BajaNomad

Motorhome trip from San Diego to Baja Seasons RV Resort - HELP!

SoCalAngler - 6-22-2016 at 08:38 AM

Hello fellow BNers!

Been several years since I entered into Baja. Years past, 1982-1994, had me visit annually and did trips to the tip and back several times! Truck and small camper with stays at Loreto, Concepcion, Mulege, La Paz, Cabo, etc.. Back then I was younger, less wise, but much more adventurous!

Now, at 53 with a wife and two kids (11, 17) I am much more cautious, safety minded, and sadly, less adventurous. Sometime I cant believe I am the same person now at 53 as to when I was in my 20s-30s!

We just purchased a very nice 2005 Class C motor home and would like to head down to Baja Seasons RV Resort which is just north of La Salina (KM 72.5) for 4-5 days. We would visit here back in 2004-07 towing a TT, and later a 5th wheel, and stay in summer for several days at a time. It was wonderful when the kids were young... the loved playing on the beach, trips to La Bufadora, getting all sorts of handmade Mexican made toys, sweet Mexican confections, etc!

Sadly, when things got a little sketchy around that area after 2007, we avoided going there.

Now, we would like to take our motor home down for a few days and enjoy some cooler weather. We are in the Inland Empire and it is hot here!

Plan is to travel down to Baja Seasons with friends who are towing their TT and we are following them. Return trip after 4 days will be mid-week and we will return alone, as our friends are staying for another 10 days.

IF we go, we plan on getting motorhome insurance through BajaBound.com

Wife and I, and 17yo, all speak fluent Spanish. Our 11 yo has Autism and is mostly non verbal.

Concerns: wife is VERY concerned that crime will rear its ugly head in the form of corrupt cops, drug thugs, lords, etc....ALL seeking to get some $$$ out of us, or worse, kidnapping us for ransom! Seeing our nice looking expensive motor home (it really isn't that expensive) will motivate them thinking these people must have some $$$ and plan a way to cause us an accident, break down, flat tire, etc...

1. Are we safe traveling to and from Baja Seasons through San Ysidro?
2. What to do and NOT to do?
3. Shall we avoid this area/place and stick to camping in the US somewhere?

Thanks!

Trip

bajaguy - 6-22-2016 at 08:49 AM

Go and have fun!!!

Be sure to stop in San Ysidro and get your FMM's (need a passport or passport card for everybody)

You might also want to check out the RV park at Estero Beach in Ensenada and Villarino's in Punta Banda on the way to La Bufadora

TMW - 6-22-2016 at 08:51 AM

Yes you are safe traveling in Baja.

Drive during the day not at night.

Don't speed and if stopped by a cop tell him you want to go to the police station to pay the fine. He may have you follow him a short distance then let you go or if you were speeding go to the station and pay the small fine.

I am not familiar with La Salina so I can't say if it is a good place to be or not. If there are other RVs there I would think it would be OK.

[Edited on 6-22-2016 by TMW]

David K - 6-22-2016 at 08:53 AM

My opinion of your questions:

1) YES, safe traveling in the daytime... lots of fellow humans on the road with you.

2) Don't breaK any laws... you aren't going very far into Mexico. Do have fun. You are supposed to get FMM (tourist cards) now for anywhere in Baja, no more "border zone" exemption. There are FREE 7 day cards or $25 US (approx.) 180 day cards. YOU MUST HAVE a PASSPORT for everyone to get them!

3) Baja is great, but I would generally never camp next to a highway unless its in a secured campground and no other options were available.

You have been away from Baja for too long amigo!
Next time, think of going to Bahia Asuncion and let Shari and amigos there show you a great time! In a motorhome, a 2 day drive to stay in the daylight driving.

BajaTed - 6-22-2016 at 09:19 AM

Baja Seasons has a big fence around it with on site security guards, nice safe place. RV's and towed rigs will have an easier time crossing at Otay Mesa IMO.
The La Salina area nearby is very safe also.

Get insurance at E street off the 805 at the drive up insurance booth.

Some autistic people love the constant soothing sound of the surf.
Realize, the three most stressful things in life are death divorce and family vacations.
Enjoy the adventure and it will all work out.

Lee - 6-22-2016 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SoCalAngler  

1. Are we safe traveling to and from Baja Seasons through San Ysidro?
2. What to do and NOT to do?
3. Shall we avoid this area/place and stick to camping in the US somewhere?

Thanks!

Anyone who writes that Baja is safe is not in touch with Baja. Is Inland Empire safe? It's safe for those who've never had a bad experience. Doesn't mean a thing.

I drive Baja looking for possible trouble and scams. I'm mentally ready to deal with cops on the take. I'm expecting this stuff.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Have fun.

SlyOnce - 6-22-2016 at 02:12 PM

I live in Playas at KM 0. That area you are going to is as safe as anything in MX. Drive slow. Be defensive. Obey the laws. Stay out of Centro TJ. Avoid crossing in SY into Baja on Thursday and Friday rush hours (hit it before 3 or after 10 PM). Follow the orange detour signs to Ave. International (the signs say Playas/Rosarito). PAY IN PESOS except at Commercial MX or Walmart. Be aware of your surroundings.

You will have a great time. Chances of being a crime victim or victim of corrupt government officials are VERY SMALL if you do the above.

elgatoloco - 6-22-2016 at 02:39 PM

Don't drink the water out of the hose. :saint:

We used to pull off the freeway for insurance but ever since Al invented the internet we haven't had to and would wonder why anyone would?

Just saying. :dudette:

willardguy - 6-22-2016 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Don't drink the water out of the hose. :saint:

We used to pull off the freeway for insurance but ever since Al invented the internet we haven't had to and would wonder why anyone would?

Just saying. :dudette:

simple....the cost of printer ink!;)

Ricky - 6-22-2016 at 09:05 PM

Go for it, safe (my place is next exit going south, La Salina). Long beach walk, but you can walk to the La Salina Cantena have lunch and walk it off