BajaNomad

Where EXACTLY is the personal weather station in BOLA?

Hook - 6-21-2016 at 07:49 AM

The one that is listed as being one mile south of town on Weather Underground. Is it between town and Gecko? Owned by a guy who goes my MexMike.

Looking for a reliable source of wind, temp, humidity in the area for potential anchorages in the summer. I am really wondering how indicative it is of winds off of Guillermo's. Anyone know?

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by Hook]

mtgoat666 - 6-21-2016 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
The one that is listed as being one mile south of town on Weather Underground. Is it between town and Gecko? Owned by a guy who goes my MexMike.

Looking for a reliable source of wind, temp, humidity in the area for potential anchorages in the summer. I am really wondering how indicative it is of winds off of Guillermo's. Anyone know?

The WU station should be at correct location if owner entered lat n long correctly when registering.

Re anchorages, south (eg ghecko) is milder winds and better protected than north (eg la gringa).

You should post on the boating forums if you want boating advice.

larryC - 6-21-2016 at 08:24 AM

Actually it is at Mike E's house. He set it up and maintains it. Yes he goes by MexMike. Not far at all from Guillermo's so yes it would be a good indicator of the wind there.
Larry

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by larryC]

David K - 6-21-2016 at 08:40 AM

'Graham' sometimes posts from there.

Hook - 6-21-2016 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The WU station should be at correct location if owner entered lat n long correctly when registering.

Re anchorages, south (eg ghecko) is milder winds and better protected than north (eg la gringa).

You should post on the boating forums if you want boating advice.

And you should be posting on bicycle forums, instead of busting the balls of fishermen and desert vehicle owners on this forum.

Still, you gave me some good advice on cutting the lat/long numbers from his PWS and inserting it in Google Maps/Earth view. It shows me exactly where he is. Thank you kindly for that.

Alm - 6-21-2016 at 06:05 PM

Looking for a reliable source of wind, temp, humidity in the area for potential anchorages in the summer. I am really wondering how indicative it is of winds off of Guillermo's.

Sailflow.com.
A convenient interface, with forecasts and archives. They are using same source station. There isn't much else, take it or leave it.

Winds off Guillerrmo's? Oh, it's difficult to tell, a lot depends whether it's blowing towards the bar or from it. I think the prevailing direction among gringo sailors is "towards".

If there is a quiet spot in town, it's all this stretch from Isla Mercado to Diaz motel. Unless you hole up in the South end which I don't consider a "town" ;)