BajaNomad

Fishing closed from San Lazaro to just south of Punta Abreojos for 4 months

Mula - 5-12-2016 at 05:05 PM

Yesterday at a big junta in Puerto A Lopez Mateos the ball was dropped.

All fishing except for catch and release is banned.

Maybe someone with better translation capabilities can put this into simple English for us.

from the Sudcalifornio:
El Sudcaliforniano
12 de mayo de 2016

Elías Medina P.

La Paz, Baja California Sur.- En Puerto Adolfo López Mateos, y acompañado de funcionarios estatales, federales y municipales, el delegado de la Sagarpa, César Estrada Neri, se reunió con cooperativistas del llamado Golfo de Ulloa para informar a la comunidad pesquera de los alcances del acuerdo de la Sagarpa recién emitido, en donde se cancelan las pesquerías en esa región costera durante los próximos 4 meses, a fin de evitar un embargo pesquero de parte de Estados Unidos hacia México, luego de las acusaciones de grupos ambientalistas que difunden la versión de que los pescadores son los causantes de la mortandad de tortuga amarilla, entre otros, el despacho denominado Centro Mexicano de Derecho Ambiental con sede en la ciudad de México.

Allí, Estrada Neri informó que para mitigar la falta de actividad durante estos cuatro meses, el gobierno destinará una bolsa de 65 millones de pesos como compensación en efectivo, además de 7 millones de pesos para proyectos de acuacultura.

Informó, además, que el polígono afectado por esta medida que originalmente medía 884 mil hectáreas, se amplió a un millón 900 mil hectáreas de refugio pesquero.

Detalló que para el cálculo de la compensación se tomará como base la producción de cada unidad en los últimos 5 años, sacando un promedio del valor a efecto de determinar el monto del apoyo; en los casos donde represente cantidades mínimas, se ampliará hasta 10 mil pesos por unidad, -es decir por panga-, lo que significa que cada pescador recibiría como mínimo 1,250 pesos a la semana.

Habrá otros casos donde los pescadores registren grandes volúmenes, y estarían alcanzando hasta 200 mil pesos al mes durante mayo, junio, julio y agosto.

Esta veda de cuatro meses aplica solo para las pesquerías de escama y afectará a casi mil jefes de familia de 46 organizaciones de la región que inicia en Puerto López Mateos y llega hasta el sur de la región de Punta Abreojos, aunque la cooperativa de esa comunidad no entra en este esquema.

Finalmente, Estrada Neri destacó que la decisión tomada por el secretario de Agricultura de decretar esta veda total de 4 meses, tiene como propósito demostrar que los pescadores nada tienen que ver con la mortandad de tortuga que se registra en esa región desde hace varios años.

En los próximos días, Estrada Neri y funcionarios estatales y municipales visitarán el resto de las comunidades ribereñas en donde también se va a prohibir la pesca, para explicar los alcances de esta veda.

En esta reunión que tuvo lugar en Puerto López Mateos, estuvieron presentes el alcalde de Comondú, Francisco Pelayo; el director de Ordenamiento Pesquero de la Conapesca, Víctor Arriaga; el secretario de Agricultura y Pesca del gobierno del estado, Andrés Córdova Urrutia; el subdelegado de Pesca estatal, Fernando García y los delegados de la Semarnat, Jorge Iván Cáceres Puig y de la Profepa, Saúl Collins Ortiz.

[Edited on 5-14-2016 by Mula]

BigBearRider - 5-12-2016 at 09:52 PM

I hope this doesn't mean the fishermen will just take the money and go fish the Sea of Cortez.

Rossman - 5-13-2016 at 03:29 AM

I am not totally comfortable with my translation abilities but I think first of all the ban includes the area from Puerto Lopez Mateos {Mag Bay area) extending north to an area just south of Punta Abreojos. The fishermen from Abreojos Co Op are not included in this scheme. The article is directed specifically towards commercial fishermen and lays out a compensation plan for those fishermen affected by the ban. The article does not address any sport fishing subjects and nothing was mentioned about catch and release. The article explains the ban is a result of pressure from US environmental groups who blame fishermen in this area for Loggerhead turtle deaths.

woody with a view - 5-13-2016 at 07:05 AM

[Edited on 5-13-2016 by woody with a view]

DaliDali - 5-13-2016 at 08:08 AM

Beware of US based environmental groups using economic extortion tactics to force compliance to fit their agendas.

weebray - 5-13-2016 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Beware of US based environmental groups using economic extortion tactics to force compliance to fit their agendas.

Right! Just look at the disaster in Cabo Pulmo....

Udo - 5-13-2016 at 11:54 AM

And Tres Santos!

shari - 5-13-2016 at 02:32 PM

there are several dead turtles on our beach that were clearly killed by nets...hmmm. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.
Seems like it's just between Mag Bay and just south of Pta.Abreojos.

BajaBlanca - 5-13-2016 at 03:32 PM

Mula - did they say at the meeting that catch and release fishing was going to be allowed?

Turtles do indeed get caught in nets, wow, this is going to indeed interesting.

rts551 - 5-13-2016 at 04:32 PM

The coop here is gearing up for increased Vigilancia work.

