BajaNomad

Good meat

alacran - 5-7-2016 at 07:11 PM

To all muleginos and neighbors, I found a good source of SONORA beef, it is great quality (tried the New York stakes, and ribs) all very good.
Not cheap but good meat.
If interested will pass the info.

Good meat

alacran - 5-7-2016 at 07:16 PM

To all muleginos and neighbors, I came across a supplier of SONORA beef.
(tried the New York steaks and ribs) very good.
Not cheap but very good.
If interested in the supplier let me know.

bezzell - 5-7-2016 at 07:31 PM

'good meat' :lol::lol::lol::o ... any Koolaid to go with ??

Sal

captkw - 5-7-2016 at 08:12 PM

The store right before the bridge on the right has been selling it for years.. Nice old guy too !!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 5-7-2016 at 11:40 PM

Hola,

can you give an example of prices ?

gracias,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Russ - 5-8-2016 at 05:19 AM

Is that Pancho's on the right side heading south?

chuckie - 5-8-2016 at 05:41 AM

Pancho speaks excellent German....just sayin.....

BornFisher - 5-8-2016 at 07:55 AM

Hard to beat good meat on a long camping trip.

durrelllrobert - 5-8-2016 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

Remids me of the song "it's a treat to beat your meat on the Mississippi mud"

www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/deanmartin/mississippimud.html

bajabuddha - 5-8-2016 at 12:33 PM

There used to be a 'yuppie'-type grocery store in Salt Lake City back in the '60s that had a sign with a marquis out front that read, "YOU MAY BEAT OUR PRICES BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT OUR MEAT!".

The owner was a pretty religious sort, and the sign mercifully changed after several weeks when an employee finally mentioned the..... mistake..... :lol:

Pancho's "Yellow Store" has been an iconic landmark in Mulege for what seems like centuries. He would let all the beach campers fill their tanks and barrels with city water in hopes of them spending a few pesos with him; speaks fluent English and loves discussing intelligent topics with travelers.

His store was devastated by the last major floods; all his coolers shorted out, parts of his foundations were washed away. He nearly lost everything, but as a true Mulegeņo, dug out and rebuilt. Every time i'd visit the town I would stop in and purchase whatever I could from his meager remainder of stock just to try to help out a little, and say "Hola" to the wonderful old guy in the stocking cap and heavy coat. I heard a story of why he dressed so heavily even in very warm weather, but won't repeat it here.

Wonderful man.

alacran - 5-8-2016 at 12:50 PM

Pancho, started his business in the seventies, by driving his pick up truck the green one he still has, to the campers on the beaches, with onions, potatoes etc.
But y very much doubt he has Sonora beef.

chuckie - 5-8-2016 at 12:57 PM

His shelves have been pretty bare for a long while...I really like him...sad...He used to carry REAL Cuban Cigars...

Udo - 5-8-2016 at 01:21 PM

:bounce:

dtbushpilot - 5-8-2016 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
Pancho, started his business in the seventies, by driving his pick up truck the green one he still has, to the campers on the beaches, with onions, potatoes etc.
But y very much doubt he has Sonora beef.

So I guess the "meat merchant mystery" continues....:lol::lol:

Hook - 5-8-2016 at 03:14 PM

I can understand the reticence to reveal on the WWW.

I made the mistake of publicizing good wines I found in the local Wallys World. Almost immediately, it was always sold out. I learned my lesson.

willyAirstream - 5-8-2016 at 03:58 PM

Special orders only, Order during the week, pick up Friday late afternoon or Saturday. Great prices and very friendly people. No English. K Shawna, Santa Rosalia, Call or message on Facebook - Julian Zazueta

julian.jpg - 71kB

Genecag - 5-8-2016 at 05:01 PM

Helping our fellow neighbors in the world is a blessing to all. Cheers!

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

There used to be a 'yuppie'-type grocery store in Salt Lake City back in the '60s that had a sign with a marquis out front that read, "YOU MAY BEAT OUR PRICES BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT OUR MEAT!".

The owner was a pretty religious sort, and the sign mercifully changed after several weeks when an employee finally mentioned the..... mistake..... :lol:

Pancho's "Yellow Store" has been an iconic landmark in Mulege for what seems like centuries. He would let all the beach campers fill their tanks and barrels with city water in hopes of them spending a few pesos with him; speaks fluent English and loves discussing intelligent topics with travelers.

His store was devastated by the last major floods; all his coolers shorted out, parts of his foundations were washed away. He nearly lost everything, but as a true Mulegeņo, dug out and rebuilt. Every time i'd visit the town I would stop in and purchase whatever I could from his meager remainder of stock just to try to help out a little, and say "Hola" to the wonderful old guy in the stocking cap and heavy coat. I heard a story of why he dressed so heavily even in very warm weather, but won't repeat it here.

Wonderful man.

bajabuddha - 5-8-2016 at 07:36 PM

OK, Alacran doesn't wish to share but just tease. For years and years I would go into Saul's in Mulege and find either El Jefe or his son, and ask ''what's in the frizzer?" and they'd cut it on the band-saw in the back. NEVER disappointed, except for the smoked pork chuletas ahumados; always too strong anywhere in Baja.

