BajaNomad

Surf Fishing question

Tommy A - 4-25-2016 at 09:53 AM

Thinking of going to Los Cabos area in June, and would like to do some surf fishing. Found a condo next to the Hilton Los Cabos, water looks relatively calm but is there any type of good surf fishing there, and if not there any recommendation? Going with girlfriend so don't want to rough it. Thx

Russ - 4-25-2016 at 07:20 PM

I think you'd have a lot of fun with heavy trout gear in the 10# or less gear. Spoons in the 5/8 to 1 once range. I like krockidiles, hopkins and cast masters. Soft lures also in the 5/8 to 1 oz. range also. The split tails in white work well up here. Maybe take an extra spool of line in case you hook into a large one in the jack family. Even if you don't catch just having your toes in the water dreaming of the big one would be worth the time. The locals are good folks and they may invite you to their secret spot. Have fun in the sun!

[Edited on 4-26-2016 by Russ]

Udo - 4-25-2016 at 07:48 PM

You are a magician, Russ!

Russ - 4-25-2016 at 08:13 PM

Sure, Udo, I can talk fishing gear as well as any. Especially with something to drink. But I've had a real problem with the catching.
I blame all the damn nets. Not my magic skills.

weebray - 4-26-2016 at 06:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tommy A  
Thinking of going to Los Cabos area in June, and would like to do some surf fishing. Found a condo next to the Hilton Los Cabos, water looks relatively calm but is there any type of good surf fishing there, and if not there any recommendation? Going with girlfriend so don't want to rough it. Thx

Bring a book.

BajaMama - 4-26-2016 at 07:36 AM

Gulp baits are fun with a lead head.

vandenberg - 4-26-2016 at 08:20 AM

Had good luck with bait, mussels, shrimp, squid etc, 2 hooks on a 4 ft leader with a 2 ounce weight.
Try to cast beyond the breakers.

woody with a view - 4-26-2016 at 08:36 AM

Shrimp or squid from the local market.

Udo - 4-26-2016 at 09:22 AM

Especially on your side of the water.
Basis Asunción is still kicking!

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Sure, Udo, I can talk fishing gear as well as any. Especially with something to drink. But I've had a real problem with the catching.
I blame all the damn nets. Not my magic skills.