BajaNomad

Old timers &tears in my eyes!

KurtG - 5-9-2016 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Does anyone, besides me, remember the Brass Monkey sidecar Rally and Party ???? I think it was held for about two years...Jake died, and his body wasn't found for a while, and apparently was eaten by his cats, who couldn't get out of the house...I heard that from Fred Hoctor one evening at the bar in the Serenidad, and everyone knows Fred would NEVER spin a windy...
Tears? In 1976, I was an alternate rider for the ISDT which was held in Zeltweg Austria...My wife Sally and I travelled with John Penton and entourage to Austria...A man named Beno Rodi and his wife were in the group. While surfing the net today, "American Pickers" was in Beno's shop!!! He hasn't changed much, brought back a ton of memories..I didn't get to ride, but we drank a lot of beer, and had an unforgettable time!
WOW!

Yes, I knew Jake for years and saw him shortly before his demise and it was clear he wasn't doing well. Pompano certainly knew him longer and better than anyone else still around. The Baja crowd from 40+ years ago was certainly a little rough around the edges but so was I so I fit right in.