BajaNomad

Good, cheap hotel near marina in Santa Rosalia?

Hook - 5-19-2016 at 04:58 PM

Any recommendations? I am aware of Las Casitas on the bluff.

David K - 5-19-2016 at 05:28 PM

Isn't El Morro the other?

weebray - 5-19-2016 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Isn't El Morro the other?

Cheap? That would not describe El Morro. You have to go up in to town to find a cheap bed.

David K - 5-19-2016 at 05:57 PM

Is Las Casitas "cheap"? I was just trying to recall the other hotel near the port, that's all.

shari - 5-19-2016 at 05:59 PM

there is a Hotel very close to the Marina but I wouldnt call it good...the room we got which was their last room was awful but maybe the other newer rooms are OK...wasnt cheap for that super crappy room but go look at one of the newer ones...good thing is it's real close. I had to go buy some incense it smelled so bad of mildew.

4x4abc - 5-19-2016 at 06:27 PM

how much are they asking at El Morro right now?

carlosg - 5-19-2016 at 06:38 PM

Go to El Pollito Restaurant across the street from the seafood stand at the locomotive park, right on the town entrance, they have rooms but no parking or go to the one on the way out north on the west side of the street the building looks like part of the old mine mill, they have inside parking.... we like El Morro, continental breakfast included, secured parking, bar, room service.... what more can you ask for...

AKgringo - 5-19-2016 at 06:50 PM

I am pretty sure that the author (Hook) will be arriving by sea, so near the marina is kind of important!

bajabuddha - 5-19-2016 at 07:32 PM

Been a couple of years, but when the mine was in full swing, there was no such animal in the entire area. Now things have calmed down, check in with Las Casitas just north of El Morro. Remember, you get what you pay for. There are also 'hostel' rooms available in town and on the Malecon. I have heard El Morro has improved, including the owner's attitude towards 'Norte-Americanos'. Great place, great view, and hopefully better attitude.

Hook - 5-19-2016 at 08:40 PM

El Morro is certainly not walkable, which is what we would prefer. But I would call it reasonable. A room with two queen beds, ocean view, free internet, continental breakfast works out to 42.00US @ 17/1 (730 pesos). Or, with no ocean view it works out to about 34.00US (580 pesos).

Cant find rates on Las Casitas. It used to be rather expensive, but maybe that's changed. Anyone been there, recently?

Bajaboy - 5-19-2016 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Any recommendations? I am aware of Las Casitas on the bluff.

Define cheap? Cheap in one town definitely is not cheap in another:?:

Hook - 5-20-2016 at 05:40 AM

As I recall, Casitas was about 70US for two, several years ago. But their old website domain has not be supported and the booking brokers that I have found cant book it or quote it.

You're right, cheap was not a good word to use. Just dont want an "expensive" room (another subjective term, I know!) if we are fishing all day.

I would pay the El Morro rate. That's reasonable. Maybe we just cab it there and back. But a cab at o-dark-thirty? Can be problematic in some towns.

The "El Pollito" suggestion (I assume that's TERCO'S POLLITO?) isnt a bad one, but it doesnt give us much certainty when arriving by boat.

One peculiarity about SR that comes to me.........I cant ever recall a Nomad that lived there. You know, someone who has acted as our Minister of Information, on-site, like Shari from Asuncion. Most of us are just passin' thru.

[Edited on 5-20-2016 by Hook]

shari - 5-20-2016 at 07:18 AM

I forgot about Pollito and that would be your best bet....but do check out that hotel I mentioned...it may be called Industrial? It might have a decent room and is super close...Pollitos is just a couple blocks up and the restaurant is good too...Casitas & El Morro way too far and too fancy for what you need probably...ocean views arent critical to sailors...jejeje.

Will you be there for awhile? be cool to meet you although our Sta.Rosalia trips are few and far between as the hot season gets here but we go sometimes to shop at the new fantastic Super Leyes!!!!

Hook - 5-20-2016 at 07:29 AM

We would be there for only two nights. Very up in the air.

Now, there is some big ATV/UTV rally in San Carlos on the 27-28 May that may lure us away. Supposedly a major tour on private, unspoiled Sonoran desert, bands and BBQ on the beach. Sounds like fun.

I could sleep on my boat with some comfort but that harbor can get hot. Very cutoff from breezes, as I recall, in "summer".

tripledigitken - 5-20-2016 at 08:27 AM

Check out Hotel Francis. It's an Historic hotel on street above and behind Tercos. Reasonable rates last time I checked. Climbing the hill might be a deal killer if your hauling gear with you.

[Edited on 5-20-2016 by tripledigitken]

I think this guy parks right aat the marina

durrelllrobert - 5-20-2016 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am pretty sure that the author (Hook) will be arriving by sea, so near the marina is kind of important!

Bob and Susan - 5-20-2016 at 12:22 PM

actually right across the street in front of Coppell and near super ley is a new motel...not much parking but an easy walk to the marina

sorry hook I didn't get the name

it's very new...probably what you need too

Hook - 5-20-2016 at 12:44 PM

Well, let's hope someone is going by that new hotel, B and S, and can get me that name. I like the sound of new, if it's "reasonable".

Another subjective term. :rolleyes:

I am going to say that anything below 1000 pesos/night for double occupancy is reasonable, unless it is a complete dive.

I dont want to drink enough to ignore the dive factor of a place..........and then start fishing early. Too old, now.

Bob and Susan - 5-20-2016 at 06:21 PM

I think this is the place I was thinking about...a longer walk than I remembered but I drive...

maybe someone will pass by

motrl.jpg - 124kB

Pescador - 5-21-2016 at 08:16 AM

OK, the Industrial Motel is across from the old marina dock and is OK. Right on the main street and right next to the CFE office. At the other end of the Malecon is the two story motel which is what Shari is probably referring to. Again, not bad and they have the economy cafe where the bus stops at the bottom. Terce's has about 4 rooms, or maybe 6 and they are nice, basic, and usually kept up. Brenda is good at the Casitas and very clean and beautiful rooms. She has the numbers and contacts for a taxi.

BigBearRider - 5-21-2016 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I think this is the place I was thinking about...a longer walk than I remembered but I drive...

maybe someone will pass by

I thought you were talking about the tan (?) building that is immediately to the right of the Coppel when facing west (the hill). For some reason, in my mind's eye, I thought that was new construction and maybe a hotel.

Bob and Susan - 5-21-2016 at 11:37 AM

motrl.jpg - 138kB

BigBearRider - 5-21-2016 at 03:46 PM

Thanks. I know where the stores are. I guess I was confused about the next door building.