BajaNomad

NORRA 4 Wheelers

TMW - 4-15-2016 at 09:05 AM

I counted 122 cars, buggies, UTVs and trucks. That's 154 total with MCs.

David K - 4-17-2016 at 07:47 AM

Do you see the NORRA style of motorsports in Baja as growing and the SCORE style under Roger Norman's leadership shrinking?

bajatrailrider - 4-17-2016 at 08:07 AM

David you forgot Record racing,its getting big. Rogers Leadership legendary,or lack of. Has sent many racers away.

David K - 4-17-2016 at 10:00 AM

Hi Larry,
I was only comparing the two organizations but am aware of Record, CODE and other organizers of Off Road Racing in Baja.

Do you recall BRA (Baja Racing Organization)? They ran the Baja 300 race out of Santo Tomás back in the 70's. I have photos of Ivan Stewart who won the 1975 Baja 300, in a buggy...

Here it is, August 1975:

A couple years later (1977 Baja Internacional) in Ensenada, on Inspection Day, before the race... Ivan (in white SCORE shirt) still racing buggies, before Toyota grabbed him:

[Edited on 4-17-2016 by David K]

willardguy - 4-17-2016 at 10:31 AM

I think as baja is becoming just an extension of california you'll be seeing more racing on the mainland, rally-raid. here's a great tutorial, last weeks sonora rally was a huge success, I think roger's SCORE days are numbered! (jmo of course);)

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/sonora-rally-smart-people-ra...

David K - 4-17-2016 at 10:41 AM

Agree... there is a limit to the number of Trophy Truck racers and fans. However, if you make SCORE in the manner envisioned by Mickey Thompson and Sal Fish then all types of vehicles and spectator fans are included... that is motorcycles as well as four wheeled racers.
This began as a time run from Tijuana to La Paz and it was bikes, Jeeps, and buggies with a few specialty rigs that tried to have the fastest time down the peninsula when the 1000 miles was more than 800 miles of unpaved road... and most of those were not graded.

surfhat - 4-17-2016 at 11:22 AM

Thanks for the exciting coverage of the mainlands' recent rally race. I was instantly reminded of a former landlords 28 day race in SA in a VW buggy that went back and forth over the Andes. I don't know what ever happened to that rally, but it inspired me to watch every Dakar race that followed in the years to come.

I question why the current Dakar in SA retains that moniker. They deserve their own appellation. Dakar is legendary and why it allowed itself to be transposed to SA is questionable.

One of these days Dakar will hopefully be safe enough to resurrect but to call the SA rally Dakar somehow goes against the grain. Dakar cannot be duplicated in SA.

Paris to Dakar, Lisbon to Dakar is its own. SA Dakar, not so much. Bring on the criticism folks and agree to disagree. The Dakar cannot be the Dakar in SA.

TMW - 4-17-2016 at 11:51 AM

I agree on Dakar.

It appears that Roger Norman is more interested in Trophy Trucks than the other vehicles, especially motorcycles. To a degree I can understand it since everybody loves to see a high powered TT go blasting by verses a class 11 or 5 and it sells better to the TV audience. Sal was open to anyone that wanted to race. If their wasn't a class he would make one for you. It is also interesting that the side by sides are one of the bigger classes racing SCORE. I'm guessing due to the cost.

I think in the future SCORE may start using the rally type format for the 1000 race.

willardguy - 4-17-2016 at 12:13 PM

but can they keep their cool logo?

STOKED TO SEE IVAN RAMIREZ GOING TO DAKAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!