BajaNomad

Cabo Pulmo eastcape roads

nobaddays - 5-5-2016 at 06:11 AM

Anyone traveled the East cape coastal road through Cabo Pulmo to San Jose del Cabo?

BajaUtah - 5-5-2016 at 07:29 AM

Last February from La Ribera to Boca del Saldo. Easy graded road to that point

Cancamo - 5-5-2016 at 09:10 AM

Rental sedans transiting daily. Although wash board can be 5-6" in places, the only time it's impassable is immediately after rain events. Just drop the air down in the tires, 18lbs.

Cancamo - 5-5-2016 at 09:11 AM

Oh, yah the other time it's impassable is during a race, like last week.

toronja - 5-5-2016 at 09:20 AM

Agreed. There's quite a bit of tourist traffic from both south and north to Cabo Pulmo, so they seem to keep it in pretty good shape. The rains can create a mess though, so keep an eye on the weather.

Cancamo - 5-5-2016 at 10:38 AM

Negative on keeping in good shape, the only time it's consistently graded is before and after Semana Santa, at times around Christmas, and sometimes after a race,( if the promoters pay for it).
AND in years past at the requests by the more diligent sub deligados.

But frankly, that's the way we like it, Bad roads = Good people.

toronja - 5-5-2016 at 12:50 PM

You and I clearly have different definitions of "bad roads", cancamo. Anything a rental sedan can negotiate without damage is a highway by baja norte standards.

imlost - 5-5-2016 at 04:14 PM

"Bad roads = Good people"
I totally love that.

You don't typically need a 4x4. We've done it in a car many times. If you want that washboard to smooth right out, the solution can be found at 50 mph. Watch for cows, horses & goats.

Paulclark - 5-5-2016 at 07:45 PM

This week the road was graded from Rincon to Los Frailes, Frailes to Vinorama is fair after NORRA but no issues, over the top through Palo Escopeta is Fair to good and on to the airport good ----say 1 1/4 hours from Los Frailes to Hwy 1. The coast road from Vinorama to the pavement at Shipwrecks is a s good as it has ever been. 10 miles from Vinorama to the pavement. Currently I go from Castillo de Arena to downtown San Jose in less than 1 hour on the coast road.