BajaNomad

PBS Baja Mission Special

Ateo - 4-7-2016 at 07:13 AM

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/apr/04/san-diegos-historic-pla...

A brand new series of SAN DIEGO’S HISTORIC PLACES focuses on the first Jesuit priests to arrive in the Baja California Peninsula and how they established 17 missions in the 17th century. The colonization of Baja becomes a major clash between two cultures: the Europeans and the native people. Find out who these priests are, learn about the Missions' architecture and how El Camino Real is still visible today. Join Executive Producer and Host, Elsa Sevilla, for a brand new series with six new episodes on Baja California history.

EPISODE GUIDE:
Episode 1 airs Thursday, April 7 at 8 p.m. & repeats Sunday, April 10 at 4:30 p.m. - Spanish explorers begin scouting the Peninsula, looking for ports, as early as the 16th century. Spanish explorer Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo is one of them. We’ll tell you some of his accomplishments and discoveries. Nearly 150 years later a major religious conflict between two cultures changes the course of history in Baja California and later in San Diego, California. We’ll show you what the Jesuit missionaries accomplished in the Peninsula. Join Host Elsa Sevilla in a new documentary series on early Baja California history and its impacts on San Diego.

Episode 2 airs Thursday, April 14 at 8 p.m. & repeats Sunday, April 17 at 4:30 p.m. - The Jesuit Catholic priests arrive in the Peninsula to christianize the native peoples and colonize the region for Spain. We’ll show the massive and beautiful missions in Baja California. Many are still standing today. Also, little information is known about the first Spanish soldiers who accompany the Jesuit priests in the late 17th century. Learn their stories from one of the descendants who travels to San Diego to tell his ancestor’s history.

Episode 3 airs Thursday, April 21 at 8 p.m. & repeats Sunday, April 24 at 4:30 p.m. - Elena Spanish soldiers, Matias, Kumeyaay and more. The Jesuit Catholic Religious Order had been setting the foundation for Spanish colonization in Baja California since 1683. We'll show you what they discovered, established and documented during their time in Baja and it will amaze you. Learn about their determination and hardships to establish the Mission system in the Peninsula and about the first Spanish soldiers who intermarried with the natives and became the early Baja California families. Don't miss an in-depth look into the architecture of the Baja missions - from Loreto to San Diego. We'll also focus on the early Spanish Conquistadors and their impact on the Peninsula and hear personal stories from the early Baja family descendants.

Episode 4 airs Thursday, April 28 at 8 p.m. & repeats Sunday, May 1 at 4:30 p.m. - More details to be announced.

Episode 5 airs Thursday, May 5 at 8 p.m. & repeats Sunday, May 8 at 4:30 p.m. - More details to be announced.

Episode 6 airs Thursday, May 12 at 8 p.m. & repeats Sunday, May 15 at 4:30 p.m. - More details to be announced.

Episodes from this series will be available for online viewing.

This documentary series is produced by Elsa Sevilla & Guillermo Sevilla of Sevilla Productions, and sponsored by KPBS-TV & North Island Credit Union. Sevilla Productions is on Facebook.

David K - 4-7-2016 at 07:15 AM

Thank you Jon... Knowledge about where California began is fun and interesting!

Because Baja California IS the Land of Missions! :light:;)

[Edited on 4-7-2016 by David K]

rts551 - 4-7-2016 at 07:57 AM

Thanks Jon. I will have to search to see if this airs beyond the local PBS station.

Too bad we could not gotten through the thread without the shameless advertising.

[Edited on 4-7-2016 by rts551]

Udo - 4-7-2016 at 08:03 AM

:bounce:

SFandH - 4-7-2016 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Thanks Jon. I will have to search to see if this airs beyond the local PBS station.

From the webpage:

"Episodes from this series will be available for online viewing."

http://video.kpbs.org/show/san-diego-historic-places/

rts551 - 4-7-2016 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

From the webpage:

"Episodes from this series will be available for online viewing."

http://video.kpbs.org/show/san-diego-historic-places/

Thanks. I will keep an eye out. I am sure there will be some "CRITIQUE" here.

bajaguy - 4-7-2016 at 08:53 AM

But I guess other Nomads can do shameless advertising and it is ok with you

Too bad we could not gotten through the thread without the shameless advertising.

DianaT - 4-7-2016 at 09:08 AM

It will be interesting to see if and how they address what happened to the native people or if it will be strictly eurocentric. I hope not.

