BajaNomad

Auto Club Baja Maps

bajaguy - 5-14-2016 at 03:47 PM

It's a fact. The Automobile Club (AAA) has ceased printing the Baja California maps. However....check the smaller AAA offices.

I scored two 2004 editions (which they were going to throw away), and two 2007 editions.

If you are passing through Susanville (Lassen County), California....they have about 20 0f the 2007 edition left in stock

BajaMama - 5-14-2016 at 03:57 PM

I found that out last week! Went into local office and they didn't have any. Even the San Diego maps don't include TJ anymore. I do have an older Baja map. Good thing I can update my Garmin Mexico maps...

David K - 5-14-2016 at 04:21 PM

2003, 2004, 2007, & 2010 are pretty much the same. Just reprints. Maybe a few updates. I am out if town today but can give the differences when I am back home.

AKgringo - 5-14-2016 at 04:32 PM

I got two of them recently in Grass Valley CA. One of them is already starting to show a lot of wear, and it was just sitting next to the computer.

Too many 'where the hell is that' moments involved with tracking posts on this board!

Barry A. - 5-14-2016 at 05:03 PM

I had heard in the past that the AAA was contracting out their Map services, but that Maps would still be available--------maybe just Mexico Maps are no longer being made???

bajaguy - 5-14-2016 at 05:20 PM

Several AAA offices have told me the club discontinued printing the Baja Map and it is no longer available and will not be printed in the foreseeable future. The Mexico (mainland) map is still available

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
I had heard in the past that the AAA was contracting out their Map services, but that Maps would still be available--------maybe just Mexico Maps are no longer being made???

Jozee - 5-14-2016 at 06:24 PM

I find this news very disheartening. I have been in search of a fold out paper map of the Baja Peninsula to replace the one that I have misplaced. Perhaps I should start calling AAA offices directly?

David K - 5-14-2016 at 06:28 PM

The 2010 AAA map was the last edition. The 2009 Baja Almanac folding map is also very good.
The 2008 National Geographic folding maps are too big and don't have road mileages. They are cool, however.

bajaguy - 5-14-2016 at 06:34 PM

My suggestion is that you try AAA offices in smaller cities/towns and in rural areas. Also reach out to friends and relatives and have them check their local offices.

The maps are out there, you just have to find the offices that have them

Quote: Originally posted by Jozee  
I find this news very disheartening. I have been in search of a fold out paper map of the Baja Peninsula to replace the one that I have misplaced. Perhaps I should start calling AAA offices directly?

Slight hijack about maps

Howard - 5-14-2016 at 08:28 PM

Who remembers the Thomas Brothers maps?

Here is the question.

How could Thomas Brothers prove in court if someone used their maps for reproduction purposes and did not use their own research to make their own maps?

AKgringo - 5-14-2016 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

How could Thomas Brothers prove in court if someone used their maps for reproduction purposes and did not use their own research to make their own maps?

Map makers have been know to publish maps with intentional errors. If the same error shows up on a competitors map, a case for plagiarism can be made.

Barry A. - 5-14-2016 at 10:06 PM

As a paper-map nut, that is highly discouraging. I want my maps as accurate as people can make them. Intentional errors is sick, IMO, no matter the legal reasons for doing so.

Just my thoughts, but i am sure it happens.

Bob and Susan - 5-15-2016 at 06:18 AM

I too love paper maps but I'm old ...

I have 2 in the car that are brand new...I have never needed them yet

everyone has a smart phone these days...they all have gps that shows maps...
you don't even need the cell service to see the map...amazing technology

not to leave out gps in the car on the dash that takes you "right there"

some day we wont even need that bulky "smart-phone"...I figure "implants" but I could be wrong : )

as for getting lost in the wilderness...the spot device is really amazing

spot.jpg - 142kB

David K - 5-15-2016 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
As a paper-map nut, that is highly discouraging. I want my maps as accurate as people can make them. Intentional errors is sick, IMO, no matter the legal reasons for doing so.

Just my thoughts, but i am sure it happens.

Sad but true... and I am like you, no errors, please.

The Mike McMahan wall map and even the Howard Gulick Lower California Guidebook maps contain errors, both intentional and accidental. The Baja Almanac (which is mostly Mexican government topo maps) has MANY errors in names of arroyos, bays, etc. Too bad, because we just want to look at a map and have it takes us to those places mentally if not physically.

Here is a look at the area near L.A. Bay Jcn. to Guerrero Negro over the years on the Auto Club map:

1962:

1965:

1974:

1975:

1978:

1980:

1987:

1989:

1990:

1996:

2010:

Jozee - 5-15-2016 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
My suggestion is that you try AAA offices in smaller cities/towns and in rural areas. Also reach out to friends and relatives and have them check their local offices.

The maps are out there, you just have to find the offices that have them

Quote: Originally posted by Jozee  

Thanks for the response. I will give it a try.

[Edited on 5-15-2016 by Jozee]

San Felipe South on AAA Maps

David K - 5-15-2016 at 08:24 AM

The first two are of a larger area...

1955:

1962:

1974:

1975:

1978:

1980:

Baja 1000 notes

1987:

New road construction advances south of Puertecitos notes

1989:

New paved road south from San Felipe beginning (incorrectly shown near Percebu).

1990:

New highway roadbed reaches Puertecitos, not all paved, yet.

1996:

1997:

2000:

New pavement to Puertecitos so thin, the southern section already gone (on the map)... more disappears the next few years.

2001:

2003:

2004:

2007:

New pavement applied to Puertecitos.

2010:

Howard - 5-15-2016 at 09:07 AM

You people are smarter than your average Pelican. Yes, streets that didn't exist as well as other errors were in some of their maps.

PaulW - 5-15-2016 at 09:55 AM

Yes Davids maps.
Observations
Regarding the SF images I notice in 1987 a road appears for the arroyo we now call Azufre (INEGI=Parral). (and a bunch of other local used names).
Then gone in 1989.
Back in 1997
2000 and later.
Shows as a partial road 11.6
Meanwhile the blue arroyo lines drift around, but are nearly correct.
Shucks I wish I had all those maps

David K - 5-15-2016 at 11:58 AM

On the 1987 map, that is my drawing in of the Parral/ Azufre road... I found it in 1978 after a couple of trips searching. It was abandoned and mostly forgotten by then. The only map that showed it I had seen was the 1974 (?) Geology map of Baja Norte. It was also mentioned in the first editions of Camping and Climbing in Baja (1967) but that was removed in newer editions.