BajaNomad

Champagne

alacran - 4-26-2016 at 09:06 PM

To all Champagne lovers, this evening I opened a bottle of Mexican Champagne, here in Mexico known as "Chambrule", as in several times in the past, always the top has been VERY hard to remove, well this time it EXPLODED and put a 2 inch cut in my chest, through my shirt.
Thanks that it not hit my face.
Be careful al champagne lovers.

micah202 - 4-26-2016 at 09:45 PM

...whodathunk champagne was so deadly!? <;-O

alacran - 4-26-2016 at 09:55 PM

Almost, but it still was ok.

Udo - 4-27-2016 at 07:36 AM

:(

David K - 4-27-2016 at 07:48 AM

Sorry!!! Wow...

motoged - 4-27-2016 at 10:02 AM

When I open champagne (infrequently these days... :( ), I place a tea-towel or some such fabric over the cork and twist it out....trying to avoid the pseudo-celebratory "pop" and such injuries.

But now you have another good story...:yes:

woody with a view - 4-27-2016 at 11:03 AM

Ged, I'm calling BS. Sham-pag-knee?

motoged - 4-27-2016 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Ged, I'm calling BS. Sham-pag-knee?

Hey, Barney.....why drink sham-pag-knee when I can mix up a Marg?

Huh?

chuckie - 4-27-2016 at 01:52 PM

Now I know why you never buy those beers you promised..too bizzy with the sham pag nee, eh?

motoged - 4-27-2016 at 02:18 PM

Chuckie,
I am always good for a beer promise...do I have to find you on the Kansas plains to make good, or will you be in Baja next winter?

But you really should let me make you a Marg....Woody can attest to their wonderful flavour...

(Woody, insert tailgate pic here....)

chuckie - 4-27-2016 at 03:15 PM

I doubt I will be in Baja, BUT I may be in BC this summer...My boys and I are headed to New Zealand to do some fishing and then may fly to Vancouver for a Cruise deal...." I may go to hell, or even Vancouver, but I'll always be Albertas child" (Ian Tyson)...

Udo - 4-27-2016 at 03:41 PM

Drop by Ensenada (near the blow hole) in a month or so. You are welcome to spend the night.

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Chuckie,
I am always good for a beer promise...do I have to find you on the Kansas plains to make good, or will you be in Baja next winter?

But you really should let me make you a Marg....Woody can attest to their wonderful flavour...

(Woody, insert tailgate pic here....)

bajabuddha - 4-27-2016 at 04:15 PM

...I'll stick to my tee martoonies, they tickle my innards and not my nose. Plus those damned bubbles exploding in my brain give me such a headache, let alone without getting corked in the eye...
:coolup:

alacran - 4-27-2016 at 09:53 PM

I liked all the comments, my incident was minor T,G. However an eye would have been much more serious.
This was just a note of precaution.

mtgoat666 - 4-27-2016 at 10:56 PM

When I open champagne (infrequently these days... :( ), I place a tea-towel or some such fabric over the cork and twist it out....trying to avoid the pseudo-celebratory "pop" and such injuries.

That's no fun. Half the fun of drinking a bottle is uncorking the bottle and shooting the cork, outdoors, indoors, just make sure to have fun shooting projectile

chuckie - 4-28-2016 at 02:27 AM

Ja Ja!

woody with a view - 4-28-2016 at 04:33 AM

Ged is a mix master!

chuckie - 4-28-2016 at 05:19 AM

I maybe mixed up some folks when I said I would be in BC this summer..Thats British Columbia for a change...I scarfed Pizza with Ged one night in Mulege but never had a chance to savor his mixology..Maybe this year...

BajaMama - 4-28-2016 at 07:05 AM

We have sparkling every Sunday while in Baja (to go with eggs benedict of course). However, I think ours has a screw top!

Glad you survived the cork. No fun.

bajabuddha - 4-28-2016 at 09:46 AM

Live dangerously; open the cork with a machete. :cool: (medical insurance applies)

Lousy Champagne ?

MrBillM - 4-28-2016 at 10:46 AM

The subject reminded me of a "Movie" that I'd seen many years ago titled "Champagne Charlie" (1989) Starring Hugh Grant as Charles Heidsieck.

As one who would buy a bottle of Piper-Heidsieck to bring in the New Year back in the '60s-'70s, I found the movie (mini-series) OK at the time.

Checking out Netflix last night and finding it available, I found that, reading the reviews, it was considered by just about ALL as a REALLY LOUSY movie in virtually every respect.

NOW, I have to wait for it to arrive to revisit what I must have missed.

As to the Champagne itself............................THAT is another example of the illusion of Nostalgia.

Or, perhaps, the aging of the Taste-Buds ?

A few years back, before New Years Day, I ran across an outlet selling Piper-Heidsieck and bought a bottle.

Finding it disappointing.

Some things are best simply "remembered".

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by MrBillM]

durrelllrobert - 4-28-2016 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

That's no fun. Half the fun of drinking a bottle is uncorking the bottle and shooting the cork, outdoors, indoors, just make sure to have fun shooting projectile

That's how this guy ended up with a free Ipad not made by Apple: