BajaNomad

Time to get me sorted out

Polyeidus - 6-1-2016 at 04:45 PM

Hello everyone.

After surviving a nasty marriage and crippling separation (financially devastated and source documents destroyed), and unable to afford both food AND shelter at the same time, I walked across the border into Tijuana with barely more than the clothes on my back. That was over a year ago. The funny part of the transition is that I feel safer living in the bad part of Tijuana than I did when I lived with her.

So... After taking this last year to try to figure out who I am and what direction I should be going, I realize that my plan to be here temporarily should be made more permanent.

I'm a US citizen, traveling around with only a California state ID card, and surviving on my US veteran's disability in the northern border zone.

I think I should get a Mexican bank account. Before I had been here a full year, I was told by one that I needed to prove that I'd been here a year, provide 2 bills in my name, and present 2 references. I now have all three requirements met, but I'm not sure what kind of account to get. Recommendations?

I also think that I should probably get a passport, but I don't have all the information or source documents requested on the application form. Am I screwed if I can't fill out every question? I was thinking about processing through the Tijuana Consulate office but when I called them, the person I talked with seemed clueless. I don't know what to do now.

Getting around would be a lot easier if I could drive, but I do not currently have a driver's license in either country. Do I need a FM-2 or FM-3 (MTRV/MPRV) to get a local license? Also, do I need one of the visas to legally purchase and register a car here?

I think I might even be interested in taking up some sort of part-time work to help pass the days, but I know I need a visa in order to do that legally.

I have enough money to start making my residence in Mexico legal, I just don't know where or with what to start.

My apologies for the wall of text.

Thank you for taking the time to read my plea for guidance.

willardguy - 6-1-2016 at 04:54 PM

I'd pass on the mexican bank and just live here on an FMM.....and forget that working idea, it takes up too much time!

woody with a view - 6-1-2016 at 04:59 PM

Save up you dollars and when you can afford a passport send for your birth cert., then process the passport form. you can get a 1 month post office box in the US for them to mail the passport. cross with your ID card and go get your passport.

seems like 75% of the issues are solved right there. the other 25% are what life is all about, making it worth living! Good Luck!

David K - 6-1-2016 at 05:51 PM

There is a U.S. consulate in Tijuana. I think you should at least see if you can get your passport there or get any other info you may need. Can't hurt to ask.

bledito - 6-1-2016 at 08:31 PM

before you get deported.

bajabuddha - 6-1-2016 at 08:40 PM

Welcome home, brother. Your Veteran's benefits will be enough; find something to activate your time and make it worthwhile; a hobby, a volunteer basis, something to keep your mind not only active but productive IF you can. Not all of us can or did.

You've earned your freedom, enjoy it; find a way to balance. Key word; BALANCE. Perfection is not in utopia.

FMM, definitely for now. One day at a time, one week, one month. Your path will appear if you look for it. Don't lay roots in infertile soil (as most post-service divorces are from).

JUST BE. Again, welcome home, and thanx.
bb

Damn BB

captkw - 6-1-2016 at 09:04 PM

That was right on and well thought out !!

bajaguy - 6-1-2016 at 09:28 PM

There are several organizations that can provide assistance to you in a one-on-one setting. These organizations have trained Veterans Service Officers on staff or on call that can help you obtain necessary paperwork/services that you are entitled to or that you need to get back on your feet.

American Legion.......(619) 400-5301
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).....(619) 400-5396
Disabled American Veterans (DAV).....(619) 299-6916
AMVETS..........(619) 400-5303
California Department of Veterans Affairs.....(619) 400-0070

Many of these organizations have offices located at the San Diego Regional Benefits Office:
San Diego Regional Benefit Office
8810 Rio San Diego Drive
San Diego, CA 92108

San Diego County also has a veterans Service Office:
5560 Overland Ave., Suite 310
San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: (858)694-3222

State of California Veterans Service Office
Hours: Monday through Friday 8 am to 4pm
Office: 180 Otay Lakes Rd., Ste. 108, Bonita, CA, 91902 479.4 mi.
Main: (877) 618-6534

bajabuddha - 6-1-2016 at 11:02 PM

As to Bajaguy's recommendation:

Each organization is viable, but only as good as the PERSON who is the Service Officer in charge of dealing with your situation BY POST and installed in each location, and districts have their own Service Officers to help... don't just trust off the bat, follow your instincts after talking to at least a few; been there, done that, so talk to SEVERAL, then pick the one most qualified in your opinion to represent you. Some will talk all about their experiences, and well-and-good, but if they dominate, it's all about them, not you. However, BG is right, get support.

