BajaNomad

Sentri Lanes at San Ysidro, TJ from Rosario.

BajaMama - 4-26-2016 at 08:34 AM

Hi all, I think I have asked this before but I don't remember... I will be heading north from Baja Sur in June, using Sentri Lanes for first time in TJ, San Ysidro crossing. Is the free Highway 1 a safe route through TJ? I don't know TJ at all, have only driven the toll road to the San Ysidro crossing. But on all the maps, it looks like taking free Hwy 1 from Rosarito will take me directly to Padre Kino, which will take me to the Sentri Lanes.

Thoughts? I am not looking for the shortest route, just the less complicated! I am a middle aged woman and will be solo this last leg of the trip.

simple

bajaguy - 4-26-2016 at 08:40 AM

If you want simple and less complicated, take Blvd 2000 from the toll road and cross at Otay.

After you cross, you will be on the 905....take it to the 805 or the 5

nandopedal - 4-26-2016 at 09:12 AM

Yes mama you are right, it will take you to Padre Kino the only kicker is the traffic all the way from Rosarito into TJ, depending on the time of day it may take up to an hour or more of stop and go.

SlyOnce - 4-26-2016 at 09:13 AM

I live in TJ, driving Highway 1 is safe, just use normal MX driving precautions (be careful of buses and taxis, collectivos, and let people who want to speed and dart about go ahead of you).

On the other hand, I would just take the Cuota, getting to the SENTRI lanes is simple get off at Ocampo, hit the center lane under the bridge between the 2 concrete walls (formerly painted on the road medical lane), and make that U turn at the glorietta (follow the taxis).

Udo - 4-26-2016 at 09:21 AM

From Corridor 2000 drive to the Mc Donalds. Make a right. Go over the two topes and make a left at the beige house. Drive 100' make a right and drive to the traffic light. When the light turns green turn on the street next to the car wash. In 1000' you'll be at the SENTRI gates.

You can get a bird's eye view if you use googlemaps or googleearth.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If you want simple and less complicated, take Blvd 2000 from the toll road and cross at Otay.

After you cross, you will be on the 905....take it to the 805 or the 5

willardguy - 4-26-2016 at 10:18 AM

thirty miles from popotla to the otay sentri lane.....I'd opt for the free road to SY! ;)

gsbotanico - 4-26-2016 at 11:00 AM

I would opt for the free road to San Ysidro too. I do it every week in afternoon commuter traffic. It's certainly safe enough. Best to do it between 9 am and 3 pm when traffic is lighter. Good advice above about letting the hotshot drivers race ahead. I would add to not run any of the yellow lights and to avoid the inner lane if another driver is following behind too closely. Where there are only two lanes in each directions, sometimes the outer lane can be very slow with a vehicle that probably shouldn't even be on the road. Where there are three lanes in each direction, the middle lane is probably best.

BajaMama - 4-27-2016 at 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the input - I think I will try the Blvd. 2000/201 route, it looks simple enough and I don't mind the few extra miles. Plus it looks like something I can follow easily!