Thanks Ateo

bajaguy - 4-7-2016 at 09:15 AM

Maybe you can't see that because you focus all of your energy on one individual

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
But I guess other Nomads can do shameless advertising and it is ok with you

Not at all. There is a place for advertising on this forum and that is where it belongs. I don't see any other violators. Maybe you can point them out to us.

Missions

tehag - 4-7-2016 at 09:34 AM

This sort of post underlines the strength and value of this site.

bajaguy - 4-7-2016 at 09:41 AM

Then ignore it

The great defender. Get a life.. I post on a lot of things here. Was specifically interested in the PBS special and did not want to wade through any advertising photos.

rts551 - 4-7-2016 at 09:45 AM

Then ignore it

The great defender. Get a life.. I post on a lot of things here. Was specifically interested in the PBS special and did not want to wade through any advertising photos.

Hard to ignore when the pictures start flashing up. I would if I could somehow turn them off. Sorry Ateo for ruining your thread.

David K - 4-7-2016 at 10:47 AM

I posted a book cover, not an ad. I am very proud of my work and it will be a great resource for anyone seeking details not all easy to find and not all in one book. The native Californian story is included as well, so they were not ignored. After all, the missions were there for them... at least in the view of the Europeans.

rts551 - 4-7-2016 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I posted a book cover, not an ad. I am very proud of my work and it will be a great resource for anyone seeking details not all easy to find and not all in one book. The native Californian story is included as well, so they were not ignored. After all, the missions were there for them... at least in the view of the Europeans.

The post was not about you. or your work. The book cover is a not so discrete attempt at an ad.

On edit: at least you edited some of the stuff out to make it a little better.

[Edited on 4-7-2016 by rts551]

4x4abc - 4-7-2016 at 12:58 PM

is it ***ushima, global warming/cooling, midlife crisis etc? Why are so many of us grumpy? Grumpy enough to elect Hitler's grandson.
I thought gracious Baja and it's bucket size Margaritas had you all mellowed out.

David K - 4-7-2016 at 12:59 PM

I didn't edit anything beyond adding the book cover. Two beautiful photos I took of two missions are the feature of it, here. For those interested, they are the 11th and 17th California missions... San Ignacio, 1728 and Santa Maria, 1767 (originally founded in 1766 at Calamajué).

4x4abc - 4-7-2016 at 01:05 PM

even the effing forum software is going nut - I can't write

[Edited on 4-7-2016 by 4x4abc]

DianaT - 4-7-2016 at 02:46 PM

Ateo,
Thank you very much for this link to this show----even if it seems to be getting lost with book promotions.

The book promotion is already in other threads --- where it belongs.

dtbushpilot - 4-7-2016 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Ateo,
Thank you very much for this link to this show----even if it seems to be getting lost with book promotions.

The book promotion is already in other threads --- where it belongs.

The thread headed down the drain when rts felt the need to bust DK's balls.....again, as usual. Nobody would have been offended by David's mission picture except his fan club and only 2 of them so far. It really is sad that some folks have so little to do that they have to follow someone around nipping at his heels. :no::no:

rts551 - 4-7-2016 at 04:46 PM

David T. Sounds as if you are speaking for every one ("Nobody would have been offended ") is that an elected position or self appointed. From my perspective I would have rather heard about the PBS special than viewed someones ad.

PS I do a lot more than follow this forum. Since I spend the majority of my time in BCS, there is always a fish to catch!

dtbushpilot - 4-7-2016 at 05:02 PM

Then ignore it

Hard to ignore when the pictures start flashing up. I would if I could somehow turn them off. Sorry Ateo for ruining your thread.

You already apologized for ruining Ateo's thread, I suppose that gives you the green light to keep it swirling the drain. How about giving the endless DK obsession a rest, it really is tiresome.

4x4abc - 4-7-2016 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

You already apologized for ruining Ateo's thread, I suppose that gives you the green light to keep it swirling the drain. How about giving the endless DK obsession a rest, it really is tiresome.

we desperately need a "Like" button

Fernweh - 4-8-2016 at 09:36 AM

Ditto

David K - 4-9-2016 at 08:42 AM

Watched the show (thank you, Jon for the post)... and it was mostly about Cabrillo and the Spanish sea voyages trying to find the current to Asia... in the beginning.

Then there was a nice interview with Harry Crosby about the Camino Real trail and his time on it going back to the 1960s when he was the photographer for The Call to California and his own books that followed.

