BajaNomad

Telcell hotspot

JZ - 5-16-2016 at 01:47 AM

I've always used AT&T for data in MX, but after they bought the MX carriers last year and aren't roaming on Telcel, internet speeds have been terrible, on the mainland anyway.

Thinking about going with a hotspot on Telcel's network. Then connect multiple phones/laptops to it via wifi.

The question is, does Telcel sell the hotspots, and if so about how much. Or is it just better to get an unlocked one and put a Telcel sim in it? I guess the added benefit of that would you be able to take it to any country and put a sim in it.

What are Telcel's costs per Gig?

ncampion - 5-16-2016 at 07:21 AM

Maybe just get a Telcell"Banda Ancha" 3G USB dongle. Plug in to a laptop or you can get a 3G router for local WiFi. You can buy 3 gig for$350 pesos. You can buy more data also.

mojo_norte - 5-16-2016 at 08:28 AM

some good info here ...

http://withbrio.com/demystifying-telcels-banda-ancha-or-how-...

interesting blog as well

bajabuddha - 5-16-2016 at 09:19 AM

I used Telcel for the last couple of years I was in in Baja. Cheap, semi-effective, but not without problems. Telcel was known for over-selling its' productivity, so especially certain times of day high usage put it at a crawl at best; the 'gig' numbers were overblown. It worked for what little I needed it for, but there were many other better and more expensive options available, and new ones just showing up....... that was 2 years ago. I highly doubt it's any better; just a guess though. I think the competition has out-classed it now, as far as internet is concerned. I never did do phone; never needed it.

ncampion - 5-16-2016 at 10:09 AM

I guess I assumed that you didn't have access to a TelMex DSL line and needed an "off-grid" internet solution. We used Banda Ancha for a while at our off-grid home and it worked for what it was, slow and limited. We tried Exede sat. and it was worse. We now have a 5ghz WAN link to a friend in town (Loreto) and it is great. No caps, good up and down speed. Now I just have to hope my friend never moves.

[Edited on 5-16-2016 by ncampion]

JZ - 5-16-2016 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I guess I assumed that you didn't have access to a TelMex DSL line and needed an "off-grid" internet solution. We used Banda Ancha for a while at our off-grid home and it worked for what it was, slow and limited. We tried Exede sat. and it was worse. We now have a 5ghz WAN link to a friend in town (Loreto) and it is great. No caps, good up and down speed. Now I just have to hope my friend never moves.

[Edited on 5-16-2016 by ncampion]

No house anymore, use to have DSL a few years back. Just want it use when on the boat or driving around.

JZ - 5-16-2016 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Maybe just get a Telcell"Banda Ancha" 3G USB dongle. Plug in to a laptop or you can get a 3G router for local WiFi. You can buy 3 gig for$350 pesos. You can buy more data also.

A hotspot is much better than a dongle. All the kids can connect their stuff to it, up to 5 users at a time. We just spent 10 days in Australia and picked up one at the airport. Like 30G of data for $100.

I sent my captain over to Telcel to check out what they have.