Personal opinion, beware the VA; they are your LAST LINE OF DEFENSE, and will do everything to upset the apple cart. My choices; VFW, DAV, AM. Legion, AmVets.

Department of Veterans Affairs by State, depends on the representative.

Veterans Administration: I wouldn't let 'em do an autopsy on me. :cool:

Again, the rest of your 'stuff', just let it ride, my man. Passport, paperwork, bank acct., blah-blah and woof-woof, it'll all fall into line when it's due. Do what you need to do to be safe, sane, and comfortable.

Two rules: #1, 'Don't sweat the small stuff'. #2, 'It's all small stuff'.

[Edited on 6-2-2016 by bajabuddha]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-2-2016 at 08:34 AM

hola Polyeidus,

welcome to nomads and thank you for your service. i'm sure you will get all your answers here.

however and unfortunately, you will need a passport in order to get your FMM or just chance it without as over the years, i've been checked only once and that was exiting after picking up my son at the airport in cabo by the federal police.

good luck with whatever you decide and i am sorry to hear about your past marital situation.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

woody with a view - 6-2-2016 at 09:32 AM

Keep in mind that if you cross north and then return on foot at TJ they require you to have a passport or card.

BajaBlanca - 6-2-2016 at 11:46 AM

Best of luck getting everything sorted out!

The passport card costs $55 for first timers and only $30 if you have had a previous passport. It is good for ten years.

The card can be used to get the FMM, which is the document you need to stay legally in the country. t can be used for crossing on foot but is not good for air travel.

rhintransit - 6-2-2016 at 12:07 PM

Best wishes for getting things sorted out.
I've been in Mexico for twelve years now, never felt the need for a Mexican bank account. Friends have/have had them with varying degrees of satisfaction. They all have mysterious, never explained until questioned fees and charges. Easy to draw down your balance without realizing it.
You have a special reason for wanting one, security or peso assess or ???
The passport, great suggestions above, seems to be more priority.

Bob and Susan - 6-2-2016 at 02:02 PM

it's a slow week on the "nomad board"...
i wouldn't dwell on this string
i see several already "sucked in"...
of course some "real"...some "imaginary"...but all members

the story of polyeidus...a myth...

polyeidus was tasked to find a lost boy and educate him...he found him dead in a basement in "honey-pot"...while in the basement he killed an animal...the mate brought a herb and brought the killed animal back to life...polyeidus used the herb to bring the boy back to life...he taught him everything he knew as tasked...when all were satisfied polyeidus finished his task polyeidus had the boy "spit" into his mouth (weird stuff)...the boy then forgot everything he had been taught and the world went on...

this new guy
had a "nasty marriage" ...
a "crippling separation"...
he's "broke" and starving
and his important "documents destroyed"

he "walked across the border into Tijuana" and
"feels safer living in the bad part of Tijuana than with the wife

"a US citizen"
no drivers license only "a California state ID card"

"surviving on my US veteran's disability"...

poor guy is screwed already

I guess the story would be boring is this polyeidus was a regular veteran...Vietnam or Iraq a couple of college years before he was deployed...left after 6yrs as a captain...finished college...married 25 yrs now...2 kids...3 grandkids...

in our story he's a disabled vet...as if no one else would live in tj : )
the ex wife is always a problem
no visa...no passport...nothing

yup...he's screwed and looking for "advice"

type away

SFandH - 6-2-2016 at 03:22 PM

Interesting username.

http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/polyeidus.html

Polyeidus (pol-ee-AYE-dus)

Seer descended from Melampus. As a clairvoyant, Polyeidus was called upon by King Minos when his son Glaucus disappeared one day in the labyrinthine passages and countless chambers of the palace of Knossos. Polyeidus found the boy smothered in a jar of honey and was then imprisoned by Minos until such time as he could restore him to life. In his captivity, Polyeidus witnessed a snake revive a dead companion by rubbing it with a certain herb, and this proved equally efficacious with Glaucus. Now Minos demanded that the boy be taught all the seer's arts of prophesy. Reluctantly Polyeidus complied, but when he was finally able to take his leave from the demanding tyrant, he asked Glaucus to spit into his mouth, whereupon he immediately forgot all that he had learned. It was Polyeidus who advised Bellerophon how to tame the flying horse Pegasus.

