BajaNomad

Aerocalafia

Nappo - 4-6-2016 at 09:19 PM

Booked a flight from TJ to Loreto. Very good price. Had a few questions and every time I called their (English) number it was an answering machine (6 days in a row).No call back. Emailed them, no response. Anyone have any hints on how to contact them. Their website lists some pretty heavy fees for rod carriers out of TJ, other luggage depends on the type of plane you're on...
Thanks for any help.
By the way, I contacted the Border express website with questions and they promptly answered all questions.

rhintransit - 4-7-2016 at 04:34 AM

I always book in the office in Loreto, or have a friend do it there for me if I am in the USA.
no hints on contacting them otherwise, but a caution...lock your luggage! even though the agent at the check in desk zip tied my bag, and my friend's bag...without our asking, should have been a big clue...we both had items stolen from our bags on a recent TJ to LTO trip.
the convenience of the CBX and the flight itself are great.

wilderone - 4-7-2016 at 08:41 AM

"...lock your luggage"
Flying out of Cancun recently, I discovered my lock had been cut (broken lock inside my bag), and was apparently "inspected" (though the required note was not inside), and contents rummaged through. Nothing was missing as there were only camping items and dirty clothes. Don't put anything of value in your checked luggage. Airlines are allowed to open checked bags.

gallesram - 4-7-2016 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nappo  
Booked a flight from TJ to Loreto. Very good price. Had a few questions and every time I called their (English) number it was an answering machine (6 days in a row).No call back. Emailed them, no response. Anyone have any hints on how to contact them. Their website lists some pretty heavy fees for rod carriers out of TJ, other luggage depends on the type of plane you're on...
Thanks for any help.
By the way, I contacted the Border express website with questions and they promptly answered all questions.

2 tricks with Aereocalafia (we fly them a lot): 1) use the Spanish version of their website because the English version can cause problems when trying to pay; and 2) if you need to call them use the Cabo number; the US number usually doesn't work. They do have an English speaking employee in the Cabo office but you may have to wait for her (all the while incurring the toll charge to call Cabo). For those reasons I just book online and it usually goes smoothly (again, using the Spanish version of the site).

The TJ-Loreto route uses their Embraer Jet, which is great since it's very smooth, quiet and you arrive in Loreto a little quicker than with a prop plane.

Nappo - 4-8-2016 at 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I do know how you have to "roll" in Baja.
Once while returning from Loreto, my buddy and I had already gone thru the first carry on inspection and outside there were tables where you received a second inspection. Both of us had reels in our carry ons.
My inspector saw no problem, while standing right next to me the inspector told my buddy he had to check his reels. So he has to go back to the counter to check his carry on while I'm allowed on the plane with my reels.
Learned years ago, just go with the flow...that's why we love the Baja!

Alm - 4-8-2016 at 09:14 PM

To avoid locks being cut off, use TSA approved locks. Though they likely don't have TSA master key that they are supposed to have. Last year in Loreto they didn't.

Nappo - 4-12-2016 at 09:28 PM

Just an update - called the "English" number again yesterday and got the answering machine. 10 minutes later I was called!
The gentleman answered all my questions and I'm good to go. He was extremely helpful and reminded me of the fairly large fee if you bring a rod tube. I'm just packing reels so we'll see what happens!
As with all trips flying in Baja a lock does no good as they can just cut it. (obviously they're not part of TSA). So once again we just roll with what comes our way. I'll post on my return about the trip and hopefully all will be positive.

Udo - 4-13-2016 at 05:43 PM

:bounce: :light: :bounce:

BajaBlanca - 4-13-2016 at 06:04 PM

Have fun!

Nappo - 4-21-2016 at 09:14 PM

Just got back from Loreto. The CBX is awesome. Aero Calafia jets were clean, quick, efficient. From the time I landed to getting picked up was just a little over 40 minutes including 20 minutes waiting for luggage to come up. Crossed the CBX with maybe 5 other people, 2 US custom agents, (2 minutes) Xray and out the door. Super easy! Fishing was a little on the slow side with bait being super deep (300+ feet), but we managed to eat fresh fish 2 nights, and still bring back as much vacuum packed Cabrilla and YT as we wanted!

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2016 at 10:44 PM

:D