BajaNomad

Mike O'Dell has passed away

Bill Collector - 5-25-2016 at 07:55 AM

Tristemente comunicó que Mike O'Dell fallecio la noche del 24 de mayo a las 10:30 . Se le quiere mucho y extrañará mucho mas . Lo estamos velando en el rancho la Trinidad en la Ribera a partir de las 10 am
La tienda permanecerá cerrada hasta nuevo aviso gracias por su comprensión
Am sad to anounce that Mike O' Dell passed away on the night of the 24 th of may. He is much loved and will be missed a lot more His wakeover will be at ranch la Trinidad in La Ribera at 10:00 am
For this reason the store will be closed until further notice, thank you for understanding

David K - 5-25-2016 at 08:18 AM

Many posts from "mike odell" here on Nomad since 2005.
Sad that another long time Baja Nomad has gone... RIP

BornFisher - 5-25-2016 at 08:21 AM

RIP Mike. :(

vandy - 5-25-2016 at 06:07 PM

Mike had a grand send-off with
lots of mourners and flowers.

An Irish wake will take place in the fall
when more of his friends are in Baja.

DEP

bajafreaks - 5-25-2016 at 07:56 PM

RIP Mike

dtbushpilot - 5-26-2016 at 08:16 AM

Mike was a good friend, I'll miss him. Godspeed my friend....

Osprey - 5-26-2016 at 09:03 AM

Mike did a lot of good things for this area of our local municipio. He threw several huge fiestas at his place, free to the whole community at a time when there was not a centavo to be found in the place.

He was hero to his workers and others for spending his own cash and ingenuity to get food to the hungry when it was almost impossible to move about just after major hurricanes.

Through his construction projects he put a new face on local high end beachside developments which brought much needed cash to local commerciantes and many others.

For many years he played Godfather to his truckload of local children as he drove them through the dusk to Trick or Treat safely.

Overall, no one more colorful and interesting around these parts than Mike and we will all miss him and his antics.

[Edited on 5-26-2016 by Osprey]

Don Jorge - 5-26-2016 at 06:49 PM

About 15 years ago our little 20 ft Potter Seacraft turtled while on the can moored off of Rancho Leonero. At the time Mike had his Cabo moored there too.

Our boat bobbed for a few hours keel up. Mike and many others helped in the recovery. The next day we sold the pickled Seacraft to the brother in law of a client of Mikes who now lived and owned one of those nearby homes Mike built on the bluff and breeze of the Cortez. We laughed about that one for long time.

Mike liked to build, fish, help and have fun. Glad we met.

RIP Mike

i actually cant believe that mike is dead....he was just so, i don't know....NOT dead....loved the guy and that's ok...some folks couldnt stand/understand him and that's ok too...he was a great guy..and i'm gonna miss him.

mulegemichael - 5-27-2016 at 07:02 PM

CaboMagic - 5-28-2016 at 01:58 PM

Echoing the sentiments expressed ...

From Tommy: I had the pleasure of fishing East Cape tournaments with Mike, he on his boat, me on mine. A real gentleman, a real nice man.

Our condolences to his family, and everyone who shares in this loss.

Tommy & Lori

Whale-ista - 12-19-2016 at 08:23 PM

Sad to read about Mike's death today (Dec. 19)- just saw the notice about the recent fire in the restaurant.

I met Mike when I stayed at Trinidad RV park in June of 2014. It was my first trip to La Ribera, en route to Cabo Pulmo.

It was already blazing hot, with chubascos, lighting at night, and high humidity. Everyone else had already left the park for the season.

I stopped by to deliver a pair of sunglasses I had won at a fishing seminar in San Diego- Mike offered me $100 and all the beer I wanted. Seemed like a fair deal to help pay for gas for the drive from San Diego.

He sat at his desk in the bar/restaurant, smoking and chatting with me about the history of the place. I enjoyed the birds (lots of quail, orioles and others- including a thirsty roadrunner drinking from the pool), and admired his wonderful art collection. He told me about places he liked to visit on the MX mainland to purchase more art.

He described how he had used his construction/contractor experience to build various places in town and in the park... he had quite a life. Lots of equipment, building materials etc. were scattered around the place.

I drove south after 2 evenings, hoping to return during a cooler time of year. Glad I took time to talk with Mike and get to know him that summer- even though it was hot as blazes.

DEP Mike- thanks for the hospitality and cervezas.