BajaNomad

Anyone live(d) in Loreto?

nomana - 6-30-2016 at 09:57 PM

I'm looking for information about living in Loreto. Rentals (short and long term), availability of stores and medical care, really anything would be great. Gracias

fdt - 6-30-2016 at 10:23 PM

What happened to Rosarito and Bajamar?

:?:

BajaMama - 7-1-2016 at 05:43 AM

I have never lived in Loreto but I have stayed/fished there and I go to the airport quite a bit. Has a lot of restaurants, the "mission" downtown is a really nice area. You can get most of what you need, I hear medical care is pretty good. Just south there is a really big condo project filled with gringos. And there is ample electricity which you will need for the summer A/C. It gets REALLY HOT along the Sea of Cortez in BCS in the summer. We stay in Punta Chivato,(about 90 miles north of Loreto) but it is still off the grid (no electricity) - not a lot of summer dwellers, including us.

rhintransit - 7-1-2016 at 07:39 AM

yes, I've lived in Loreto for 10 going on 11 years now. you'll probably hear from a number of other Nomads. lots of expats and seasonal folk here. u2u me your email address and specific questions and I'll be glad to help.

nomana - 7-1-2016 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  

I drove south. :D

Right now am in Punta Banda for the summer, since that's about as far south as I can go without the drive to NOB being too long. I'm hoping soon I won't have to go NOB at all, or only very rarely.

I still want to drive the length of Baja. Hoping to plan a trip to a couple towns, such as Loreto, in the next month or two. Would love to live out of my car for a couple weeks and just explore...

nomana - 7-1-2016 at 01:42 PM

Muchas Gracias BajaMama

rhintransit sending u2u now

Udo - 7-1-2016 at 01:51 PM

Where in Punta Banda are you?

Quote: Originally posted by nomana  

Right now am in Punta Banda for the summer, since that's about as far south as I can go without the drive to NOB being too long. I'm hoping soon I won't have to go NOB at all, or only very rarely.

I still want to drive the length of Baja. Hoping to plan a trip to a couple towns, such as Loreto, in the next month or two. Would love to live out of my car for a couple weeks and just explore...

BigBearRider - 7-1-2016 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nomana  

Although I like Punta Banda, and many other places in BC,
I think BCS is nicer. But tastes vary.

Loreto is a very nice place. It has a lot of comforts in a small package. Did you check out Punta Chivato?

nomana - 7-1-2016 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

Although I like Punta Banda, and many other places in BC,
I think BCS is nicer. But tastes vary.

Loreto is a very nice place. It has a lot of comforts in a small package. Did you check out Punta Chivato?

Yeah. I haven't made it further south yet, but I think that's how I will feel too. I'm just tied a bit to the US right now, but hopefully will be free soon.

I will check out Punta Chivato. Gracias

Bajahowodd - 7-1-2016 at 03:59 PM

I'm surprised that my friend Howard has not posted on this thread. I truly suggest that nomana send a U2U to nomad Howard, who has lived in Loreto for a number of years. He will undoubtedly be able to give you much help.

BajaBlanca - 7-1-2016 at 04:22 PM

funny line: I drove south! hahahaha

Loretana - 7-1-2016 at 05:25 PM

Nomana, Loreto has it all and more. Rent a small place here for a month and it won't take you long to figure it all out.

Yes, it's hot as Hades in the summer. So what? The water and nights are warm, and the fishing is great. Snorkeling? Stargazing? Beachcombing? We've got it here.

The grocery stores have gotten much better in the past few years. But you will develop your favorites and notice that you still need to hit at least 3 places to get exactly what you need to make lasagna. It gets you out and about and speaking the language.

We have a strong sense of community here, and matriarchal ties. No kids get away with anything, because somebody who knows their Mother tells her what kind of mischief they were involved in over the grapevine.

Our restaurants are excellent, in waves. We have hairdressers, masseuses, cute clothes in the shops, and lots of neat junky artesania, along with second hand stores.

The architecture is pleasing, and improving all the time. Lots of Baja history emanates from this location.

There is a new generation of environmentally minded folks who appreciate and value the beauty and resources of this beautiful pueblo.
There are also some talented, much loved and underpaid musicians and fine artists.

