BajaNomad

Complete newbie here. Driving by car from Phoenix to La Paz

Dariosantiago - 5-29-2016 at 07:56 PM

Hi! I am really ignorant when it comes to Baja, but as I was contemplating a summer vacation for the family, the thought occurred that I could take us to Baja for something a little different. I work in immigration law and I even litigate Mexican asylum claims, so I hear the horror stories all the time. I have never even seen or heard of a case from Baja though. I may have a skewed perspective of the dangers associated with travel in Mexico, so my question is simple. Is it safe to drive with the family all the way from Phoenix to La Paz? We don't have to go that far south if there are closer non touristy places you might recommend, but the beaches in La Paz look absolutely divine.

My wife is Mexican and the children and I all speak Spanish, so language is not a problem. I was just concerned about general violence and safety concerns. Any thoughts or suggestions as I contemplate a road trip of a week to ten days from Phoenix to Baja with a wife and four children ages 15, 12, 9, and 6? Am I crazy? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

willardguy - 5-29-2016 at 07:59 PM

here we go......

DK's lickin' his chops.....:lol:

[Edited on 5-30-2016 by willardguy]

Sandlefoot - 5-29-2016 at 08:08 PM

Been driving both ways, twice a year beginning in 1999. Never a problem for me, but i stay away from drugs and people that are involved in drugs. that eliminates 99% of the possibilities. There are many many threads that deal with this and if you do a simple search you will have enough reading to get you all the way to La Paz, if you start now!!!!:lol:

Come on down and enjoy this great place.

Mike

bajabuddha - 5-29-2016 at 08:18 PM

Safety?? Once you get outa Phoenix you'll be fine, other than the heat. If you think the Big P is hot in summer, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. I'd love to put Sherriff Joe in pink underwear and a tent in Mulege. Your 6 y.o. will be the most vulnerable to the heat/humidity, and believe me, there's no comparison. Oh, and keep your eye out for hurricanes... don't drive at night, or if it's raining REALLY HARD.

Suggestion? Fly to La Paz, and have an air conditioned room waiting for you; save a lot of grief.

4x4abc - 5-29-2016 at 09:17 PM

just come on down and enjoy the trip

hotels or camping or hotels&camping?

AKgringo - 5-29-2016 at 09:17 PM

I would go for it, with a little planning (but don't over think things).

My parents took our family to mainland Mexico when we were your children's age, and I took my own family to Baja and the mainland in the late 80's!

I intend to keep the tradition going forward by getting my grandchildren (with a parent or two) south of the border before much more time passes.

The memories will be forever!

If summer is the time you have, so be it, but I don't handle heat well. I pulled my kids out of school for the trips, and coordinated studies with their teachers. They didn't get behind, and gained some valuable life lessons.

wilderone - 5-30-2016 at 02:45 PM

Just be sensible - all the usual travel precautions. Don't look flashy - leave your valuables at home - don't bring a bunch of techno gadgets. Get a good map; you'll become acclimated to the traffic hazards soon enough. The first 200 miles you crawl through small towns, go over 100 topes, but finally the open road is before you. Take shade shelter of some kind. You can buy ice and water all over.

SFandH - 5-30-2016 at 02:56 PM

Are you camping along the way? If so that brings about some safety concerns so ask for advice about camping spots.

Where are you staying at night while on the road?

The biggest safety risk is the narrow, sometimes no shoulder, high speed, sometimes rough Highway 1. Heads up daytime only driving. Make sure your car is in good repair and be totally prepared to change a flat quickly. Check your spare tire and tire changing gear before you go. Take some jumper cables too. Gas up full at El Rosario or just before when heading south. Carry pesos in smallish denominations. Use ATMs to get pesos.

[Edited on 5-30-2016 by SFandH]

David K - 5-30-2016 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
here we go......

DK's lickin' his chops.....:lol:

[Edited on 5-30-2016 by willardguy]

I am? What would you like me to do willard? There is a link in my sig (below) to my 2012 trip and week in and around La Paz that may be of interest?

