BajaNomad

Anyone use Blue Cross Dental insurance in TJ?

woody with a view - 4-29-2016 at 04:28 PM

Anyone have any names of dentists who take Blue Cross?

Bajahowodd - 4-29-2016 at 04:37 PM

Pardon my immense ignorance, but I have always thought that folks who go to dentists sob do not have any dental insurance.

That said, I would be pleasantly surprised if any US dental insurance companies would cover procedures in Mexico. I dunno.

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by Bajahowodd]

woody with a view - 4-29-2016 at 05:01 PM

It doesn't hurt to ask.

SFandH - 4-29-2016 at 05:08 PM

These folks might take Blue Cross.

http://www.dentaltijuana.com/dental_insurance.htm

Bwana_John - 4-29-2016 at 05:17 PM

I thought BC/BS was administered through the individual state.

When I moved to AZ from CA I had to change to the AZ BC, my BC coverage from CA was not good in AZ, and the years I had been paying into CA BC/BS were worth nothing when I went to AZ BC/BS.

RnR - 4-29-2016 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Anyone have any names of dentists who take Blue Cross?

Not in TJ, but I have in La Paz.

However, there are no preferred providers that "take" Blue Cross insurance.

You pay the dentist for the services provided. Then, submit your claim to the Blue Cross plan. The claim is paid at the "non preferred provider" allowance specified in your plan.

The problem -
The billing from the dentist has to have the correct procedure billing code in order to be accepted by Blue Cross. The Mexican dentists have no idea what the "procedure billing codes" are. I contacted Blue Cross for a list of the codes and then helped the dentist properly code his billing statement. It is a bit of a hassle, but they will reimburse you after the fact.

CaboMagic - 4-29-2016 at 05:44 PM

Hope this helps
http://denticenter.com/
Got this from Elena La Loca in January.

woody with a view - 4-29-2016 at 05:50 PM

Not willing to jump through hoops, but knowing that TJ dental work is 1/2 or better the cost of our co-pay is what's driving this.

Thanks for the input. I'll update my findings.

bajalearner - 4-30-2016 at 12:12 AM

Yes, I've used my BC/BS for 6 years with 2 dentists in Tijuana. The dentist submits a claim and BC sends me a check in my name. I CASH IT AND PAY THE DENTIST.

woody with a view - 4-30-2016 at 08:08 AM

Bajalearner which dentist do you use?

[Edited on 4-30-2016 by woody with a view]

fdt - 4-30-2016 at 08:31 AM

Woody, call Dr. Sam's office, they take insurance.

http://vmdentalgroup.com/home.php

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Pardon my immense ignorance, but I have always thought that folks who go to dentists sob do not have any dental insurance.

That said, I would be pleasantly surprised if any US dental insurance companies would cover procedures in Mexico. I dunno.

Yes, US insurance companies have accepted claims from certified dentists in México for decades and the reason for going to a dentist in Tijuana is not necessarily because someone does not have insurance but because of the lower rates for procedures and with the same or sometimes better quality, US dental insurance would cover the entire cost of most any kind of work you have done on your teeth without having to pay any type of copay fees.

[Edited on 4-30-2016 by fdt]