BajaNomad

renting in northern baja

LukeJobbins - 7-2-2016 at 02:51 PM

I have been thinking more and more about renting a house or apartment or trailer or whatever somewhere in northern baja and am looking for opinions or advice. I am going to school and also working pretty sparsely so i tend to have pretty good gaps to run south and after a million camping trips with my car completely loaded up and unloading and rearranging things just to pull out a stove and cook lunch, I am now considering renting a place to call base camp and relax for a few days or weeks at a time.

Since rules are only really enforced here and there, ideally I would like to find a place where I could pay cash to a landlord and avoid all the visa foreign resident stuff. I was looking for any input from people who unofficially rent or own homes down there or know much about americans living in baja. I live pretty basic and low-key so Im not looking for a super nice house and honestly would be satisfied with a shack on a little piece of land away from craziness.

I am leaning more towards san quintin or maybe a tad bit north right now. I like the area and there are some good waves and fishing there. I like to fish and surf so to be able to have a tiny trailer or apartment or whatever to keep stuff in and live out of would be awesome.

Thanks for any help or input.

willardguy - 7-2-2016 at 02:59 PM

sounds like a good plan! thousands live full time here with nothing but an FMM, truth be told, many with nothing.
don't know about san quintin but many cheap rentals in the TJ/Ensenada corridor

fishbuck - 7-2-2016 at 03:31 PM

Maybe 1 of the trailers at Cielito Lindo is for rent.
San Quintin has cheap places to rent and expats to help with the process. Check at the bar. Someone will now something.

woody with a view - 7-2-2016 at 04:25 PM

Hey Luke you can find exactly what you need all along the corridor. Only limitation is security while you're gone. check out Richard a 4 casas. i know he always has cheap trailers to rent by the year.

Bajahowodd - 7-2-2016 at 04:29 PM

What exactly do you mean about avoiding "all the visa foreign resident stuff"? Do you not know that you need the FMM Visa to travel there? Just about $20 bucks and well worth the piece of mind. Good for 180 days and renewable.

LukeJobbins - 7-2-2016 at 05:11 PM

I have an fmm for 180 days but I talked to a government official last trip down there and he told me in order to legally rent a place a person must have proper documentation from the government allowing a foreigner to reside in Mexico. The exception is if the person renting out their property is renting it as vacation property(which most is not because it is a pain and just one more fee for owners to deal with). The official did hint strongly that no one is really going to check or care about me renting a place, which is what i was already assuming but just wanted others opinions on having property without anything official documentation wise. thanks everyone

woody with a view - 7-2-2016 at 08:45 PM

Just be semi legal. It's a two way street. Millions of Mexicans would agree!

Don't over think it.

MMc - 7-2-2016 at 08:59 PM

The less you do to be legit, the more likely, you are to be ripped off. The paperwork is a hassle, but cheaper then walking away from your stuff.
Never invest then you are willing to walk away from!

willardguy - 7-2-2016 at 09:07 PM

how "legit"do you have to be to RENT a place to stash your chit and kick back in occasionally...an FMM is ALL thats required, along with a handshake agreement with an honest landlord ;)

Bajahowodd - 7-3-2016 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
how "legit"do you have to be to RENT a place to stash your chit and kick back in occasionally...an FMM is ALL thats required, along with a handshake agreement with an honest landlord ;)

This!

bajaguy - 7-5-2016 at 02:58 PM

And while you are avoiding all of the "legit" stuff, why don't you also avoid your Mexican auto insurance, heck, I mean what could go wrong??

sancho - 7-5-2016 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
And while you are avoiding all of the "legit" stuff, why don't you also avoid your Mexican auto insurance, heck, I mean what could go wrong??

I think we're reaching a bit here, most of us try to abide by the
rules of the host Country of Mex, but comparing a person renting
with an fmm, to driving without Mex Auto Ins is unreasonable

David K - 7-5-2016 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
I have an fmm for 180 days but I talked to a government official last trip down there and he told me in order to legally rent a place a person must have proper documentation from the government allowing a foreigner to reside in Mexico. The exception is if the person renting out their property is renting it as vacation property(which most is not because it is a pain and just one more fee for owners to deal with). The official did hint strongly that no one is really going to check or care about me renting a place, which is what i was already assuming but just wanted others opinions on having property without anything official documentation wise. thanks everyone

Good for you to talk to a government official rather than trust the Internet 100%.

Here's my understanding... and many will say it is wrong, lol!>>>
The FMM is the 'Tourist Card' (similar to a visa in other countries) to give legal status to those vacationing in Mexico. I think it has zero recognition as legal status for real estate and personal property rights if you change from being a tourist on vacation to being a property renter or owner of a place over an extended period... and allowing you to leave any personal property in Mexico when you return north.

willardguy - 7-5-2016 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

I think we're reaching a bit here, most of us try to abide by the
rules of the host Country of Mex, but comparing a person renting
with an fmm, to driving without Mex Auto Ins is unreasonable

of course! :rolleyes:

Hook - 7-6-2016 at 08:19 AM

The governmental official seems to be describing the path to a Residente Temporal permit. No need for that, IMO, especially in that corridor you are looking. Just get an FMM, Mex liability auto insurance (assuming you can afford your own repairs, in case of an accident) and you should be good to go.

BajaBlanca - 7-6-2016 at 01:27 PM

FMM and car insurance.

rent in a couple places until you find your neck of the woods.

it is a good idea to be near where someone can keep an eye on your trailer or pad. chances are it WILL get broken into otherwise.

have fun and keep in touch so we know how it all pans out!