BajaNomad

Punta Banda RV spot

SFandH - 6-3-2016 at 11:18 AM

Thinking about a getaway for a few days close to the border in our cabover camper. Are there any RV campgrounds on the water along the road to the blowhole, preferably with a restaurant/bar, a bit of a party atmosphere.

La Jolla campground maybe?

Opinions?

bajabuddha - 6-3-2016 at 01:54 PM

I've stayed at La Jolla dozens of times since '95, used to love it. Unfortunately, most of the RV spots have gone year-lease private now; only a few around the bath-house and concession buildings. Maybe two electric hook-ups left, and they spark when you plug in. They and water (salty) are one row back from the beach. Ask at the office where the hot shower building is; it's not on the beach, but back in the houses/enclave.

On the weekends the beach is packed with locals tent camping, complete with Semana Santa-style parties and noise, although the owner doesn't permit all-nighter-revelry, but it is crowded. The last few times I camped there a guy named Butch (Americano) who rents surf toys told me "If you love it, lock it"..... lots of pilferage. The beach is very nice though, price is right, owners very congenial.

At low tide walk out on the sand and head east almost to the surf line; there are hot springs in the sand close to the eastern boundary of the park. Some hot enough not to stand in; fun to scoop a puddle and have a good hot mud soak and rinse off in the surf.

No restaurants or party spots in the near vicinity, a few on the road a mile or two, better up a mile from the blowhole. Been a while, i'm sure the Punta Bandits will tell you better. La Jolla used to be a favorite stop-and-stock-up place.

...Forgot to mention, there is another RV park next door to LJ, don't know the name, or if it's even still open; much pricier, a little more shade/privacy, no amenities I know of, other than a small 'strip-mall' out front; little tienda, can't remember what else. Again, locals can advise better.

[Edited on 6-3-2016 by bajabuddha]

SFandH - 6-3-2016 at 04:01 PM

Hmm, sounds like LJ is not the spot. I saw the RV place next to LJ that you mentioned on Google maps but I'm not sure I want to drive through Ensenada tomorrow because of the Baja 500.

Maybe the large RV spot just south of La Mision. Anybody stayed there lately?

DENNIS - 6-3-2016 at 06:49 PM

The La Joya neighbor is Villarino's. Nice spot.

How about Estero Beach? That would be my first choice.

DENNIS - 6-3-2016 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

On the weekends the beach is packed with locals tent camping, complete with Semana Santa-style parties and noise, although the owner doesn't permit all-nighter-revelry, but it is crowded. The last few times I camped there a guy named Butch (Americano) who rents surf toys told me "If you love it, lock it"..... lots of pilferage. The beach is very nice though, price is right, owners very congenial.

No camping allowed on the beach. The noisy element on crowded weekends are a mixture of Nationals escaping Mexicali heat, and US tourists wishing they were Nationals....... a pathetic element claiming unity with "Mi Tierra".....their mother land. I've heard them referred to as "Men without a country."
My bud, Butch, is still here when not home up in Orange County.

bajabuddha - 6-3-2016 at 08:34 PM

"Beach" meant first row of the park above the tide line. Butch was a great guy, congenial and insightful. That 'first row' was as I said, like Semana Santa at Santispac; tent-touching-tent all weekend.

Call it what you want, dennis. Pathetic? Who's calling who what? Was just a long, loud party every weekend as usual.

DENNIS - 6-4-2016 at 07:34 AM

You really need to read carefully before responding, and when all else fails, get your facts straight.

waynegrill - 6-21-2016 at 06:37 PM

Stayed at Villarinos for over 6 months. Great CG close to beach, gated (roped) entrance Water, sewer & elect. Hot showers, Bathrooms, nice little market, Cold Beer. Owner and son in law run the place and are GREAT PEOPLE. Close to La Bufadora. In front of La Joya Camp check out Armanda's Tamale stand best of all of them. IMHO