BajaNomad

Advise on a Honda Generator that will not run

aguachico - 4-28-2016 at 08:09 PM

Pulled out the genny and she would not start. Cleaned the carb and she will start briefly but shutoff and she will only start with the choke on.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

1. new fuel
2, cleaned card. jets, gaskets replaced.
3. removed the finger filter
4. new spark plug
5. changed the oil

a. air filter in or out same issue
b. fuel is flowing, just not sure how much should
c. ordered a new fuel pump.

YOU TUBE VIDEO LINK IS HERE

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by aguachico]

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by aguachico]

sledneck - 4-28-2016 at 09:15 PM

Check the oil level, most have a low oil shut off.

vandy - 4-28-2016 at 09:21 PM

Barring a vacuum leak (like a cracked plastic spacer between the carb and motor), it still sounds like a carb problem.
I had one do this and had to eventually replace the carb.
Problem fixed

At least there's hope

dtbushpilot - 4-28-2016 at 09:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sledneck  
Check the oil level, most have a low oil shut off.

The low oil shutdown could be faulty also, un plug it and try to start it, only takes a minute to eliminate it as a potential problem...after checking the oil level of course...

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by dtbushpilot]

WestyWanderer - 4-28-2016 at 11:01 PM

is there a fuel filter? If so might be worth cleaning out or removing and seeing if that fixes your problem. I agree with Vandy, sounds like some sort of fuel delivery issue to me.

Below is the link for a great video on how to clean the carb of a Honda EU2000 generator, I would bet my last dollar if you follow the video and clean the jets out really well your generator will fire right up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhNy2lfJCEE

Good Luck!

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by WestyWanderer]

aguachico - 4-29-2016 at 04:48 AM

Great info!

I oil try the low oil switch. I removed the finger fuel filter from underneath the tank.

Once in my many times of cleaning that darn carb, she turned over and started running rough. She would not run strong enough for the strator to produce power.

Here's a video of her running rough.

https://youtu.be/zdjHtUX3Fkc

KaceyJ - 4-29-2016 at 06:54 AM

The oil sensor pretty much works or doesn't. I doubt that's your problem. Clean the carb again, especially the main nozzle and main jet. Also, if you can , take a dremel tool or pointy die grinder and carefully grind off the limiter tab on the idle mixture adjustment needle then remove it . Be careful to record its original setting by screwing it in till it bottoms and counting turns. Soak the carb for at least a few hours in a mixture of carb cleaner and if you can find it Mechanic in a Bottle. Blow all passages out with compressed air . I just went thru 2 eu2000's this way and it helped a lot.

Hook - 4-29-2016 at 07:23 AM

Since it's partially running, searching for an electrical/electronic problem should be way down on the list of things to test. The sensor was an easy one, so no harm trying that. It's fuel delivery related.

I've had similar problems with a Yamaha genny. I just needed to be more thorough in the carb cleaning. It took two cleanings.

It's such a pain that I RELIGIOUSLY go through the process of making sure that I run the generator dry (I even add Stabil to the last tankful, in case anything remains in the carb system) before a long period where I dont plan on using it.

Probably your Honda sat for an extended period, the fuel evaporated, leaving that varnish-like residue. I've heard that today's fuels can start to break down in a month's time. Stabil helps a lot.

pacificobob - 4-29-2016 at 08:01 AM

if it runs a bit w/choke,indicating an excessively lean mixture, my money is on a clogged jet. a tiny grain of sand will stop the show. also gum or other funk will yield similar results, as previously stated, fuel stabelizer,and frequent excercise,and super clean fuel, will go a long way to prevent issues like this. best of luck sorting it out

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by pacificobob]

larryC - 4-29-2016 at 08:18 AM

The key to me is that you say it runs with the choke on, that tells me it is not getting enough fuel, I agree with Kacyj, hook and pacificobob, take the carb back off, completely disassemble it and soak it in carb cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air. Also if it is going to sit for extended periods be sure to drain the fuel out of the carb using the drain screws provided. They're the ones with the small plastic tubes connected to them. Good luck with it.
Larry

AKgringo - 4-29-2016 at 08:18 AM

I think that Hook nailed it with the fuel comment. I have had more problems with small engines in the past few years than I ever did in the past. My problem is compounded by the fact that all of my motors sit for months at a time.

Looks like I better do a better job of storing them. CA gas is the worst!

aguachico - 4-29-2016 at 09:05 AM

Good deal guys! Back to the carb today and will let ya know.
saludos

BigBearRider - 4-29-2016 at 09:20 AM

Put the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic gets in all the little nooks and crannies of the carb and cleans in places where the carb cleaner doesn't reach well.

chuckie - 4-29-2016 at 09:40 AM

Good idea, everyone has an ultrasonic cleaner....:?:

BigBearRider - 4-29-2016 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Good idea, everyone has an ultrasonic cleaner....:?:

A little sarcastic, there?

I got an ultrasonic cleaner about 10 years ago. My buddy who has a motorcycle shop got one shortly after I did because it did such a great job of cleaning carbs and other stuff. I'm guessing there are a few ultrasonic cleaners in Baja for the same reasons.

I'm guessing by your response that you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

If fuel is allowed to sit for a while, it tends to gum up the carb. An ultrasonic cleaner is likely to be helpful in cleaning the carb.