---------------------------------------------------------

Anybody into Greek mythology is OK with me. I like reading the stuff. Monotheism is so boring except perhaps the Book of Enoch. Inspiration for the Sandman Slim novels, good stuff. Fallen angels, nephilim, etc.

[Edited on 6-2-2016 by SFandH]

bajabuddha - 6-2-2016 at 03:49 PM

I see our Omnipotent Keeper of the Light (house) has seen through the ruse of this OP.... must know them personally. if it is indeed a ruse, I see no harm / no foul in it anyway. Nobody's chasing through the desert for a corpse.... and I think there's a slight difference between being concerned/helpful and just being "sucked in"...

I wish I could be so wise and aloof in my lofty perch. Alas, but some are just mere mortals incapable of sleuth-like discernment.

DENNIS - 6-2-2016 at 03:54 PM

What's not to believe?

chuckie - 6-2-2016 at 04:21 PM

????????

mojo_norte - 6-2-2016 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

What's not to believe?

How does he cash his veterans disability check without going back into the US - or have I missed something ?

chuckie - 6-2-2016 at 04:33 PM

Direct deposit..works for me....

SFandH - 6-2-2016 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  

What's not to believe?

How does he cash his veterans disability check without going back into the US - or have I missed something ?

How did he walk into into TJ without a passport? They make you get a FMM when walking. Driving? Not necessary. :lol:

DENNIS - 6-2-2016 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  

What's not to believe?

Direct deposit. ooops. didn't see you up there Chuckie.

Another option .......the SY entrance is very near the Foreign Book. They'll cash almost anything.

[Edited on 6-3-2016 by DENNIS]

willardguy - 6-2-2016 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I see our Omnipotent Keeper of the Light (house) has seen through the ruse of this OP.... must know them personally. if it is indeed a ruse, I see no harm / no foul in it anyway. Nobody's chasing through the desert for a corpse.... and I think there's a slight difference between being concerned/helpful and just being "sucked in"...

I wish I could be so wise and aloof in my lofty perch. Alas, but some are just mere mortals incapable of sleuth-like discernment.

:lol:....like anyone takes the lighthouse keeper seriously..:rolleyes:

Marc - 6-2-2016 at 11:32 PM

This is giving me a headache. I'm going to bed.

chuckie - 6-3-2016 at 01:49 AM

Good plan....

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2016 at 06:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

:lol:....like anyone takes the lighthouse keeper seriously..:rolleyes:

Lighthouse keeper?
He sounds more like a foghorn.

chuckie - 6-3-2016 at 07:04 AM

Bullhorn

woody with a view - 6-3-2016 at 08:13 AM

Leghorn.

DENNIS - 6-3-2016 at 09:46 AM

Horndog

sancho - 6-3-2016 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

How did he walk into into TJ without a passport? They make you get a FMM when walking. Driving? Not necessary. :lol:

Reading the OP post, he did say he walked across a yr. ago,
last Oct., when the new Mex Imm bldg opened was when all
peds entering TJ were required to get some form of fmm.
Other crossings, Mexicali for instance, APPARENTLY, allow
day visitors to go in without an fmm. Wonder how many
tourists driving into TJ get an fmm for the few days visit?
Not sure I would consider TJ safer than the US

chuckie - 6-3-2016 at 12:29 PM

I am not going to judge this poster, sounds like more than one person I have known....Best wishes to him

AKgringo - 6-3-2016 at 12:42 PM

The original poster did not ask for help, just advice! If I had useful information that has not already been covered, I would post it, but we have no indication that he is even following his own thread.

I hope his life take a track that allows him positive choices.

DENNIS - 6-3-2016 at 01:02 PM

I'll try a few with my opinions:

Mex bank account.......no. Bank NOB and use Mex ATMs.

Car..... buy a Baja Beater in the states and get a US license. A Mex plated car will require a Mex license which can't be used for driving a US plated vehicle.

Learn the local bus system.....Micros.

Passport....for sure. There's a passport office in Chula Vista. go in and talk with them.

Work in Mex ..................no idea what you do, but there are a lot of legal controls on the issue.

Safety............vigilance is a must. Don't take your comfort zone for granted, and watch who you befriend.

[Edited on 6-3-2016 by DENNIS]

BajaBlanca - 6-3-2016 at 01:28 PM

I so agree with the NO Mexican bank account. fee upon fee upon surprise fee.

I bet he can get the passport in TJ so he doesn't have to walk across and then not be able to re-enter (without passport).

Welcome to Bajanomad.

NOB BTW is north of border