BajaNomad

Question for the Baja California map expert, DK

fdt - 4-26-2016 at 03:05 PM

On the trailer for the new documentary about Harry Crosby, Los senderos de la peninsula, on minute 00:54, Harry is showing a very large map and is saying that he knows of no other single piece of work that provides such a range of information. Do you know this map? Is it a map?

Here is the trailer https://vimeo.com/158758712

Isaac Artenstein from Tijuana is producing it and they showed the trailer last month in La Paz during the film festival.

fdt - 4-26-2016 at 03:27 PM

Or does anyone else know?:light:

BornFisher - 4-26-2016 at 03:40 PM

Trailer was great. That map was the biggest map I`ve ever seen!!!!

fdt - 4-26-2016 at 03:46 PM

With so much information maybe it's a book with a giant fold out map?

gsbotanico - 4-26-2016 at 04:00 PM

Excellent trailer! Any estimate when the documentary will be finished? I'm eager to see the whole thing. The final photograph of the three men is so intriguing. All three look very Spanish. And Arce and Villavicencio are two of the oldest surnames in Baja.

BajaNomad - 4-26-2016 at 04:23 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Missions-California-Peninsula-Spanish-...

"Includes a foldout map six feet long and many illustrations and photos."

91cJ77qzlOLb.jpg - 210kB

Bajahowodd - 4-26-2016 at 05:04 PM

Obviously not Bing Crosby's son.

fdt - 4-26-2016 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
http://www.amazon.com/Missions-California-Peninsula-Spanish-...

"Includes a foldout map six feet long and many illustrations and photos."

The answer was right there, lol. That's what limited information comes from just a trailer :lol::lol:

Thanks Doug

David K - 4-26-2016 at 05:25 PM

Hi Ferna,
I see Doug has produced the folding map cover...

Yes, it is big, totally useless in the field. It is fun as it is so huge to open up for a short time on a big table or the floor. Maybe it is good for some kind of wall decoration if torn from the cover... or a quick look.

The map is not very accurate showing the location of El Camino Real, just approximate.

The mission details and photos on the back side are wrong in many places.

When the book/map was officially introduced at the San Diego Presidio Museum, I was there as was Harry Crosby (who signed it as he was a contributing author). Ed Vernon (author Las Misiones Antiguas) contributed some of his mission photos to it as well... We hoped it would be super cool.

This was in 2008, and I think both Ed and Harry were very disappointed at the time, as was I, that more care wasn't used in the data on the missions.

[Edited on 4-27-2016 by David K]

BigBearRider - 4-26-2016 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

No, but Robbin Crosby's father:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbin_Crosby

4x4abc - 4-26-2016 at 08:43 PM

that "map" is a total waste of money

Gulliver - 4-26-2016 at 09:08 PM

For what it's worth, this is not history. It is today. Yesterday at the Pemex South of Mulege who should be gassing up his old Toyota in front of me but Felix Villavicencio. Still riding the back country West of Mulege in the Raymundo Canyon/Estanislau country but also bouncing into town for some gas and groceries.

Pictures I have of him on horse back with traditional gear look just like ones from generations ago. Just in color.

He says that the reason there are so many Arces is that the coyotes never learned to eat them.

One of the most useful techie items I have learned to bring down here is a printer and some photo paper. When visiting with families I can take pictures (digital of course) and then print and frame them before my next ride out there. Much appreciated by these working families.

I recommend it if you are going to be in an area for a while.

willardguy - 4-26-2016 at 09:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

No, but Robbin Crosby's father:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbin_Crosby

don't know about harry, but robbin had one hell of a ride!:yes:

fdt - 4-26-2016 at 10:41 PM

On the interview, Harry seemed to think very highly about it. Oh well. Tanks all.

mtgoat666 - 4-27-2016 at 06:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
On the interview, Harry seemed to think very highly about it. Oh well. Tanks all.

The nomad reviewers special k and abc4 are just being grumpy,... It's a nice publication, enjoyable to read. Does it have "mistakes?" Who knows? Does it matter? Probably not.

David K - 4-27-2016 at 07:19 AM

The cover is cool. It is the 1757 Jesuit map, as my book also uses on the cover and the whole map plus some of the drawings are inside my book.

Bajahowodd - 4-29-2016 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
For what it's worth, this is not history. It is today. Yesterday at the Pemex South of Mulege who should be gassing up his old Toyota in front of me but Felix Villavicencio. Still riding the back country West of Mulege in the Raymundo Canyon/Estanislau country but also bouncing into town for some gas and groceries.

Pictures I have of him on horse back with traditional gear look just like ones from generations ago. Just in color.

He says that the reason there are so many Arces is that the coyotes never learned to eat them.

One of the most useful techie items I have learned to bring down here is a printer and some photo paper. When visiting with families I can take pictures (digital of course) and then print and frame them before my next ride out there. Much appreciated by these working families.

I recommend it if you are going to be in an area for a while.

Shari and Juan, take notice. Any coyotes in and around Asuncion? :lol:

David K - 4-29-2016 at 04:39 PM

Funny stuff! 'Bajo California', is a great movie about the Arce family tree!

Gulliver - 4-29-2016 at 05:44 PM

Teddi, the mule lady, is working on a family tree of most of the old families in the hills. Even getting DNA samples to help sort things out.

David K - 4-30-2016 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Teddi, the mule lady, is working on a family tree of most of the old families in the hills. Even getting DNA samples to help sort things out.

Her handle on Baja Nomad is "Baja Bucko"...

If you hang out on the Camino Real, the mission road through California that connects the missions and visitas and presidios back to Spain, then you will cross paths with Baja Bucko... We enjoy her singing at the campfire at Mision Santa Maria de los Angeles, in May 2010:

Here is a cross table photo I took of Neal Johns and Baja Bucko, dinner at Ed's 'Baja's Best Restaurant and Bar', El Rosario, 2010...

Teddi (Baja Bucko) and I when I met her in April, 2001: