BajaNomad

Riding from the border to LA Paz on the dirt

JZ - 4-24-2016 at 02:29 PM

What's the most logical route?

How much pavement you have to do?

Anyone got a map?

[Edited on 4-25-2016 by JZ]

David K - 4-24-2016 at 05:40 PM

Kacey Smith' Baja GPS Guide volumes 1 & 2 will have all the m/c routes. Basically Tecate south via Laguna Hanson, Mike's Sky Rancho, Los Martires, and then either the gulf side or Pacific side ... an interesting trip indeed.
www.bajagpsguide.com

Gulliver - 4-24-2016 at 09:31 PM

The Gulf side after San Ignatio gets complicated. If you will be under much time pressure then heading to the Pacific side after San Ignatio will push your daily distances up a lot.

For instance, the back way to ex-mission Guadalupe from San Jose de Magdalena is now impassable. No joke. Helicopters only.

honda tom - 4-25-2016 at 11:25 AM

If you and your group are first timers, a AAA map will be a good guide. A good plan would be to start in san felipe (arrange some storage for your tow vehicle, lots of resources here for that) San felipe to Gonzaga to Bay of Los Angeles. South to San Francisquito out to El Arco and down to San Ignacio. FROM HERE.... you should head to the Pacific side, through San Juanico and south (this will keep you off of much of the pavement to Mulege and Loreto)
Around Constitution you can head back out to the gulf side through San Evaristo and south to La Paz.
There are so many options and side trips, but this is good basic travel with minimal asphalt for the miles covered. The AAA map is a good basic map (if the route is on it ....its likely passable, some almanac routes are not)
Also if you have your heart set on starting on the Pacific side look at the NORRA 2016 maps in the off roading forum here. If your going soon youll be able to still see the tracks.
BTW... when do you plan on going?

bent-rim - 4-25-2016 at 12:04 PM

A group of bikepackers are creating a 2000 mile 90% off road route from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. It's not complete yet. I can't remember if I first saw it here or somewhere else.
link: https://bajadivide.com

[Edited on 4-25-2016 by bent-rim]

woody with a view - 4-25-2016 at 01:41 PM

Here I was reading two weeks to Cabo? Then saw the peddle bikes!

dtbushpilot - 4-25-2016 at 01:43 PM

Hopefully the goat will post a trip report of the 2000 mile ride.

[Edited on 4-25-2016 by dtbushpilot]