A few missions were shown and mentioned... I look forward to the next episode.

LancairDriver - 4-9-2016 at 09:03 AM

David T. Sounds as if you are speaking for every one ("Nobody would have been offended ") is that an elected position or self appointed. From my perspective I would have rather heard about the PBS special than viewed someones ad.

PS I do a lot more than follow this forum. Since I spend the majority of my time in BCS, there is always a fish to catch!

I thought the fishing was exceptional in BA, why are you so perpetually miserable?:?:

rts551 - 4-9-2016 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

I thought the fishing was exceptional in BA, why are you so perpetually miserable?:?:

BA? Me, I am a happy guy. Having the best time of my life. And if I need a real good belly laugh, I come over here and check out your posts.

Have a nice day.

bajaguy - 4-9-2016 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

BA? Me, I am a happy guy. Having the best time of my life. And if I need a real good belly laugh, I come over here and check out your posts.

Have a nice day.

This board needs a troll button/icon

motoged - 4-9-2016 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Harald,
While rarely sharing my esteemed opinion on matters on this
forum ( :rolleyes: )...and while frequently enjoying your adventure pics/intel/quips.....

I have to stick to my guns and oppose the cretinous culture of Futzbook et al re: "LIKE" buttons....:

it reduces one's consciousness to a single digit IQ rating for a start....omits any semblance of intelligent response of any depth....and keeps the simplistic notion of "It's either this or that" with no middle ground (like Hitler's b*stard son)...

And besides, Harald....you are smarter than that.... :light: :biggrin:

4x4abc - 4-9-2016 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Harald,
forum ( :rolleyes: )...and while frequently enjoying your adventure pics/intel/quips.....

I have to stick to my guns and oppose the cretinous culture of Futzbook et al re: "LIKE" buttons....:

it reduces one's consciousness to a single digit IQ rating for a start....omits any semblance of intelligent response of any depth....and keeps the simplistic notion of "It's either this or that" with no middle ground (like Hitler's b*stard son)...

only if your post is meant as a satire your emoticons make sense - they are on a lower (childish) level than the like button

willardguy - 4-9-2016 at 10:33 AM

Harald,

yeah I don't know about the "like" button, but I sure appreciate the "blocking and hiding" feature! :yes: and of course that door swings both ways.

motoged - 4-9-2016 at 10:37 AM

Harald,

only if your post is meant as a satire your emoticons make sense - they are on a lower (childish) level than the like button

Well....some satire is childish....let's leave it at that.

4x4abc - 4-9-2016 at 11:50 AM

Well....some satire is childish....let's leave it at that.

Well, if it was a satire, then the emoticons are necessary decoration (not childish at all)

and hey, let's take it easy - drink some Margaritas and enjoy Baja. We are very fortunate that way.

motoged - 4-9-2016 at 12:15 PM

I'm chillin'..... sarcastically and satirically...... and liking it.

[Edited on 4-9-2016 by motoged]

4x4abc - 4-9-2016 at 01:11 PM

blocking someone? I thought we live in a free society - free speech etc

bezzell - 4-9-2016 at 03:39 PM

how come the germans can never really grasp the free speech concept ?

TMW - 4-9-2016 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

Please explain yourself, what do you mean by free speech concept.

4x4abc - 4-9-2016 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

heck, we germans don't have TV, cars and telephone. Free speech? Never heard of it. You lucky Mericans - you have it all.
Mercedes? Not German - made in Alabama.

norte - 4-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

I have been away for a while, will this special be rebroadcast? That is what this thread is about, right?

David K - 4-9-2016 at 08:07 PM

Yes, Sunday. Also, on their website.

Bajatripper - 4-10-2016 at 09:05 AM

Don't know about that, seems like it's on topic--and you'd better believe that if I ever have a book available, I'll be doing the same!

Congrats on the book, David.

[Edited on 4-10-2016 by Bajatripper]

David K - 4-10-2016 at 11:16 AM

Thank you Steve.

fdt - 4-10-2016 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
I have been away for a while, will this special be rebroadcast? That is what this thread is about, right?

You ca see it online also on the KPBS site. BTW I am not a big fan of Elsa Sevillas show but I liked this video.

http://video.kpbs.org/video/2365703149/

I liked seeing the Cabrillo Ship. Not to deviate fromm the Baja subject but if yyou are interested, one of Huell Howsers last shows was the building of a replica of Cabrillo's Ship, you can see that video here: https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/2015/07/09/c...

