BajaNomad

Transport of 26 foot travel trailer to Rosarito

Maron - 4-24-2016 at 05:18 PM

Hope this is the correct forum for the question. We want to buy a 26 foot travel trailer and have it transported (hauled) from Orange County to South Rosarito. Any suggestions on who to contact for quotes. etc. Any personal experiences would be appreciated as would what paperwork would be required. The travel trailer will not return NOB.

Alm - 4-24-2016 at 10:01 PM

It doesn't matter that it won't return NOB. Procedure is the same - it must have valid registration and license plates. Or at least temporary paper plates. Not "moving permit" from dealer, but a registration. The only other paperwork would be a few days Mex insurance on RV, you can buy it online. After that, you just tow through SY or Otay.

But, if you want to "import" it - not that you have to - then it's a different story.

I don't understand what quotes you are looking for. There are dozens of RV dealerships in SoCal. There are also one-stop portals to narrow down the search, http://www.rvtrader.com for example.

[Edited on 4-25-2016 by Alm]

chuckie - 4-25-2016 at 06:01 AM

Strange question...Anyone with a hitch should be able to do it...

weebray - 4-25-2016 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Strange question...Anyone with a hitch should be able to do it...

I'll have to totally agree. You could haul a small trailer with a suv or car. Hook it up and drive it down. If anyone asks, you're on vacation.

Maron - 4-25-2016 at 06:51 AM

Thanks for the input. Guess I wasn't clear. Don't have a hitch or tow vehicle. Am looking to pay someone to haul it down, rather than rent a truck/car and have to return it promptly.

Thks

chuckie - 4-25-2016 at 07:27 AM

Gotcha....Maybe one of the frequent traveler Nomads could help?

Alm - 4-25-2016 at 11:49 AM

Rental pickup will likely be the cheapest and the easiest way.

Paying somebody with his own car to spend all day, going to dealer with you, waiting at the border - they always inspect trailers, answering questions about car and trailer registered to different persons, possibly taking liability if anything happens - this is a lot to ask from somebody.

woody with a view - 4-25-2016 at 01:35 PM

Seems like a five hundred dollar bill would do the trick. Is it a ball hitch or 5th wheel? I might know a guy.

mtgoat666 - 4-25-2016 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Rental pickup will likely be the cheapest and the easiest way.

Paying somebody with his own car to spend all day, going to dealer with you, waiting at the border - they always inspect trailers, answering questions about car and trailer registered to different persons, possibly taking liability if anything happens - this is a lot to ask from somebody.

Not a lot to ask of somebody. There are a number of businesses that transport boats, RVs, travel trailers. You can google them up.

weebray - 4-25-2016 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
Thanks for the input. Guess I wasn't clear. Don't have a hitch or tow vehicle. Am looking to pay someone to haul it down, rather than rent a truck/car and have to return it promptly.

Thks

Gotcha! Here's the deal. Buy an old Buick or ???? really cheap. Get a moving permit from DMV to get car to a repair shop. Hook up the trailer, tow it to Mexico, sell it to a Yonke or just walk away from it. If you're a little clever you can break even on this deal. I've done something like this a few times in my sorted career.

woody with a view - 4-25-2016 at 02:44 PM

Sordid, or assorted?

weebray - 4-26-2016 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Sordid, or assorted?

Sordid

chuckie - 4-26-2016 at 06:34 AM

Was it a singular sordid event or assorted sordid events? :o

willyAirstream - 4-26-2016 at 08:29 AM

contact
www.acvlogistics.com
they can hook you up