Mula - 5-13-2016 at 04:51 PM

RTS551 - where are you and the increased vigilancia?

Catch and Release only for sport fishing inside and outside - 70 miles out. And no mining out there, either.

That's what 4 guys have told me - from the Junta Officials. Not the newspaper article.

shari - 5-13-2016 at 07:04 PM

Mula, you may want to change the title as the article states it is only from Mag Bay to a bit south of Punta Abreojos and your title makes it sound like all the way to Bahia Tortugas. Things are slow enough in this area without anglers thinking they wont be able to fish in the central coast area.

shari - 5-14-2016 at 07:18 AM

thanks for changing the title Mula...I sure wish net fishing was banned in our area too....I bet we wouldnt see as many dead turtles & sea lions on the beaches

BajaBlanca - 5-14-2016 at 07:30 AM

we sure wish net fishing would end here too - they no longer allow netting in the lagoon (huge step in the right direction) but they still do it outside that area.

Mula - rts551 lives in Punta Abreojos, which is 10 miles south of us (on the Pacific Ocean) in La Bocana. One exits highway 1 between San Ignacio and Vizcaino.

Bajaboy - 5-14-2016 at 07:33 AM

Yes be careful of agendas:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/14/worlds-sm...

Environmentalists warned on Friday that Mexico’s vaquita marina, the world’s smallest porpoise, was close to extinction as the government reported that only 60 were now left.

Mexico to employ drones in tracking endangered porpoise species

The population has dramatically dropped despite the arrival of navy reinforcements in the upper Gulf of California in April 2015 to enforce a ban on fishing gillnets blamed for the vaquita’s death.

The porpoise’s population had already fallen to fewer than 100 in 2014, down from 200 in 2012, according to the International Committee for the Recovery of the Vaquita (CIRVA), a global group of scientists.

Mexico’s environment ministry said in a statement a joint study with CIRVA between September and December estimated the latest population at “around 60”.

“The vaquita is at the edge of extinction,” the World Wildlife Fund said in a statement, warning that 20% more have probably died in nets since January.

The vaquita’s fate has been linked to another critically endangered sea creature, the totoaba, a fish that has been illegally caught for its swim bladder, which is dried and sold on the black market in China.

Poachers use illegal gillnets to catch the totoaba and the vaquita, a shy 1.5-metre-long (5ft) cetacean with dark rings around the eyes, is believed to be the victim of bycatch.

President Enrique Peña Nieto imposed a two-year ban on gillnets in April 2015 and increased the vaquita protection area tenfold to 13,000 square kilometres (5,000 square miles).

He deployed a navy patrol ship with a helipad, a dozen high-speed boats and two planes to enforce the prohibition.

Environment minister Rafael Pacchiano said three vaquitas had been found dead and that protective measures needed to be reinforced, but federal authorities are convinced the vaquita can still be saved.

He urged the local population to report illegal activities.

The Mexican government agreed to compensate local fishermen in a $30m-a-year program to give up gillnet fishing while they look for safer alternative nets.

But navy sailors said during a tour of their mission in April that they were catching gillnets every day – three to 10 times the length of a football field, often ensnaring totoabas, dolphins, turtles and sea lions.

The environment ministry said 600 nets were seized in the past year, while 77 people were detained.

Officials say fishermen sell the totoaba’s swim bladders to smugglers who store them in border towns before sending them to the US or shipping them directly to Asia in suitcases or through parcel services.

Each bladder fetches about $1,500-$1,800 in Mexico, rising to $5,000 in the US and $10,000 to $20,000 apiece in Asia, according to US authorities.

Consumed in soup, maw is believed to cure a host of ailments, from arthritis to discomfort in pregnancy, and plump up skin due to its high collagen content.

WWF urged the governments of Mexico, the US and China to take urgent measures and coordinate to stop the smuggling to totoaba bladders.

“In the end, if the vaquita goes extinct, the three countries will share the responsibility,” the environmentalist group said.

The group said Mexico should ban all fishing in the vaquita habitat, compensate fishermen and deploy a newly created environmental police to the region.

“At WWF we are convinced that it is still possible to save the vaquita, but this is clearly its last chance,” said WWF’s Mexico director, Omar Vidal.

weebray - 5-14-2016 at 07:34 AM

It's a real shame------that the seda isn't for at least six months and the area much larger.

DaliDali - 5-14-2016 at 08:23 AM

If the turtle deaths are a result of nets.....just ban the use of nets.
Hook and line fishermen do not kill turtles unless long lines are considered hook and line.

Rod, reel, line and hooks.........DO NOT KILL TURTLES.

For the life of me, I cannot get a grip on how it's going to "save" the turtles by imposing an area wide NO KEEP zone for fin fish.

How is a turtle (we love them right?) going to suffer at the hands of a rod and reel fisherman?.....it's ok to catch a few corvina but you have to release them?...... that will sure save a few turtles yeah?

So now along comes a USA based E group(s) that forces the MX government to comply with their demands or they will do great economic damage to the Baja west coast fishery trade.

