meaning .
The question is DO YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE CLOCK, twice a year.
Very simple question.

Succinctly,

NO.

If you do, change your own damned clock but leave mine alone.

Wanna change for the kiddies? Start school an hour later. Most of us survived without it. Change everyone's time for the benefit of a few who could alter their own schedules? No.

You can't cut 1" off a candle and glue it to the other end to make it longer.

Simple enough.

DavidT - 4-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

But why do we do this odd biannual ritual? And does it really save us money?

Contrary to popular belief, Ben Franklin did not invent Daylight Savings Time. What he satirically proposed was that to save money on candles, the hard-partying 18th century French try waking up earlier to use more daylight. Franklin also proposed that the Parisian dawn be greeted by cannon fire to ensure that its citizens were awake.

In fact the idea of Daylight Savings Time is ancient. Agrarian societies would simply adjust their sense of time to the sun. Roman Empire-era water clocks would have different settings for different months to account for the difference in the times of sunrise and sunset.

But the idea of Daylight Savings Time as we know it first required the standardization of time itself that came with the introduction of the railroads and their need for fixed schedules. It was first proposed in 1895 by New Zealand Entomologist George Vernon Hudson who wanted more sunlight after quitting time so he could add more bugs to his collection. The British construction magnet William Willett took up the cause, primarily because he was tired of cutting short his games of golf at dusk.

The first people to actually implement the idea however, were, in fact, the efficient Germans, who viewed it as a way to save coal during World War I. The Allies soon followed suit, and the U.S. shortly after, adopting the practice in 1918

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/11/04/Daylight-S...