BajaNomad

Crossing border with paint

Fishndad - 7-4-2016 at 08:02 AM

Anyone have experience with crossing the border with a gallon of paint? Wanting to bring down a gallon of polyurethane topside paint for my boat in Loreto. Crossing in Tecate.

Udo - 7-4-2016 at 08:09 AM

I have crossed with 5 one gallon buckets in full view, and was not stopped.

TedZark - 7-5-2016 at 01:56 PM

Three times with a five gallon container of paint - never stopped, so no problem.

Borregoman - 7-11-2016 at 10:10 AM

I've brought down 5 gallon buckets in plan view in the declare line with no issues.

Bob and Susan - 7-11-2016 at 02:29 PM

I can see topside paint for a boat...but...

I bought tubs of Sherman williams house paint at Costco in Ensenada for 380pesos for 5 gallons...
that's $21.72usa out the door or $4.35usa a gallon...

why haul paint down

mtgoat666 - 7-11-2016 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fishndad  
Anyone have experience with crossing the border with a gallon of paint? Wanting to bring down a gallon of polyurethane topside paint for my boat in Loreto. Crossing in Tecate.

Inspectors would probably not even glance at a 1 gal can o paint

You can buy "better" paints in mexico. The usa has phased-out the really good and toxic paints, so if you want good oil-based and lots of stinky vocs, buy your paint in mexico.

Bajahowodd - 7-11-2016 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Fishndad  

Inspectors would probably not even glance at a 1 gal can o paint

You can buy "better" paints in mexico. The usa has phased-out the really good and toxic paints, so if you want good oil-based and lots of stinky vocs, buy your paint in mexico.

So true. When traveling S/B there is no reason to be carrying anything that you can buy SOB. So many stores to choose from, especially in Ensenada. Gives you more room for other stuff.

Fishndad - 7-11-2016 at 07:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. I agree, if it wasn't boat paint I would definitely buy it in Ensenada.