In Sta. Rosalia, the store way above town had a frizzer also, with certain cuts if you asked for, and special cuts. Trick is, get to KNOW YOUR BUTCHER. Every store has one, and every one has their 'special cuts' for special clientele. Can't remember it now, but one street north of the main drag in Loreto even had lamb and exotic meats, but boy, did you pay for 'em! It's all there, and THAT'S THE ADVENTURE.

alacran - 5-8-2016 at 09:41 PM

If I would not have liked to share, I would not have mentioned in BN.
Read the start of my post.
Anyone serious enough (not all the meat betters) can have the info.

bajabuddha - 5-8-2016 at 09:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
If I would not have liked to share, I would not have mentioned in BN.
Read the start of my post.
Anyone serious enough (not all the meat betters) can have the info.

Ah, the alacran and the caguama. They meet on the shoreline while the bushes behind are burning. Says the alacran to the caguama: "Please, ferry me across the estrero por favor... "

To the alacran, the turtle says, "If I do you will sting me."

"If you don't, I will perish!"

"Get on!", says the scorpion. He paddles to the far shore, lets off the wretched creature, and just as predicted, POW! Right on the ol' schnozzola, the Tortuga gets the tine.

"Why did you sting me after saving you?!??" Said the shelled person.

........... "Because it's my NATURE..." said the Alacran.

So don't tell us. It's a u2u thing, right? I'd hate good news to get out, especially in Baja's economy when someone just might benefit.

Hook - 5-9-2016 at 05:46 AM

I eat a fair amount of Sonoran beef, though I probably only eat steak about once every two months, these days.

Over here, it seems like T-bones are the most consistently good cut. In the States, I was mostly a NY steak guy. They vary a lot, down here.

Rib eyes can be too fatty and rich for me.

Filet mignon, or what they call tenderloin down here, is nice and tender but lacking in flavor.

T-bones seem to have the firmness in texture (unlike ribeye or filet) and the flavor of a bone-in cut, when cooked on the grill.

Of course, this is a very subjective assessment but, of others who live in Mexico, what cut seems to be the most consistent, in your area? Is it Sonoran beef?

MitchMan - 5-14-2016 at 07:18 AM

The best place I have found to buy OK priced, fresh Sonoran beef is at Walmart in La Paz. They always have it in both Rib Eye, Top steak and T-Bone. Often times their T-Bone is actually porter house, though not always.

The best place to get pork is in the center of town. There is a group of fish, meat, and produce markets together with down home authentic classic Mexican eating places all under one roof. Believe it is on Nicolas Bravo, about 3 or four blocks from the malecon. I buy pork spare ribs there, but they cut them differently than they do in the USA. You get a thick layer of meat and fat on top of the ribs, whereas in the USA, you only get the ribs. $76 MXN/kilo = $2.00/Lb USD. Barbecue one of those babies after applying a good rub 3 days prior to the barbecue and you will have some fantastic pork that will even make your beer taste better than ever.

shari - 5-14-2016 at 07:45 AM

On the topic of good meat, I want to share where we get ours. The healthiest meat is organic free range stuff and so we go to our favorite ranches and pick out the young goat or lamb the size we want and the rancher butchers it and cuts it up how you want. That meat is divine...for meat that is....and it helps the local economy too...win win!

Depending on the ranch, a small goat is about 400 pesos and more for a lamb but well worth it. I really love it BBQ'd or stewed or baked....those baby ribs are insanely delicious. Ask your amigos what ranch to go to and make it a cultural experience! Bring the rancher some cold beer to drink while he dresses your dinner.

Fernweh - 5-14-2016 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
The best place I have found to buy OK priced, fresh Sonoran beef is at Walmart in La Paz. They always have it in both Rib Eye, Top steak and T-Bone. Often times their T-Bone is actually porter house, though not always.

The best place to get pork is in the center of town. There is a group of fish, meat, and produce markets together with down home authentic classic Mexican eating places all under one roof. Believe it is on Nicolas Bravo, about 3 or four blocks from the malecon. I buy pork spare ribs there, but they cut them differently than they do in the USA. You get a thick layer of meat and fat on top of the ribs, whereas in the USA, you only get the ribs. $76 MXN/kilo = $2.00/Lb USD. Barbecue one of those babies after applying a good rub 3 days prior to the barbecue and you will have some fantastic pork that will even make your beer taste better than ever.

The market/s is known to the locals as Mercado Municipal, yes, it is on Nicolas Bravo Y Guillermo Prieto.
Also great chicken from the chicken man, located in there as well.

MitchMan - 5-15-2016 at 06:46 AM

All chicken in BCS is fantastic! The Bochco Chickens are small, but the meat is incredibly delicious and tender. I swear, sometimes its hard to tell the white meat from the dark meat in flavor and texture. Head and shoulders above anything you can buy in the USA.

Ley, Soriana, and Aramburo, and some of the local little stores also carry these huge chicken leg and thighs that rival the size of turkey legs and thighs. The price per kilo is often half that of the Bochco chickens and they are almost always frozen, but they are not nearly as tender or tasty as the Bochco chickens. These big pieces are great for chicken soup or the like, and are definitely good enough for enchiladas, burritos and tacos, or barbecued if you put a good rub on them and let them set in the fridge for 3 days prior to barbecuing.