BajaNomad

Fireworks into Mexico and Gonzaga road report

vandy - 6-12-2016 at 08:49 PM

I just drove north through Gonzaga in my little Honda Civic.
The washboard was minimal. Last time i tried, i turned around
100 meters from the entrance at Laguna Chapala due to 2"
Washboard.

At no time did the road threaten my oilpan, although i had to
weave quite a bit. The frontage roads were smoother, but i
didnt have the ground clearance.

After Coco's (and three Pacificos) the road seemed a lot
smoother.

Total dirt was 23.4 miles according to my odometer.
It took a little over an hour, plus the Coco's stop.

Now my question: Am i allowed to bring fireworks into Mexico?
I found a decent wholesale supplier who will deliver
to AZ, but I'd hate to have $600 worth confiscated.
No finger-removing explosives.
I get those in Mexico.

weebray - 6-13-2016 at 10:14 AM

Common sense should tell you that bringing in $600 of anything into Mexico is setting yourself up for trouble. I don't know the legalities of such an idea but I think it is a prima facie case of misconduct. Anyway, why bring sand to the desert?

David K - 6-13-2016 at 10:43 AM

Yes, fireworks are sold in Mexico, so to protect Mexican business (in the same way extra cans full of gasoline is not allowed), don't expect that to be okay. On another front, if ammo is illegal than explosives (also made with gunpowder) are likely just as illegal?

AKgringo - 6-13-2016 at 11:37 AM

For an interesting side note (or minor hijack) I camp out of a small SUV, so anything that I want to protect from dirt, sand, dog hair, or getting crushed, I put in a military ammo can.

It sits on the floor right behind the passenger seat, and in the last four trips down the length of Baja, no one has ever asked me to open it!

David K - 6-13-2016 at 12:12 PM

They must have thought you were hiding a geocache?

Lee - 6-13-2016 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  

Now my question: Am i allowed to bring fireworks into Mexico?
I found a decent wholesale supplier who will deliver
to AZ, but I'd hate to have $600 worth confiscated.
No finger-removing explosives.
I get those in Mexico.

Hide it in different places in your vehicle. If it's found, have some cash ready to pay a tax. If they make a fuss, tell them they can have them.

Too many places to get fireworks: Loreto, LP, Todos. $600 wholesale sounds excessive. On the other hand, you can never have too much fireworks. Love my flare gun too.

JZ - 6-13-2016 at 03:35 PM

Don't even trust those Mexican roman candle things. One went off in my kids hand last year and gave him a pretty good blister.

Put them in the ground after that and watched a second one explode.

vandy - 6-13-2016 at 03:53 PM

I guess I like firecrackers that come 16/pack
and mortars without fast fuse.
Check out Excaliburs if you get the chance.

I did a little online research and it appears
that I can't/shouldn't take them across...
You know, like that 30 liters of wine or the 8
used tires I took down.

If they're found, I'm just going to say "esta la quinceanera
de la hija de mi bien amigo" and see how it works.
I buy $500 worth to get free hazmat shipping
And that could never possibly be enough...

I'll probably get popped in California or have a small
electrical fire. So why worry?

bajabuddha - 6-13-2016 at 04:18 PM

A couple of Californicaters are residents in the camp I stayed in last. They both (or at least one) had legal licenses in CA to do the BEEG JUANS.... as in areal mortar displays. They'd always have some on hand for ..... whenever they felt like it. Far's getting them in (and i'm talking professional grade) I can't tell you how they did it; but I would imagine since the 'bigger stuff' is openly sold in Mexico, there aren't many worries about bringing it IN. Taking it back, a beeeg no-no.

I personally love seeing all the litter of spent shots all over clean beaches after large parties. Who was it..... ah, Pierre-Paul of the Giants? Tsk. Being a Nam Vet I asked both my neighbors to just kindly come and tell me when they were gonna fire off shots in the camp, but hell, variety the spice of life and spontenaety the tabasco, right? And NEVER handle fireworks SOBER, that's the rule Numero Uno! So there were several times I ended up on the patio from the first shot (never once pre-announced). Ain't fun to dive with a fractured spine any more. Sometimes i'd only spill my drink...

Point is, please warn your neighbors, especially if they have pets, or Vets......

AKgringo - 6-13-2016 at 04:59 PM

The dog I used to travel with would hide, and tremble when the fireworks stared, and ran off once. The girl I have now has not been around them yet, but seems to enjoy lightning and thunder!

One of my fellow campers on an Alaska beach set up a roman candle in front of his tent one 4th of July. After the first couple of bursts, his pit bull attacked the candle, knocked it over, and shot the next couple of flares right into his open tent!

So, yeah...pets need to be taken into consideration!

SFandH - 6-13-2016 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

So, yeah...pets need to be taken into consideration!

That's for sure, and this comes up time and again here on Nomad. IMHO folks that set off fireworks are very inconsiderate. I cut slack on the 4th of July and New Year's Eve, but other nights I get angry. My dogs, like most, tremble in fear and they would bolt if I didn't keep them inside or leashed. And a lost dog is a horrible thing.

I like fireworks, especially big bombs where you can feel the blast, but after seeing what they do to dogs, even small firecrackers, I can live without them.

vandy - 6-13-2016 at 10:36 PM

I light my fireworks in a national park turtle sanctuary
where no dogs are allowed.
So there'll probably just be a dozen or so around.

The locals light their government
fireworks in the same spot during Semana
Santa.
Pretty good ones, too.

I feel bad for bolting dogs. I'm not a monster.
I warn everybody that the local celebration will have
a little more ooomph.

What dya mean we don't have fireworks
On Tuesday nights?
And, of course, fireworks Friday.
And thunder Thursdays.

micah202 - 6-13-2016 at 11:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Don't even trust those Mexican roman candle things. One went off in my kids hand last year and gave him a pretty good blister.

....why would he be holding a lit firework? :?:

.....let off a single (big) banger on the beach below beluga campground in Gonzaga......
. ..... the feds were there within ~10min :o :wow:

[Edited on 6-14-2016 by micah202]

David K - 6-14-2016 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
I light my fireworks in a national park turtle sanctuary
where no dogs are allowed.

So there'll probably just be a dozen or so around.

The locals light their government
fireworks in the same spot during Semana
Santa.
Pretty good ones, too.

I feel bad for bolting dogs. I'm not a monster.
I warn everybody that the local celebration will have
a little more ooomph.

What dya mean we don't have fireworks
On Tuesday nights?
And, of course, fireworks Friday.
And thunder Thursdays.

I bet the turtles love that! :o:rolleyes:

I will admit, fireworks are fascinating, at least when we are young.
My folks bought me bottle rockets and small firecracker strings on our Baja trips to Nuevo Mazatlan in the 60s.
I would get my kids some on our first couple of trips to Shell Island after they were teens.
There is a point of outgrowing the need for loud noise and flashes of light, at least for us. Now, we enjoy the quiet or 'white noise' of the sea and birds, and the colors of sunsets, when on Shell Island.
We do see skyrockets launched from Bahia Santa Maria and south, and Percebu to the north, during gringo holidays.

BooJumMan - 6-14-2016 at 09:25 PM

Offroading your Civic drunk and lighting fireworks in Mexico sounds like an excellent idea.

vandy - 6-15-2016 at 06:03 AM

Oh boojum, you are so GooFY.
Good For You.
Great Fun Yowza.