BajaNomad

beach access in camalu

bajasusana - 5-16-2016 at 11:43 AM

hi people -- is there a hotel or rv park actually on the beach in camalu? if not, how far north or south would i have to go?

woody with a view - 5-16-2016 at 12:27 PM

Turn at the Pemex at the north end of town. There is a nice place called Pirates Cave right at the point. Search google for more info.

Howard - 5-16-2016 at 03:19 PM

Hey Woody

How long is the road and what type of shape is it in for a RV?

woody with a view - 5-16-2016 at 05:19 PM

oh about 5-6 miles. pretty good shape. basically, all of the roads go to the coast, then turn north to the point.

DavidT - 5-16-2016 at 09:02 PM

La Cueva del Pirata

There is even an Airbnb listing for the hotel.

I wonder if Lee Moreno is still around that area.
He had a most interesting way of loading his panga on the trailer after a fishing trip.

bajasusana - 5-17-2016 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Turn at the Pemex at the north end of town. There is a nice place called Pirates Cave right at the point. Search google for more info.

mil gracias, amigo

surfhat - 5-17-2016 at 01:42 PM

Forty years ago when camping at Cuatro Casas, I drove south along the coast and came to a lookout over the bay at Camalu looking south.

There was a large swell running and way out in the middle of the bay, I watched waves breaking left and right on a submerged reef. The wind was blowing onshore with gusto but in spite of the breeze, these large waves were a sight to be seen. I never made it back there and have always wondered if others paddled out there to surf it when it went off.

That would take some cajones. It was probably a quarter of a mile out and lots of deep dark water between you and beach. I sure wish I had some photos of that day but I blew it. Cuatro Casa's was reeling for a few days during this time and a ton of fun. I do have some pics of that somewhere. One of these days...........

bajasusana - 5-18-2016 at 09:57 AM

love all these responses, and thanks especially to whoever asked how far, because i am passing thru on the bus at the end of may and thought i would stay in a hotel (i dont care about clean as much as i care about wifi in a hotel) for the night and walk on over to Pirates Cave. guess i will take mexico's version of uber and just ask someone with a car hanging out the the pemex to take me there

tiotomasbcs - 5-18-2016 at 03:02 PM

Just a question? You do know Camalu is a major agricultural area with a major wind effect from all the fog. Not really safe for surf camping anymore. I would recommend The Old Mill in San Quintin for a quick overnite; sits on the inside bay and reachable by Taxi. Out of town. Have fun, be safe. Tio

mojo_norte - 5-18-2016 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusana  
love all these responses, and thanks especially to whoever asked how far, because i am passing thru on the bus at the end of may and thought i would stay in a hotel (i dont care about clean as much as i care about wifi in a hotel) for the night and walk on over to Pirates Cave. guess i will take mexico's version of uber and just ask someone with a car hanging out the the pemex to take me there

Be real careful who you catch a ride with there .

woody with a view - 5-18-2016 at 05:23 PM

and how would you get back to town?

S.Q. and area

captkw - 5-18-2016 at 07:50 PM

when the ag got going, guys from the mainland came over to work and the safety of the area is gone...Do Not Beach camp around there..well known killings have happened..pelegrosso !!also besides the "Old Mill" is calita linda that was famous for the crab craw plate....mmmm !! Safe travels..............:cool:

David K - 5-19-2016 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
when the ag got going, guys from the mainland came over to work and the safety of the area is gone...Do Not Beach camp around there..well known killings have happened..pelegrosso !!also besides the "Old Mill" is calita linda that was famous for the crab craw plate....mmmm !! Safe travels..............:cool:

CIELITO LINDO

bajasusana - 5-19-2016 at 09:19 AM

WOW! this time i am extra grateful for more responses, because i have no need to waste time looking in a place i might not feel safe. sounds like my best bet in the area might be to go back to Don Eddie's near San Quintin, where I lived happily for a couple of months a couple of years ago. I know management has changed since then--might be interesting to check out the new vibe there.

honda tom - 5-20-2016 at 10:14 AM

I heard don eddies burned down. Havent been there in several years but always enjoyed staying there also.

willardguy - 5-20-2016 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
I heard don eddies burned down. Havent been there in several years but always enjoyed staying there also.

big new palapa restaurant replaced the upstairs one that burned, rooms are the same....

BajaGringo - 5-20-2016 at 06:23 PM

If you want to stay near the highway, I would suggest a place we send family and friends to when Jardines is full. It's called 3 Reyes and it is located one block east off the highway in San Quintin. Very secure, clean, good wifi and is owned by one of the oldest families in the San Quintin Valley.

https://www.facebook.com/Motel-3-Reyes-158847904311729/

3ReyesSign.jpg - 54kB 3ReyesHotel.jpg - 74kB

bajasusana - 5-21-2016 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
If you want to stay near the highway, I would suggest a place we send family and friends to when Jardines is full. It's called 3 Reyes and it is located one block east off the highway in San Quintin. Very secure, clean, good wifi and is owned by one of the oldest families in the San Quintin Valley.

actually, i am looking for a place to plug in my 18-foot rv on the beach, so i am gonna start a new thread. THANKS, ALL!