BajaNomad

Who are people using these days for on water boat insurance?

JZ - 5-26-2016 at 02:05 PM

For boats left in Mexico?

Jack Swords - 5-26-2016 at 02:44 PM

Vagabundos del Mar

Hook - 5-26-2016 at 03:38 PM

I have used the Vags for many years, off and on. But the liability-only insurance through Baja Bound was the same price AND I didnt have to pay for the Vag membership. Since I've moved to Mexico, I really cant take advantage of the other Vag services, especially the newsletter.

So, I am with Baja Bound. They do have annual liability-only policies, for boats left in Mexico. I dont know about full coverage policies.

Bob and Susan - 5-26-2016 at 03:47 PM

i'd call vessel assist/boats usa...

they saved my a$$ several times

JZ - 5-27-2016 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I have used the Vags for many years, off and on. But the liability-only insurance through Baja Bound was the same price AND I didnt have to pay for the Vag membership. Since I've moved to Mexico, I really cant take advantage of the other Vag services, especially the newsletter.

So, I am with Baja Bound. They do have annual liability-only policies, for boats left in Mexico. I dont know about full coverage policies.

I used Baja Bound for liability when I came down for shorter trips and my Progressive policy covered damage to the boat.

Need full coverage now from one company.

[Edited on 5-27-2016 by JZ]

SlyOnce - 5-27-2016 at 08:32 AM

My boat (30 foot sail) has full coverage with an agreed value policy from State Farm (my car, house carrier) down to Punta Banda with no limits.

What kind of boat? Where located? These are the key questions.

If you have a large cruising sail boat worth $100K in La Paz the answer is very different to having a trailered Baja bay runner 19 foot aluminum fishing boat in Ensenada.

If the former, I'd go on Seven Seas Cruising Association forum and ask the question, most blue water policies, full coverage, are going to have seasonal hurricane zone exclusions, and "named storm" exclusions, and coverage during hurricane season will be super expensive with high deductible.

Jack Swords - 5-27-2016 at 10:19 AM

This is somewhat dated information, but our sailboat in Marina de la Paz was damaged (along with others) by Hurricane Marty. We had full coverage at that time with Zurich and they flew an adjuster down and we were fully covered except for deductible. Many had insurance thru other so-called blue water insurers and were not covered for a variety of reasons. Like most insurance, the proof is when coverage is needed, not just promises. Don't know current Zurich pricing, but worth checking.

Pacifico - 5-27-2016 at 05:11 PM

This is who I use:

Douglas K. Smith Insurance Services
619-222-2560

They are on Scott Street in San Diego.
Haven't filed a claim with them, so can't help you in that regard.

Hook - 5-28-2016 at 05:36 AM

Whatever BROKER you use, find out who the coverage is through and research them.

Not sure if they do boat insurance in Mexico, but avoid Mapfre. Many instances of them refusing to pay for legit claims on cars and house contents.

Pescador - 5-28-2016 at 09:19 AM

OK, here is the problem. Several companies write a liability policy for a trailered boat, but it is only covered for liability (meaning that you cause some damage to someone else or their property) and this coverage is only good while attached to the tow vehicle. If you want comprehensive which means damage to your boat, you need to insure with a company that insures comprehensive and liability in Mexico. For awhile US Boat did that but I understand they are not doing it any more.

Brokers from the United States, for the most part, do not write insurance for Mexico except for surplus lines. You need to talk to a Mexican agent. Then you can look up in the blue book, their claims history.

JZ - 5-28-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
OK, here is the problem. Several companies write a liability policy for a trailered boat, but it is only covered for liability (meaning that you cause some damage to someone else or their property) and this coverage is only good while attached to the tow vehicle. If you want comprehensive which means damage to your boat, you need to insure with a company that insures comprehensive and liability in Mexico. For awhile US Boat did that but I understand they are not doing it any more.

Brokers from the United States, for the most part, do not write insurance for Mexico except for surplus lines. You need to talk to a Mexican agent. Then you can look up in the blue book, their claims history.

Part of what you said is incorrect. Baja Bound offers on the water liability only policies. Their auto policies offer an extension for trailing which are full coverage while being towed or on the trailer.

I do have a Mexican agent based in San Carlos. Just asking if there was one carrier that the board had found to be better than others for full coverage. Seems like the answer is no. I'll look into Zurich.

[Edited on 5-28-2016 by JZ]