The Doctor is a well known respected gentleman and a good diagnostician. Get your evacuation insurance and fly to the US if anything serious happens regarding your health. Other than that, we have lots of pharmacies, a curandero and a psychic healer, if you are so inclined. The small hospital will hopefully be adequate at some point, but not yet. La Paz has fine hospitals, I have heard.

You will make friends here. Brush up on your Spanish, because the locals are your key to the real deal.

And this setting? Exquisite!

I Love Loreto.

nomana - 7-1-2016 at 08:24 PM

Loretana, great reply. Gracias. You sound right at home. I like that.

In the states I always went to multiple stores to get what I wanted, so no problem with that. I agree about talking with locals. It's really fun, a great way to learn the language and the best way to find out where to go for what in the area. I very much appreciate their kind hearts and patience. I haven't been to La Paz yet, but it's not far from Loreto, so I'm thinking I could go there for "big city" things.

The blue whales, scuba diving and beautiful geography are what interests me about Loreto. I also like that it's a fishing town. I think I could bear the heat. Is there a cool breeze from the sea? How about hurricanes and humidity?

Any suggestions about rentals? I've looked a little and all I see are very expensive vacation rentals, which I am not interested in. Any little homes set back into the mountains or hills a bit?

I'm happy to hear there are musicians and artists there. That is important. Are there art supply stores there? Oil painting, sculpting, welding...?

Someone in this forum posted about DAN. I think I'll look into getting something like that for emergencies.

Muchas gracias

nomana - 7-1-2016 at 08:26 PM

Gracias Bajahowodd

Loretana - 7-1-2016 at 10:40 PM

Speaking of artists, Nomana,

I forgot to credit local artist Alejandro Curiel for his beautiful murals in the Loreto Municipal Building, including the Cochimi Princess in my last post, and this one,

of local musicians. I know of some reasonable rentals, stay tuned!

David K - 7-2-2016 at 09:03 AM

What a cool painting of Queen Calafia!

Seeing as someone has volunteered me....

Howard - 7-2-2016 at 10:02 AM

Nomana, been in the RV up in Vancouver Island, Wahington and Oregon for the last month and will U2U you in the next couple of days. I don't think the people up here would know what a blue sky would look like! It sure is beautiful with all the trees and finally some lakes and rivers that have water in them.
I MISS BAJA!

nomana - 7-2-2016 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Nomana, been in the RV up in Vancouver Island, Wahington and Oregon for the last month and will U2U you in the next couple of days. I don't think the people up here would know what a blue sky would look like! It sure is beautiful with all the trees and finally some lakes and rivers that have water in them.
I MISS BAJA!

It is beautiful in the northwest. I think if I couldn't live in Baja, I would live there. Enjoy your travels.

Howard - 7-2-2016 at 06:56 PM

No mana, check your U2U, I sent you 3 messages.

micah202 - 7-2-2016 at 11:23 PM

...a great sunday market in Loreto...or is it on saturdays?

rhintransit - 7-3-2016 at 06:34 AM

these murals are a little known treasure of Loreto. when you are passing through, stop for a few at the municipal building in the square. walk to the back and admire the paintings which cover the walls there and up the staircase.

work of Loreto's premier young artist, Alejandro Curiel. you can also see his work at Dos Lobos gallery south of town. on the west side. parking lot looks like a storage lot for heavy equipment right now. the gallery is closed for the summer but will reopen in the fall.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What a cool painting of Queen Calafia!

nomana - 7-3-2016 at 01:01 PM

Yes, very cool about the paintings and Alejandro Curiel. I will definitely check out the municipal building murals and Dos Lobos gallery. Much appreciated!

Fishndad - 7-3-2016 at 01:05 PM

Saturday market is smaller and located in the plaza. Larger Sunday market north west of town in the Mira mar region on the hill

nomana - 7-5-2016 at 11:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fishndad  
Saturday market is smaller and located in the plaza. Larger Sunday market north west of town in the Mira mar region on the hill

That sounds fun. I would love to go to a local market on a regular basis. It was one of my favorite things about Europe.