BajaNomad

Another really good story!

BajaBlanca - 5-15-2016 at 11:29 AM

So, two years I had a student in our middle school who was just biding his time there and restless in the classroom. He was from a single mom family and I did not know the family personally but was concerned that Salvador was just letting life slip by. Worse than that, he was being disruptive .....

One day he and I started talking and I asked him what he wanted to do with his life. Dance, he answered. I love to dance.

and I recalled that in fact he had choreographed middle school talent show dances with some of the other kids. I asked whether he had family in La Paz, to which he said he had a brother.

OK, I said. Look into dance academies in La Paz and this summer I will sponsor you to go to any dance class you choose. In exchange, please concentrate on your classes here and now.

Salvador found a school and the prices were quite reasonable. I asked him to have his mom meet me at school, which she did. She agreed that he could go La Paz for the summer classes.

Well, Salvador changed overnight. He began to smile, he began to do try at school. I always cover haircuts for kids who are underprivileged since they get detention if their hair is not the proper length and one day when I went in to the hair salon, I asked if Salvador had come in that afternoon.

Oh yes, said Julio, he told me all about the summer dance classes. His mom was here with him and she said he changed his attitude at home too. She is not having any trouble dealing with him now.

When Salvador was ready to leave, he told me that his brother wanted him to stay in La Paz. Try it out, I told him, you might like it! and remember that your mother adores you (she really does adore him) and you can always come back and we will be ready for you with open arms.

I gave him clothes and shoes and notebooks, pens, pencils and a beautiful backpack to put everything in (thanks msteve for that spectacular donation last year) and off he went.

So, a year has gone by and Salvador seemed to waver a bit at first but soon made friends, soon began to dance at school and when he heard that there was going to be a dance scout at the Carnaval parade, he carefully prepared a super dance that he choreographed himself and guess what?

He was chosen to participate in a dance group! Today (teacher's day here in Mexico), after mass, his mom told me he is dancing 6 hours a day at a special academy! He is studying French and English and dance. A M A Z I N G, eh?

Moral of the story is: not every kid will fit into a regular school curriculum. Talk to your young grandkids -nieces - nephews - neighbors. Help them to see what direction their life can take especially if it isn't the traditional path.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

confession: I have asked the middle school kids to consider becoming English teachers and two say they will do it! I have told them that Mexico needs to speak English to compete in the world. I also envision a day when I can really retire and know that the kids here are being taught English!

BajaBlanca - 5-15-2016 at 11:52 AM

mom on left
brother in the middle
Salvador on the right
I believe this was taken around Christmastime, when his mom went to visit.

rhintransit - 5-15-2016 at 12:00 PM

what a great story!

4x4abc - 5-15-2016 at 12:31 PM

inspiring!

BigBearRider - 5-15-2016 at 12:41 PM

ˇFantástico!

shari - 5-15-2016 at 02:15 PM

I love that story! I am so proud of you Blanca for teaching these kids to follow their dreams and dare to dream! not to mention all the help you and those donating items offer.

Elona - 5-16-2016 at 02:05 AM

Blanca!

I wish there were more people like you.

woody with a view - 5-16-2016 at 06:18 AM

That's cool.

desertcpl - 5-16-2016 at 12:14 PM

Blanca,, you do an exceptional job,,, wish I had a teacher like you

Mexitron - 5-16-2016 at 12:24 PM

Nice work Blanca! My wife is a teacher, will pass this on to her.

BajaBlanca - 5-16-2016 at 03:03 PM

:biggrin:

I thought you guys would like it as much as I did.

CaboMagic - 5-16-2016 at 10:23 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: