BajaNomad

Any woodturners in BCS?

Mula - 6-22-2016 at 04:00 PM

Bringing a lathe and equipment down and wondering if there are any old turners around down here.

I turned for years in Alaska, but 10 years have passed.

Might be a little rusty.

Would be nice to have a pal for refreshing techniques, etc.

mtnpop - 6-22-2016 at 04:10 PM

check with willyairstream in Mulege... he does a lot of woodworking projects,, if not I can u2u someone that is there in the winter lives in the oasis.... He might also know some....
good luck

Mula - 6-22-2016 at 04:16 PM

Great. Thanks.

willyAirstream - 6-23-2016 at 08:37 AM

Hola Mula, (that has a nice ring :)
I don't turn, but would like to learn, as there is some interesting woods here. The 2 hardwood suppliers, in Loreto, carry some exotic Mex woods. I will ask some of the local woodworkers if they know any turners.

Mula - 6-23-2016 at 05:54 PM

Thanks Willy.

I turned mesquite and una de gato (beautiful) when I first got here - on a little table top lathe - made fish bonkers.

But was too much noise and stuff for the neighbors running a generator for the lathe - so I quit.

Wonder if you can get bowl and plate blanks anywhere?

Did not know there were hardwood suppliers in Loreto. That's GREAT!

Come down to Lopez in Aug or Sept for a cool off and try turning.

AKgringo - 6-23-2016 at 06:15 PM

Mula, what size chunks of wood can you handle, and do you have a band or table saw to cut wood down to size?

I have a few interesting chunks of hardwood in the basement, and plan to explore your area next fall. I know there are restrictions on bringing wood into MX, but it might be worthwhile to try.

Mula - 6-23-2016 at 06:31 PM

I have a band saw, chain saw and can handle up to 16". And access to a table saw.

I have a guest house here if you come by Lopez you are welcome to use.

Thanks.
By the way, I will be in Anchorage next week. Going up Saturday.

AKgringo - 6-23-2016 at 06:52 PM

It has been a very pleasant spring so far, I am even going to have to water my lawn since we have missed the frequent showers we usually get this time of year!

By the way, the wood I was talking about is in a basement in Northern CA, not here.

Mula - 6-23-2016 at 07:05 PM

Thanks AKgringo. I used to have multiple homes and every time I needed something it was at the other place/s and then I ended up with many of everything. Hard to downsize with a life like that.

Anyway, look forward to meeting you someday - Alaska or Mexico.

AKgringo - 6-23-2016 at 07:40 PM

Mula, check your U2U