BajaNomad

Checking in on family

Gibbinslady - 6-15-2016 at 01:40 PM

Hello,
This is Kat Schreiber, John & Karen Gibbins daughter.
John & Karen left on Saturday June 11th mid-day for Bahia with my daughter.
They were going to check in once they arrived (Sunday June 12th) and had wifi setup but we have not heard from them yet (and its now Wednesday June 15th). They are supposed to return on Saturday June 18th...
Is anyone down at Bahia right now and could let us know that they made it down safe?
Thank you - I will be monitoring this post.
-Kat

AKgringo - 6-15-2016 at 01:58 PM

Kat, I am sorry that I am not down there to help, but for those who are, can you give us a description of the vehicle, what state are the plates, and what age and a bit about your family?

Sorry this is such a stressful introduction to Baja Nomads, but welcome to the forum, and help should be along shortly!

Gibbinslady - 6-15-2016 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Kat, I am sorry that I am not down there to help, but for those who are, can you give us a description of the vehicle, what state are the plates, and what age and a bit about your family?

Sorry this is such a stressful introduction to Baja Nomads, but welcome to the forum, and help should be along shortly!

Thank you AKgringo. Ive watched the BajaNomads site for a long time - just the first I've ever posted!
They are in a white GMC Yukon, CA Plate. Karen and John are both 59yo and my daughter is 11yo. They have two dogs with them (both english springer spaniels). Karen, and John especially, are both fluent in Spanish and have had a house in Bahia for 20+ years. My daughter has been down there a lot as well but not usually without my husband or I as well. So maybe we are being freaked out parents, but better to check than wait...imho. Karen & John are usually very good about checking in when they arrive so was just hoping that Bill/Dan/or one of the other folks near them might be down there and was checking the forum.

David K - 6-15-2016 at 04:04 PM

Bahia what?
Bahia de los Angeles, Bahia Asuncion, Bahia Concepcion... ???
I am sure someone here can help!

Gibbinslady - 6-15-2016 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bahia what?
Bahia de los Angeles, Bahia Asuncion, Bahia Concepcion... ???
I am sure someone here can help!

Bahia de Los Angeles :)

Gibbinslady - 6-15-2016 at 04:16 PM

They usually stop in Catavina and stay the night then finish the drive in the morning...so they should have been there by midday Sunday.
Just unusual that we haven't heard anything from them.

David K - 6-15-2016 at 04:16 PM

Thanks! That was my first guess... but this is too important to not be sure, Baja is a big place with lots of Bahias.

There is Internet and telephone service to many places there.
A couple of Nomads are down at Camp Gecko or nearby right now. Do you know what campo they are at or any other location you can provide (it can be discretely via u2u, if you wish)?

Gibbinslady - 6-15-2016 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks! That was my first guess... but this is too important to not be sure, Baja is a big place with lots of Bahias.

There is Internet and telephone service to many places there.
A couple of Nomads are down at Camp Gecko or nearby right now. Do you know what campo they are at or any other location you can provide (it can be discretely via u2u, if you wish)?

I was going to send a fax to Lizzeth in just a bit to see if anyone in town has seen them, but thought Id try here first.

They should be at their house on La Gringa, Casa de Sirena. Its located about midway among the houses. Stone house with palapa porch facing the bay (thats not typical or anything down there ;) They also have a little casita right behind the main house...

DianaT - 6-15-2016 at 05:39 PM

Did you also post this on the TalkBaja facebook page?

Hope they are just having internet problems which are so common.

Good luc

24baja - 6-15-2016 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gibbinslady  
Hello,
They were going to check in once they arrived (Sunday June 12th) and had wifi setup but we have not heard from them yet (and its now Wednesday June 15th). They are supposed to return on Saturday June 18th...
Is anyone down at Bahia right now and could let us know that they made it down safe?
-Kat

Hi Kat,

This is Connie, we are neighbors to your folks. They and your beautiful daughter arrived safely and were looking into getting internet. We last saw them Monday night and all was well. We have now returned home but I will get in touch with Dan Merrit and have them call you.

Gibbinslady - 6-15-2016 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
Hello,
-Kat

Hi Kat,

This is Connie, we are neighbors to your folks. They and your beautiful daughter arrived safely and were looking into getting internet. We last saw them Monday night and all was well. We have now returned home but I will get in touch with Dan Merrit and have them call you.

Thank you so much Connie!!!!! They literally just got ahold of us. Such a huge relief.
This forum has been so supportive and helped immensely in getting the word out fast. I couldnt be more thankful☺️❤️

barcodemarco - 6-15-2016 at 10:43 PM

Great use of the forum! Such a good community of Baja folk. I'll have to get my wife signed up...

jbcoug - 6-16-2016 at 12:09 AM

Excellent news!

BajaBlanca - 6-16-2016 at 07:23 AM

:bounce:

AKgringo - 6-16-2016 at 07:46 AM

Good to see that the 'maņana' factor still works out in the long run!

(alt + 164 for the ņ)

tripledigitken - 6-16-2016 at 08:29 AM

Great news!

Udo - 6-16-2016 at 09:09 AM

BAHIA WHAT?
There are a lot of them in Baja.

Hello,
-Kat

David K - 6-16-2016 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
BAHIA WHAT?
There are a lot of them in Baja.

Read my first reply in this thread Udo. You and I think alike!

fdt - 6-16-2016 at 10:23 AM

(alt + 164 for the ņ)

More like the day after maņana

Pappy Jon - 6-19-2016 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  

(alt + 164 for the ņ)

More like the day after maņana

I don't know about Baja, but here in New Mexico maņana does not mean "tomorrow." It just means "not today."

cocomo - 6-20-2016 at 11:08 AM

So happy to hear that everything turned out well. I got a Mexico cell plan so I can avoid delays and worrying people about my whereabouts, and because so many vehicles break down. Proportionately I'm involved in more breakdowns than I should be....