BajaNomad

Providing Directions

motoged - 5-4-2016 at 02:41 PM

Nomads,
When providing directions to a Baja location, please refer to north south, west, and/or east rather than "left or right".... as these are sometimes useless when not knowing from which direction the info provider is traveling.

Lat and long can be helpful, but not everyone uses GPS (I do sometimes).

Just sayin....

Gracias

bajaguy - 5-4-2016 at 02:52 PM

And maps, don't forget the maps!!

bajajudy - 5-4-2016 at 02:55 PM

Yes don't forget the maps

Maron - 5-4-2016 at 03:08 PM

Excellent suggestion/recommendation.

thks

bajabuddha - 5-4-2016 at 03:12 PM

....And piktchurs, pleeze! :biggrin:

willardguy - 5-4-2016 at 03:28 PM

maps yes! from the time of the jesuits to views from the space station please! :bounce:

woody with a view - 5-4-2016 at 03:31 PM

I'd rather not. When in doubt keep turning left.

TMW - 5-4-2016 at 03:40 PM

If you don't have a compass how is east, west, north and south going to help? If you are given a starting point then left, right and straight have a real meaning. I have a compass in my GMC but not my Tacoma. Also my GMC only shows N, S, E, and W. What about NE and SW etc. One could get really lost.

SFandH - 5-4-2016 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you don't have a compass how is east, west, north and south going to help? If you are given a starting point then left, right and straight have a real meaning. I have a compass in my GMC but not my Tacoma. Also my GMC only shows N, S, E, and W. What about NE and SW etc. One could get really lost.

Yeah man, which way is up? I've been accused of not knowing. ;) But I hear ya. I was thinking about NE, SE, SW, and NW. And then there NNE, SSE, etc.

But, making a left, then another left, then another left, then another left doesn't get you far.

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by SFandH]

MMc - 5-4-2016 at 03:50 PM

Why don't we tell each other where the spot is and we figure it out ourselves.

All of my cars have a tide guide and a compass.

Sun rises in the east, sets in the west. if your right shoulder is towards the rising suns arch, you are facing north.

Udo - 5-4-2016 at 03:53 PM

MAPS!

Who needs maps!

Travel by instinct.

North/South...the ocean is on one side. West...the ocean...East...the mountains.

Quote: Originally posted by bajajudy  
Yes don't forget the maps

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by Udo]

SFandH - 5-4-2016 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Sun rises in the east, sets in the west. if your right shoulder is towards the rising suns arch, you are facing north.

Yes, and when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars you're getting close to Tres Santos.

chuckie - 5-4-2016 at 03:56 PM

If you can't tell E-W-N-S on the Baja peninsula? You better stay in Oxnard....

willardguy - 5-4-2016 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
If you can't tell E-W-N-S on the Baja peninsula? You better stay in Oxnard....

:lol: actually after years and years boating the channel islands I still have a hard time wrapping my head around anacapa island being due south!

woody with a view - 5-4-2016 at 04:04 PM

upstream=north
downstream=south

willardguy - 5-4-2016 at 04:08 PM

george with the cane..."its because you're standing oposite to me, right,right...wrong"

bajabuddha - 5-4-2016 at 04:12 PM

my favorite direction is, "the OTHER right".... :biggrin:

oh yeah, an' one more...... "Turn left right here!" "WHICH ????" :bounce:

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by bajabuddha]

Udo - 5-4-2016 at 04:15 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
george with the cane..."its because you're standing oposite to me, right,right...wrong"

DENNIS - 5-4-2016 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
I'd rather not. When in doubt keep turning left.

That's correct. If you keep turning left, pretty soon you're going right. Right?

woody with a view - 5-4-2016 at 06:26 PM

Left.

DENNIS - 5-4-2016 at 06:44 PM

Right on.

