BajaNomad

Residente Permanente and U.S. Car

Baja13 - 5-30-2016 at 12:32 AM

Was wondering what's going on in Baja with U.S. plated cars and permanent resident holders? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports. I will be getting my permanent residence card in a few weeks and don't really want to get rid of my U.S. Car.
I live in Cabo. Thanks

Alm - 5-30-2016 at 01:09 AM

Nothing is going on.
But, in Cabo it's not necessarily the same as in "Baja" and neither instance is representative of what is really going on in the realm of federal laws governing PR's.

This - IMO - is the reason for conflicting reports. Reality vs legality. Also, RT vs RP - the former may, the latter may not. But they can.

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2016 at 08:08 AM

If you're talking about the requirement for RPs to import their car that does not apply in Baja YET and may even be on hold on the mainland.

Baja13 - 5-30-2016 at 04:28 PM

The law states that a Residente Permanente can't have TIP on their vehicle, thus a TIP is not required in Baja, so a permanente can drive a U.S. Plated car while in Baja? I can't find a specific law stating this that isn't tied to a TIP.

El Jefe - 5-30-2016 at 06:16 PM

Everyone does it. Don't worry about it.

weebray - 5-30-2016 at 07:16 PM

Jesus Christo, Someone has to bring this up every month! What is it about "drive on, don't worry" that you hosers can't understand. It's really annoying.

AKgringo - 5-30-2016 at 07:43 PM

Baja13, welcome to your second day on this forum!

As you can see, you are liable to get flamed for trying to find out what the law is. You may also get flamed for not trying to find out what the law is, so there is a balance of sorts.

Don't be discouraged, there are all types posting here, and someone may direct you to the correct answer...if there is one.

Baja13 - 5-30-2016 at 09:08 PM

Thanks! I hope Weebray doesn't see this question in the future, he might go postal.

willardguy - 5-30-2016 at 09:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja13  
Thanks! I hope Weebray doesn't see this question in the future, he might go postal.

thats just weebrayn's way of welcoming you to BN ;)