BajaNomad

The Obsession of Carter Andrews BCS coming

BajaBlanca - 4-13-2016 at 05:13 PM

Baja California Grouper
Carter and Julio catch and release even more gulf grouper and broomtail grouper off the coast of Baja California in part 2 of all-new episode! See the Obsession of Carter Andrews this week on the Outdoor Channel, Tue Apr 12 at 9:00 am ET, Thu Apr 14 at 9:00 am ET, and Sun Apr 17 at 10:00 am ET. Fishco Pesca Deportiva Sea Vee Boats Mercury Marine Raymarine Fish Shimano Fish G.Loomis YETI AFTCO - American Fishing Tackle Co. Yo-Zuri America. Inc. Hogy Lures Cuda Brand Columbia Sportswear SPOT LLC. Mustad Hooks

https://www.facebook.com/theobsessionofcarterandrews/videos/...

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2016 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Baja California Grouper
Carter and Julio catch and release even more gulf grouper and broomtail grouper off the coast of Baja California in part 2 of all-new episode! See the Obsession of Carter Andrews this week on the Outdoor Channel, Tue Apr 12 at 9:00 am ET, Thu Apr 14 at 9:00 am ET, and Sun Apr 17 at 10:00 am ET. Fishco Pesca Deportiva Sea Vee Boats Mercury Marine Raymarine Fish Shimano Fish G.Loomis YETI AFTCO - American Fishing Tackle Co. Yo-Zuri America. Inc. Hogy Lures Cuda Brand Columbia Sportswear SPOT LLC. Mustad Hooks

I think catching releasing bottom fish just kills the fish. Better to kill it and eat it, and stop killing fish when you hit your daily limit. People that catch no release all day long re simply killing above their legal daily limit.

No challenge to catching grouper. Just jig a treble hook on plain lead and the dumb fish will bite it.

[Edited on 4-14-2016 by mtgoat666]

woody with a view - 4-14-2016 at 11:46 AM

I'll be at Day at the Docks Saturday looking to upgrade my gear. Looking for a deal on a two-speed reel and other things to throw money at.

BajaBlanca - 4-15-2016 at 10:20 AM

have fun!

DaliDali - 4-15-2016 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
I'll be at Day at the Docks Saturday looking to upgrade my gear. Looking for a deal on a two-speed reel and other things to throw money at.

Accurate Fury 600N 2-speed or an Avet HX narrow 2-speed will be as much as you will ever need.......unless you're out for some cows.
80lb spectra topped with 50lb mono.......

Retail runs $390 for the Accurate and $370 for the Avet.
Get one of each.......don't cheap out on these.:lol:

On edit.....some tackle dealers will spool up with FREE spectra and mono!!

[Edited on 4-15-2016 by DaliDali]

DaliDali - 4-15-2016 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Baja California Grouper

I think catching releasing bottom fish just kills the fish. Better to kill it and eat it, and stop killing fish when you hit your daily limit. People that catch no release all day long re simply killing above their legal daily limit.

No challenge to catching grouper. Just jig a treble hook on plain lead and the dumb fish will bite it.

No challenge my azz......I have jiggled every manner of jigs, bait and bare hooks for 15 years in the SOC, spent thousands on fuel, gear and beer and have caught ONE 60# gulf grouper.

Absolute top of the line eating........

woody with a view - 4-15-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Accurate Fury 600N 2-speed or an Avet HX narrow 2-speed will be as much as you will ever need.......unless you're out for some cows.

My fave Capitan said to rig up with 100# is that overkill for these reels?

[Edited on 4-15-2016 by woody with a view]

DaliDali - 4-15-2016 at 11:45 AM

My fave Capitan said to rig up with 100# is that overkill for these reels?

[Edited on 4-15-2016 by woody with a view]

Yes......how many times will you be angling for 200# plus tuna?....
And even if the Accurate 600 Fury or Avet HX were spooled with 100#....there is not enough line capacity sufficient for cows, nor drag power.

As it is.....50# test in really really tough to bust if hung up on the rocks......I have to wrap it around a duck taped piece of wood to be able to hold on.
Trying to hold the spool will eat your fingers up.....can't do it.

For cows, the bigger models Accurate or Avet can handle it. Or a big model Penn International......but bring MORE $$$, or a fully loaded CC for either.

Typical SOC or Baja West coast yellowtail, or the occasional grouper, wahoo or smaller tuna.....the Accurate 600N or Avet HX will be plenty, with lots of muscle to spare.

BornFisher - 4-15-2016 at 11:58 AM

Woody--- You`re going to have the place to yourself until Sunday. Now you owe me a beer!!!!

woody with a view - 4-15-2016 at 12:14 PM

Good save! Beer and tacos on the house. When we going fishing?

Bajahowodd - 4-15-2016 at 04:59 PM

Baja California Grouper

I have to agree.

BornFisher - 4-15-2016 at 09:10 PM

OK-- Woody-- we`ll go fishing when the south swells come and the YT bite over the reefs. And of course, the giant spot fins will be biting in the surf. AND---- beer and tacos to consume!!!
DallDall-- no need to wrap your line around your hands if you have a strong rod holder. Just put 3 or 4 wraps around your reel and let your boat break things.
Odd-- Why do you have to agree with Goat? Any research?
Blanca-- Sorry for the hijack!

mtgoat666 - 4-15-2016 at 09:50 PM

Last week we fished for half day and got 4 leopard grouper, 15 pounders. Jigging from panga, and fly fishing from shore. Also got trigger fish, and smallish sea bass (used small guys for hand lining with live bait, but no luck going for big grouper)
Find some rocky bottom.
Easy peasy.

Baja California Grouper

No challenge my azz......I have jiggled every manner of jigs, bait and bare hooks for 15 years in the SOC, spent thousands on fuel, gear and beer and have caught ONE 60# gulf grouper.

Absolute top of the line eating........

chuckie - 4-17-2016 at 07:29 AM

I am watching this show right now...They are catching grouper in 40 feet of water and releasing them...Once again proves that Goatley and Wodd have their head up their burro...