David K - 4-10-2016 at 04:44 PM

That is great Ferna, thanks for the links! It was really good to see Harry still kicking... he hadn't been doing so well lately.

:bounce:

The book he was a photographer for (The Call to California, c1968) was a huge favorite of mine, as a kid, and had me wanting to travel El Camino Real by ATV (so I envisioned).

dtbushpilot - 4-10-2016 at 04:47 PM

You're not trying to sell that book are you David?:lol::lol:

fdt - 4-17-2016 at 04:48 PM

Episode 2 is available online now http://video.kpbs.org/video/2365703158/

Ateo - 4-17-2016 at 04:55 PM

Thanks for the link. Just got back from Baja a few minutes ago and gonna watch this episode. Thanks.

David K - 4-17-2016 at 06:29 PM

More Baja missions in the second episode... but they skipped several, and were confused about San Borja (saying the stone church was built 100 years after it was founded... unless I heard it wrong?).

The ruins they showed at Guadalupe were (once) identified as the long-abandoned military base that was set up at the mission site. The mission foundation was pointed out to us by museum personnel, about 100 meters to the north of that ruin, on the edge of the terrace, overlooking the river valley. Both are inside the museum park area.

Then a large portion of the TV was devoted to Agua Caliente hot springs east of Ensenada... Interesting, but kind of off topic.

fdt - 4-17-2016 at 09:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Then a large portion of the TV was devoted to Agua Caliente hot springs east of Ensenada... Interesting, but kind of off topic.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of Elsa Sevilla. Notice on minute 4:44 how she places her bare hands on top of the pictures and presses down with the entire weight of the top part of her mexican body. The pictures actually are stuck to her hands when she lifts them. She does it again on minute 5:29. On minute 6:53 they've removed the pictures from that part of the table so she can rest her body and cause no harm.
As for the Agua Caliente part, I agree, nothing to do with the subject matter, the current owner is interviewed and who knows where they are from because the part of the talk is about the early Californios he purchased from some chinese people. Yes, totally off topic.
Now as I also mentioned before, I'm enjoying this series. I liked #1 more than #2.
The funniest parts, on both 1 and 2 is that she thinks a mission is a church and she states that, not knowing that the mission was the entire establishment, followed by the presidio and ...

A this point, episode 2, I must say that even though I am not her fan, I prefer Elsa than having to see an episode of crossing south with the clown jorge meraz.

mtgoat666 - 4-17-2016 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
I prefer Elsa than having to see an episode of crossing south with the clown jorge meraz.

I sort of like that clown. He comes from the mold of eager local access tv goofballs,... He amuses me.
I agree he is a clown, but like all good clowns, he amuses us, so can't complain about that.

David K - 4-18-2016 at 06:36 AM

Jorge is maybe copying the Huell Howser style in his shows? Another "relaxed" style presenter is Sam the Cooking Guy. However, Sam is actually funny to watch instead of being just embarrassing.

gsbotanico - 4-18-2016 at 06:23 PM

Jorge Meraz on Crossing South can be goofy at times. Yet I watch his program for the parts that are informative. His latest include a camel ride in Rosarito (!) and eating at Laja in Valle de Guadalupe. He also has an interesting interview with the present owner of the Rosarito Beach Hotel and a tour of the private home there.

I too thought the segment on Rancho Agua Caliente was not relevant. I was there on a very hot day in October last year on the way to Cava de Marcelo. No guests were there, but the manager did give us a tour. I learned some things about the history of the hot springs on the Elsa Sevilla's show.

CortezBlue - 4-18-2016 at 09:49 PM

Is this sponsored by Special K

fdt - 6-23-2016 at 03:17 PM

Starts again tonight at 8PM on KPBS with episode 5

Episode 5 airs Thursday, June 23 at 8 p.m. & repeats Monday, June 27 at 4:30 a.m. (early morning) - In this episode: Manila Galleon, Cecut Museum, and Jesuit priest authors. Before the Jesuit Priests arrive in the Baja California Peninsula, it's the Spanish explorers on the Manila Galleon that help pave the way for Spanish colonization. Join Host Elsa Sevilla on a brand new series about Baja California and the impact it had on San Diego and Alta California.

David K - 6-23-2016 at 05:36 PM

DVR is set, let's hope for a little accuracy!