4x4abc - 5-4-2016 at 06:47 PM

had a client many years ago
4x4 trip
I rode shotgun
a nasty spot comes up
I say "Slow down!"
he doesn't react
I say "Stop!"
no reaction
and it's getting dangerous
I scream "STOP!"
he turns to me
"What do mean with "Stop"?"
then we hit the ditch

left/right, NSWE, maps, satellite, pictures, make a turn at the yellow house (which direction?), go straight for 45 minutes (at what speed?) etc

they are all good or bad - depending on the operating system of the receipient.
plus, when the receiving end doesn't have the right processing power, they are destined to be lost

but hey, that's why there is SPOT and InReach

BajaBill74 - 5-4-2016 at 06:52 PM

Reno is farther West than Los Angles. So the directions are go to L.A. and head West.:?:

BajaMama - 5-5-2016 at 06:05 AM

Ya'll are funny! Since my car has only USA/Canada GPS I loaded Mexico into my old Garmin Nuvi 750. Is fabulous, tells me when to make three lefts, one right, even knows the dirt roads. Just hone in Google Earth to get GPS coordinates, enter them in and off you go!

chuckie - 5-5-2016 at 06:06 AM

And then, there is the tooth fairy!

David K - 5-6-2016 at 08:30 AM

Sometimes to go one direction, you first need to go an opposite direction...

The highway NORTH from downtown La Paz first goes SOUTH!

La Paz is on the EAST COAST of Baja, but the sea is to the WEST!

Baja has many interesting contradictions!

AKgringo - 5-6-2016 at 09:11 AM

Without looking first, what would be your compass heading traveling through the Panama Canal, from the Pacific to the Atlantic? (sorry for the mini-jack)

Udo - 5-6-2016 at 09:41 AM

East

bajabuddha - 5-6-2016 at 10:43 AM

From the Pacific to the Atlantic one travels mostly due north in the Panama Canal.

SFandH - 5-6-2016 at 05:31 PM

And if you're at the geographic north pole you can go only in one direction. Take a guess.

AKgringo - 5-6-2016 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
From the Pacific to the Atlantic one travels mostly due north in the Panama Canal.

North by north west was the answer I was looking for, but 'mostly north' is close enough.

Buddah, you are a winner!

That statement is not just a compliment, that is your prize!

BajaBill74 - 5-6-2016 at 09:42 PM

Name the states that are the farthest North, South, East, and West. (just one more hijack.)

AKgringo - 5-6-2016 at 10:02 PM

Alaska is the farthest north of US states. It is also the farthest west, and east as well since the end of the Aleutian Islands is technically on the Eastern Hemisphere, due north of New Zealand!

At least you gotta gimme North and West!

bajabuddha - 5-7-2016 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
Name the states that are the farthest North, South, East, and West. (just one more hijack.)

North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota and South Carolina, West Virginia, and ..... "Down-East" Maine?

bajabuddha - 5-7-2016 at 01:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

North by north west was the answer I was looking for, but 'mostly north' is close enough.

Buddah, you are a winner!

That statement is not just a compliment, that is your prize!

Now, I believe North by Northwest was a Carey Grant movie, not to be confused with the Panama Canal that was plotted much before the screenplay was written. Plus to be frank you said "No fair lookin' first!" so I didn't; just relied on my superior intellect of geographical locations and the Isthmus positioning.

HOWEVER; I humbly accept this award and accolade on behalf of myself and the National Compass Brain Society (as humility is one of my strongest points as those who know me personally will attest to...) and I hope it goes down in the Anals (pun intended) in Nomanlandia Geographic Magazine and maybe, just maybe makes it to one of DK's maps, books, or publications.

NOT. :cool: :lol:

chuckie - 5-7-2016 at 02:43 AM

EPIC!

David K - 5-7-2016 at 07:44 AM

AKgringo - 5-7-2016 at 07:52 AM

Classic Dave! I for one, like it when you find and post maps that illustrate the topic so well (even when things go slightly off-topic, like this did).

[Edited on 5-7-2016 by AKgringo]

David K - 5-7-2016 at 09:06 AM

Well, as stated to go from the Pacific east to the Atlantic, you must go north-west through the canal!