BajaNomad

road conditions

winnebago 2 - 5-14-2016 at 05:33 PM

Any updates on the Hwy 1 pot hole repairs south of Catavina.
Heading to Bay of La and just wondering.

AKgringo - 5-14-2016 at 05:49 PM

Do they ever actually get repaired, or just re-located%

woody with a view - 5-14-2016 at 05:54 PM

HA! Expect misery....

winnebago 2 - 5-14-2016 at 06:33 PM

You are right. Anything above misery will be a pleasant suprise.

woody with a view - 5-14-2016 at 07:57 PM

That is the best attitude! That stretch sucks as you know.....

David K - 5-14-2016 at 08:07 PM

"Bad roads bring good people"
[Anita Espinoza, 1973]

BigBearRider - 5-14-2016 at 08:10 PM

I'm sure someone has more recent info, but as of three weekends ago it was about the same as it's been for the last few years. Between Catavina and Laguna Chapala it's a bit pockmarked.

woody with a view - 5-15-2016 at 04:21 PM

i saw on another site the 20 miles or so north of the turnoff was miserable, with unavoidable craters. we'll be dragging a boat so that's gonna suck!

winnebago 2 - 5-15-2016 at 04:24 PM

Ditto that Woody. Ill be taking a boat around June 10. There should be a reward at the end of the rainbow. Thanks for the updates.

bajabuddha - 5-15-2016 at 04:44 PM

Geez, sounds like the road back in the '90's. Almost ALL of it. Guess we'll all have to finally slow down a little....... used'ta-be, when the road "changed color", hit the brakes. That's Cataviņa, then and now. Makes it harder to rubberneck at all the gorgeous granitic boulders, and the not-so-gorgeous ones too.... still, that and the Gigantes, and Bahia Concepcion are my 3 faves of the peninsula. I truly hope the new stretch brings a few campgrounds to the BOLA Jct. area; another spectacular Sonoran forest.

SFandH - 5-15-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Between Catavina and Laguna Chapala it's a bit pockmarked.

A master of understatement, unless you have a real gnarly face! ;)

I drove that stretch a few months ago and there were some DEEP holes with diameters bigger than the tires on my F-250. Dangerous "pockmarks".

As always, check your spare tire before you go and be prepared to change a flat.

AKgringo - 5-15-2016 at 05:21 PM

I had a discussion with my neighbor where I spent the winter (Grass Valley CA) about the Catavina minefield, vs the 23 mile highway five construction zone.

My small SUV pulling a small utility trailer is more nimble than his camper pulling a Hobie Cat on a trailer, so I would rather drive slowly through a known rough road, than hit a Catavina tank trap at highway speed.

Driving slowly through the highway one hazards, will almost certainly get you passed by an impatient truck or bus in a dangerous spot!

He chose Catavina....and had to repair his trailer!

SFandH - 5-15-2016 at 06:10 PM

Hobie Cat trailers have tiny wheels..........8 inch??

TedZark - 5-17-2016 at 04:37 PM

I did that stretch of road in March, 2016. Much better than 2015 about the same time and there was a crew out in the middle of nowhere working on potholes.

Much better, but still some bad spots.

Quote: Originally posted by winnebago 2  
Any updates on the Hwy 1 pot hole repairs south of Catavina.
Heading to Bay of La and just wondering.

Howard - 5-17-2016 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by winnebago 2  
Ditto that Woody. Ill be taking a boat around June 10. There should be a reward at the end of the rainbow. Thanks for the updates.

The reward is called Baja and Pacifico's. Sounds like a good enough reward to me.

BajaMama - 5-18-2016 at 05:59 AM

I will be on that road Sunday. Can't wait!

Fatboy - 5-19-2016 at 04:37 PM

Drove it about 2 weeks ago.... pretty bad as reported here...

caution on the BOLA road....they are redoing several bridges and there are a couple of sections with no pavement...

not potholes just lack of pavement....most of them are during the last twenty miles or so....this was as of yesterday

shari - 5-19-2016 at 06:06 PM

Aha....so that's where you are Fatboy...we were wondering where you were exploring! Sam will be bilingual before you know it...going great here!

Fatboy - 5-19-2016 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Aha....so that's where you are Fatboy...we were wondering where you were exploring! Sam will be bilingual before you know it...going great here!

Not to hijack this thread just made it to my sisters about 4pm today... what an adventure and I am afraid YOU started something!!!!

Bajahowodd - 5-21-2016 at 05:00 PM

So, there are many different jurisdictions responsible for Highway One. Overall, the road is much better in BCS. But there have also been many improvements made in BC. But the highway near Catavina has been really crappy for many years. Just wondering if the Los Pinos guys, who own the hotel in Catvina ought to lobby whoever it is that is responsible for that stretch of highway to get off the sofa and do something about it.

SFandH - 5-21-2016 at 05:07 PM

The fact that the stretch in question is really in the middle of nowhere is probably the reason for its continual disrepair. Difficult logistics.

There's not even any cold beer around there!!!

[Edited on 5-22-2016 by SFandH]

willardguy - 5-21-2016 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The fact that the stretch in question is really in the middle of nowhere is probably the reason for its continual disrepair. Difficult logistics.

There's not even any cold beer around there!!!

[Edited on 5-22-2016 by SFandH]

well there is the store! :smug:

SFandH - 5-21-2016 at 05:18 PM

Oh yeah, and the hotel too. But you know what I mean. It's pretty far from any population center of any kind. At least that's my theory as to why it's the last stretch of road to be upgraded.

Bajahowodd - 5-25-2016 at 04:23 PM

The Los Pinos fellows have done much to upgrade this property that is off the grid, including keeping the power on all day.

It may be in the middle of nowhere, but I still believe that they ought to lobby whoever is responsible for that stretch of highway to be upgraded.

After all, there is probably way over a hundred miles South of this pavement mess that is in much better condition, while still in territory that is off the grid.