Best way to get to Tecate border

durrelllrobert - 5-31-2016 at 10:13 AM

I assume yu will be traveling on I-8 from Gila Bend and crosing into Baja at Tecate and here's a hint for the best way to do that;

When you reach the summit at a village called Bulevard DON"T take the exit that says SR 94. If you do you will be on a very windy narrow road where many accidents occur.
Instead continue west on I-8 about 18 miles more to Buckman Springs Rd. (there's a rest stop there) which is a wide road with very few curves. When you get to end you will hit SR94, turn right and follow that to Tecate Rd, (highway 188) turn left and follow it to brder crossing. Then take MX 2 through Valle Guadalupe to Ensenada.

WHAT ??

captkw - 5-31-2016 at 10:30 AM

Summer is for B.C., Yukon and Alaska.. You going the Wrong Way !! :biggrin:

rts551 - 5-31-2016 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
I assume yu will be traveling on I-8 from Gila Bend and crosing into Baja at Tecate and here's a hint for the best way to do that;

When you reach the summit at a village called Bulevard DON"T take the exit that says SR 94. If you do you will be on a very windy narrow road where many accidents occur.
Instead continue west on I-8 about 18 miles more to Buckman Springs Rd. (there's a rest stop there) which is a wide road with very few curves. When you get to end you will hit SR94, turn right and follow that to Tecate Rd, (highway 188) turn left and follow it to brder crossing. Then take MX 2 through Valle Guadalupe to Ensenada.

He can also cross at San Luis, Algadones, or Mexicali and take 5.

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2016 at 03:18 PM

the beaches in la paz are absolutely fabulous. clean waters. white sand. shallow with no waves.

go as soon as you can! very safe.

AKgringo - 5-31-2016 at 04:44 PM

I would agree with rts551 about coming down 5. Twenty three miles of road construction vs pot holes and the development along the north end of 1 is a good trade.

I wonder if the OP is following this thread, or is a one and done poster?

bajabuddha - 5-31-2016 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I would agree with rts551 about coming down 5. Twenty three miles of road construction vs pot holes and the development along the north end of 1 is a good trade.

Now THAT'S a good Q... is the OP here? Hey, Dario; let us know if you're reading any of this. You're driving, but are you camping or doing the motel gig? How many days? Baja's a big place (and a very small one too) with soooo many options.

Feedback, plz? :coolup:

Bajahowodd - 5-31-2016 at 04:55 PM

I go the other way. Cross at Tecate and take the road down to Ensenada. For me, there is just still to much crappy dirt road on 5 to make it your choice.

Besides, if you cross at Tecate and go through Ensenada, there are a number of very fine hotels and restaurants in that area.

willardguy - 5-31-2016 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Im thinking the same thing! its day TWO and no response!!!!what are we dealing with here....a nomad with a life?

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2016 at 06:58 PM

Don't go in summer. It is really too hot. Like really, really hot, and humid too!
Relative to fall, winter and spring, Very low numbers of people visit Baja in Summer, for a very good reason!
Don't do it!

Quote: Originally posted by Dariosantiago  
Hi! I am really ignorant when it comes to Baja, but as I was contemplating a summer vacation for the family, the thought occurred that I could take us to Baja for something a little different. I work in immigration law and I even litigate Mexican asylum claims, so I hear the horror stories all the time. I have never even seen or heard of a case from Baja though. I may have a skewed perspective of the dangers associated with travel in Mexico, so my question is simple. Is it safe to drive with the family all the way from Phoenix to La Paz? We don't have to go that far south if there are closer non touristy places you might recommend, but the beaches in La Paz look absolutely divine.

My wife is Mexican and the children and I all speak Spanish, so language is not a problem. I was just concerned about general violence and safety concerns. Any thoughts or suggestions as I contemplate a road trip of a week to ten days from Phoenix to Baja with a wife and four children ages 15, 12, 9, and 6? Am I crazy? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

TMW - 5-31-2016 at 07:58 PM

Stay on the Pacific side. Go thru TJ and take the coast down. Visit Shari and Blanca. Head down to San Juanico. Warm days and cool nights. Lots of good things to see.

JZ - 6-1-2016 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Stay on the Pacific side. Go thru TJ and take the coast down. Visit Shari and Blanca. Head down to San Juanico. Warm days and cool nights. Lots of good things to see.

Disagree strongly.

durrelllrobert - 6-1-2016 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

He can also cross at San Luis, Algadones, or Mexicali and take 5.
I said I ASSUME he woud be taken I-8. I personally like Algadones > MX 5 > Tecate better but my wife hates it