BajaNomad

Need some suggestions for Valle Guadalupe

Santiago - 5-14-2016 at 08:15 AM

SWMBO and I are spending the Saturday of Memorial day weekend in the valley, staying that night at Quinta Estrella. All the 'major-$200+/night' places were booked; even Posada Inn was fully booked. We have never stayed at Quinta Estrella, anyone else stay there?

Booked thru Booking.com which I was suspect of but immediately was contacted by the owners and asked to deposit $40dlls into an account at BofA/WellsFargo which I did and then got another email from the owners thanking us and welcoming us to their B&B. A little odd way of paying the deposit but I was OK with it.

We want to go to 4 or 5 wineries that we have not been to before so we need your help, here is the list of the ones we have been to so far that we can remember:
Emeve, LA Cetto, Dona Lupe, Tres Valles, Tres Mueres, Sol y Barro, Nubles, Lechuza, El Cielo, Alixima, La Lomita, Monte Xanic, Liceaga, El Mogor, Baron Balch'e, de Garza, JC Bravo, Bibayoff, Domecq, and maybe a few others I haven't put on our list yet.
Any suggestions?

gsbotanico - 5-14-2016 at 10:19 AM

The method of paying by making a deposit in a US bank account is not that unusual. I did it to pay for the Concurso de Paella during the Festival de la Vendimia. It avoids all the bank charges fior the payer and payee.

Wow! It looks like you have visited many of the wineries. The only one I've visited not on your list is Kastamay. It's off of Highway 3 around KM 84 on the same dirt road of Laja restaurant not too far north on the west side. It's very small and run by two women out of their home. We had a very pleasant late afternoon there with great hospitality. They have a small selection of wines for tasting, and jams too that are very tasty, and are just beginning to produce their own grapes. They have bought grapes from other growers. One of the ladies speaks English, but if you know Spanish, it makes it a much better experience. Our visit was unique in my experience.

Looking at a list of wineries in the valley, I see Quinta Monasterio, Retorno, El Laurel, Rondo del Valle, Finca de Carrodilla, and Villa Montefiori. I haven't been to any of these. Pick up one of the "La Ruta" maps. There's also an app "La Ruta vcc" for free download.