Does this stateside E group fund the compensation for the pangueros or the MX government just caved and ponied up the pesos?...

woody with a view - 5-14-2016 at 11:54 AM

my guess is no commercial fishermen will waste gas to be on the grounds. it'll make it all the easier if 1-2% of the normal number of boats are on the water to enforce this new measure.

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2016 at 12:25 PM

If the turtle deaths are a result of nets.....just ban the use of nets.
Hook and line fishermen do not kill turtles unless long lines are considered hook and line.

Rod, reel, line and hooks.........DO NOT KILL TURTLES.

For the life of me, I cannot get a grip on how it's going to "save" the turtles by imposing an area wide NO KEEP zone for fin fish.

How is a turtle (we love them right?) going to suffer at the hands of a rod and reel fisherman?.....it's ok to catch a few corvina but you have to release them?...... that will sure save a few turtles yeah?

So now along comes a USA based E group(s) that forces the MX government to comply with their demands or they will do great economic damage to the Baja west coast fishery trade.

Does this stateside E group fund the compensation for the pangueros or the MX government just caved and ponied up the pesos?...

What evidence do you have that the subject ban was due to USA env groups forcing the mex govt?

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2016 at 12:31 PM

...line and hooks.........DO NOT KILL TURTLES.

They do, and the the long liners do it large scale.

There are many poacher's out there killing turtles. Go kayak the coast and lagoon shores. There are lots of remote temp fish camps littered with turtle shells, bones.

weebray - 5-14-2016 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I guess it will take a ban on lettace and carrots to get goat upset about the loss of a major food supply for humans?

Not sure what planet you've been sleeping on but you may want to wake up and smell the roses.

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2016 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
I guess it will take a ban on lettace and carrots to get goat upset about the loss of a major food supply for humans?

Not sure what planet you've been sleeping on but you may want to wake up and smell the roses.

The prime eating fish are mostly gone. Been gone for many decades or more. Too late to be upset, dk.

Dk, Enjoy your tilapia baked in Cheetos crust, with a side dish of flavorless factory tomatoes.

[Edited on 5-14-2016 by mtgoat666]

David K - 5-14-2016 at 02:47 PM

That sounds gross. I think I will have a papaya salad instead!

redhilltown - 5-14-2016 at 05:25 PM

I find it hard to believe that Nomads let DK get away with a spelling mistake!!!!

David K - 5-14-2016 at 06:22 PM

LOL... If it was a Baja place name, they shouldn't! English words I give no guarantee about. We are on the road and my phone hasn't the spell check that my pc has to cover my typos.

Now, if I misspelled Puertecitos or Guerrero Negro or Los Barriles, go for it!

rts551 - 5-14-2016 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  

Catch and Release only for sport fishing inside and outside - 70 miles out. And no mining out there, either.

That's what 4 guys have told me - from the Junta Officials. Not the newspaper article.

Punta Abreojos....they are expecting people may be coming into their fishing area.

Howard - 5-14-2016 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  

I find it hard to believe that Nomads let DK get away with a spelling mistake!!!!

Now that's really funny!

[Edited on 5-15-2016 by Howard]

rts551 - 5-14-2016 at 06:30 PM

Another post gone in the direction Of DavidK.....

shari - 5-14-2016 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by Mula  

Punta Abreojos....they are expecting people may be coming into their fishing area.

and I was reading today that the government is decriminalizing poaching too...which coupled with this fishing ban will really increase poaching in our area. Juan was telling me about when the fishermen from Tortugas to Abreojos blocked the highway in order to GET poaching to be a criminal offense....soooo...expect more trouble on this front.
http://elinformantebcs.mx/condena-fedecoop-senadores-pretend...

[Edited on 5-15-2016 by shari]

bezzell - 5-15-2016 at 11:16 AM

ALL fishing is poaching.
period

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2016 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
ALL fishing is poaching.
period

Poached? Nyet.
I prefer my legally-caught fish grilled, sautéed or fried. Not too crazy about smoked or salt cured, but I suppose that beats poached.

bezzell - 5-15-2016 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I prefer my legally-caught fish

as decreed by humans

stay tuned

weebray - 5-15-2016 at 06:35 PM

as decreed by humans

stay tuned[/rquote]

Hmmm, Are you suggesting that god should control our fishing regulations?

Hook - 5-16-2016 at 03:10 PM

Right! Just look at the disaster in Cabo Pulmo....

It is true that you can no longer legally dive, snorkel or kayak in the Cabo Pulmo reserve? I assume fishing is completely out.

Hook - 5-16-2016 at 03:39 PM

The Mexican government is notorious for passing regulations that don't have the means to enforce, especially when it comes to the marine environment. The ban on commercial dorado fishing is probably the most famous.

Is this just another one? Have they announced how many boats they will use to enforce this and who is paying for it?

I have not translated the original text in Mula's post.

bezzell - 5-17-2016 at 02:55 PM

Hmmm, Are you suggesting that god should control our fishing regulations?

talk of gods is just silliness, so that would be negative Batman.
having said that ... we will ' reap what we sow '.
(see, amongst all the ridiculous mumbo jumbo that the bible spews forth ... there are some gems) :lol: