BajaNomad

Telcel America

weebray - 7-6-2016 at 02:16 PM

Anyone out there that has used Telcel's 30 day plan to use your cell phone in the US? Did it affect your existing plan? Can you set it up online?

weebray - 7-6-2016 at 05:53 PM

So I went down to Telcel and talked to their crack team. They told me that my "Sinlimitas" plan for 100 pesos a mo. is good for unlimited calling for one month in Canada, the US and Mexico. I can travel anywhere in those three countries and make and receive calls. If this sounds too good to be true, I agree. Next week I will test the veracity of their advice.

bajario - 7-7-2016 at 05:55 AM

My Father was just telling me about this plan he has. I was blown away by it. Thought there had to be more to the story.

Sandlefoot - 7-7-2016 at 06:10 AM

I think any calls received with be billed as international calls to the one calling you.....I know it is an "assumption"!!!

8knots - 7-7-2016 at 01:52 PM

I happily use my Sin limitas in Mexico. It allows me 'free' calling to the US every evening to talk with my wife and to call others as needed. It has been a great plan. I just returned from 9 days in the US and my phone showed either no service or international roaming. If someone else finds they have no problem while in the US calling other US numbers with this plan please let us know.

Paulclark - 7-7-2016 at 05:13 PM

I have been in Canada since May 20 and use my Telcel phone freely. Last month my Mexican bill came to about $1,000 pesos, while my Canadian cell which I use less of cost me $180 CDN.

The plan is as advertised, and they did text me when I started using it in Canada saying use it like you are in Mexico, without additional charge.

weebray - 7-7-2016 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
I just returned from 9 days in the US and my phone showed either no service or international roaming. If someone else finds they have no problem while in the US calling other US numbers with this plan please let us know.

Am I correct that you were unable to use your phone while in the US?

bajagrouper - 7-7-2016 at 07:38 PM

I had the plan in Mexico, called the USA and back in the USA used it until the 30 days ran out, wish I could pre buy for the months in am in the USA...Best hundred pesos I ever spent...

Paulclark - 7-7-2016 at 10:47 PM

I did not stop in the US ---flew right over it, but my assumption would be that it would be the same in the US. MY bill has a list over well over 100 calls initiated in Canada for no charge
or occasionally a charge of .01. I am impressed -- competition works.

bajalinda - 7-30-2016 at 02:03 PM

I signed up for the Sin Limites plan at the end of June and so far it's been great. I'm up in the US right now and it's working like a charm up here. I can make calls in the US to another US number with no problem. My balance stays the same - no extra charge.

My one complaint with the plan is that if you do not renew the plan right on schedule on the day it expires or a day or 2 ahead, your account will be frozen and you have to go to a Telcel office to re-activate the account. I waited until about 2 days after the 25 days ran out to send the text to keep the plan going....and the text wouldn't go through. So I had to get it all figured out again at the Telcel office.

Also I would love to be able to simply pay 400 pesos to be good for 100 days and not have to worry about renewing so often. However, the Telcel agent (at the 264 number) told me not to do that because it would confuse the system and think I was trying to switch to another plan....or some such thing, but that was the gist of it.

Otherwise, it's working as described and advertised.

wiltonh - 7-30-2016 at 05:30 PM

If you have a MiTelcel account, can you just do it via the internet?

I have done that with my previous account and it worked great.

bajalinda - 8-1-2016 at 07:59 AM

Yes, I could probably handle it with a MiTelcel account. I just have a mental block about dealing with Telcel - seems like it's always a hassle. Will work on the MiTelcel option - on my list of things to do!

vandy - 8-1-2016 at 08:29 AM

The last time I was in the US, I brought a few 200 peso Telcel cards with me.
I couldn't get my account to accept them by dialing the number.

How do you recharge your account while in the US?
I really don't like to give them my credit card...

meme - 8-1-2016 at 08:56 AM

I have this Telcel plan as do several of my friends & it works good with no extra charges in U.S or Canada. Yes I do not like that I cannot pay it ahead either. Telcel guy at store says "nope cannot do it"!

Paulclark - 8-1-2016 at 09:15 AM

I pay on line --- register at Mitelcel and pay with a credit card. The times I have had problems I dial *111 and ask for an English speaking operator.
It works great.

wiltonh - 8-1-2016 at 05:23 PM

If you do not want to us your credit card with Telcel, try Pinzoo.

In the past every time you put money on your account through Mitelcel, they gave you some free internet.

When you use Pinzoo, you do not get all the free stuff. I believe that is part of how they make their money.

I have used both and internet is often more important to me than voice minutes. That is why I now use Mitelcel.

wiltonh - 8-1-2016 at 05:26 PM

We were told that Telcel is working on an English Mitelcel but so far I have not found it.

I just log in using the Chrome browser and tell it to translate the page. It comes out good enough for me.

Udo - 8-1-2016 at 05:27 PM

One thing to be aware of in the plan...TELCEL charges for your voice mail minutes and your VM call.

Last months it was $12.00 USD.

bajadock - 8-1-2016 at 06:16 PM

I'm new to Telcel sin limite as of June this year. Luvit and use mitelcel.com plus its chat for recharge and help.

One more add and published this last week is forwarding your Telcel phone to your US phone # via Google Voice.
a) Gives easier access to you instead of the 011-52-1-XXX-XXX-XXXX thrill.
b) as it forwards to Google Voice mail(Free) eliminates Telcel voice mail.

Here is the how to link: Telcel forward to Google Voice

[Edited on 8-2-2016 by bajadock]

bajalinda - 8-2-2016 at 08:15 AM

vandy - I'll be back in Baja before I have to renew, so I won't have to deal with recharging the account while I'm up here this time. I don't like the idea of giving Telcel my credit card either, but it seems a MiTelcel account would be the way to recharge if you're in the US or Canada.

Udo - thanks for that bit of info about voice mail - of course, they don't tell you that when you sign up.

Udo - 8-2-2016 at 01:02 PM

Of course they don't!

And this month I have another couple of hundred Pesos of some charges (I don't know what yet, because I can not retrieve my bill). It seems I have a $500 Peso limit on my account, and other than using my phone for looking up a business las month, I have not used my allowed data, but I received a notice a week ago that I have reached my data limit.
So somehow I used about $200+ Pesos in something (not my voice mail), and I won't find out until TELCEL sends me the bill in a few days.

Quote: Originally posted by bajalinda  

Udo - thanks for that bit of info about voice mail - of course, they don't tell you that when you sign up.

wiltonh - 8-3-2016 at 10:57 AM

Last fall when we got to Baja the only internet we had for the first few days was through the cell phone. We have two cell phones and two tablets which turn on while charging at night.

One of the Android tablets decided to do a system update even through I had just done one before we left. It used 90% of my plan data in one night without ever asking me if I want to update.

I am now much more careful about shutting of the sharing when it is not really needed.

We had to use the data from my wife's phone for the rest of that week. It was a T-Mobile plan and the next month they doubled the data for no extra cost so we never came close to the maximum again.

bajalinda - 8-15-2016 at 05:26 PM

Well....Telcel does it again - just found out that the 25 day plan has been reduced to 23 days. This is hardly worth it for me any more - I may just drop the whole thing.

meme - 8-16-2016 at 10:03 PM

The Telcel plan is 200 pesos now for 25 days, 300 pesos for 30 days & 500 pesos for 50 days. I just renewed mine last Friday at the Telcel store in person & the girl said "all new plan"!