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by BigBearRider]

dtbushpilot - 4-29-2016 at 10:43 AM

Here's one for pretty cheap, would probably work fine for a small carb.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZVYAVM/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_...

vandenberg - 4-29-2016 at 10:52 AM

This kind of genny problem is the reason I went propane.

ncampion - 4-29-2016 at 02:35 PM

The jets and passageways in these small engines are very tiny, the smallest bit of deposit or dirt will alter the fuel flow sufficiently to make them run bad or not at all. I agree that a good cleaning is needed, however an alternative is to replace the entire carb. They can be had new for $15 - 20 USD on line. Problem solved - until next time as Vandy mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230573016225?_trksid=p2060353.m2749....

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by ncampion]

weebray - 4-29-2016 at 03:20 PM

Mexican carb rebuild. Rev up engine as high as it will go, stick thumb in carb., do that 4-5X. This works a surprising percentage of the time.

Russ - 4-29-2016 at 04:16 PM

I had a similar problem. The spark arrestor was plugged up. In the muffler area. wire brush and gas

bledito - 4-29-2016 at 04:41 PM

lift it over your head and shake it around a few times to get the fuel into the fuel bowls. if that doesn't do it open the gas fill cap and try it again. if still nothing put a rag in the gas fill spout make sure it' saturated throw a match at it and run

8knots - 4-29-2016 at 05:23 PM

I have had a lot of luck with SeaFoam. I also store my engines with Sea Foam in the tank. Start right up after 6 months....both diesel and gas. Brings my Honda Gen back to life. This subject comes up a lot with small outboards as well.

BajaBreak - 4-29-2016 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
I have had a lot of luck with SeaFoam. I also store my engines with Sea Foam in the tank. Start right up after 6 months....both diesel and gas. Brings my Honda Gen back to life. This subject comes up a lot with small outboards as well.

Sea Foam is great preventative care. I had a similar problem with a 7hp Honda outboard. Cleaned it a few times, soaked the jets, etc., but would just never idle right or start easily. Finally got another carb and always ran like a charm. I finally decided that the problem carb was just unfixable, like it had a small hole in the casting making it impossible to tune right.

The jets in these small motors are so small that it doesn't take much to gum them up(but be careful you know where that tiny jet will fly if it gets out of your hand with the compressed air!).

I would definitely look at any potential air leak routes between the head and carb(sometimes rubber/plastic, and have an o-ring), because it definitely sounds air fuel related, as it will run with the choke.

Hope you get it figured out.

CortezBlue - 4-29-2016 at 10:03 PM

Did you clean the carb by taking it apart and soaking parts?

If so, there are a few very tiny holes that you need to run a small stiff wire through. These holes get varnished up and and have to be pushed out.

I have a cheapy generator and I had the same problem and when I cleaned the small hole, it fixed it.

ehall - 4-30-2016 at 06:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Good deal guys! Back to the carb today and will let ya know.
saludos

If it only runs with choke on pilot jet is plugged ( at least that's what it usually is on dirt bikes)

BajaBlanca - 4-30-2016 at 09:58 AM

what an interesting thread....so many suggestions.

what say you Art? Did you fix it?

55steve - 4-30-2016 at 11:28 AM

There are a drilled passages in the carb body that the main jet & pilot/idle jet supply fuel to - these can be tough to get clean.

ncampion - 4-30-2016 at 12:39 PM

Like I said earlier, a brand new carb is only $15.

ehall - 4-30-2016 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Like I said earlier, a brand new carb is only $15.

I missed that before. New carb for sure. Cheap troubleshooting.

msteve1014 - 4-30-2016 at 05:02 PM

Cheap china carb. May not fit or run right. You get what you pay for. Clean the old carb. It's the pilot, or idle system, they have the smallest holes and will plug first. Do not push a wire in the jet or passage way. Maybe a toothbrush, nothing stiffer.

doublelimits - 4-30-2016 at 08:10 PM

If it's like my Honda 2000, it is probably the small jet that is located on the top outside of the carb below the idle speed screw.
You turn the idle speed screw in counting how many turns until it seats, write that down, when you reinstall it, you want to return it to it's otiginal location. Now remove the adjusting screw, once it is out you can remove the jet from below, it should pry up fairly easy. The orifices are tiny, try blowing carb cleaner through or use a very small plastic bristle from a brush.
When I first had this problem, I rebuilt the carb multiple times without success until I figured out this was removable.
Good luck

UnoMas - 4-30-2016 at 09:38 PM

Had the same problem after not draining the fuel from the carb and setting for a long time. Took three times of taking the carb off and cleaning...CortezBlue is right in running a small wire through all holes to dislodge any varnish from old gas and using a good carb cleaner. My fix was a small hole that is in the pin that enters the carb bowl and has several holes in it....Tiny top one plugged and took three times to figure it out....Eye sight is not was it once was....lol.

aguachico - 5-1-2016 at 10:28 AM

FIXED!!

Before I had posted this I tried cleaning the idle jet(plastic) with 30# titanium fishing wire.

So reading all of these great suggestions, specifically about cleaning and spraying with air, I went back at the main jets. I could light thru the jets, then I took the wire to the main jets and BANG, the hole was much bigger. I also took the air to the intake jet of the carb side.

So CortezBlue - you are sport on!

She's purring like a kitten.

One note - I had purchased a main jet with the rebuild kit. I cleaned the old jet and could see light. I never bothered to open the package of the new to see how big the hole should be - DUH!

Also - Today when I pulled the carb bowl o-ring off I stretched it out. Opps. There was not way to get it back on. So I dug the old one out of the trash. jiji. It worked

Muchas Gracias for all the great info.

I scoured you-tube, called honda and didn't get a fraction of the info you offered. I'm out $60 bucks in parts, but I learned quite a bit and saved $140 as the local shop wants $200 to service a $1000 part. go figure.

saludos

[Edited on 5-1-2016 by aguachico]