JZ - 7-15-2016 at 06:18 PM

What you got.

TMW - 7-15-2016 at 06:27 PM

La Paz
Loreto
LA Bay
San Felipe
Ensenada

close on the list are Mulege and San Ignacio.

willardguy - 7-15-2016 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
What you got.

:lol: which month?

David K - 7-15-2016 at 06:42 PM

Well, it is not cast in stone, but I like visiting these as well as other mission towns...

San Ignacio
Loreto
Mulegé
La Paz
El Rosario

Not a town, but Alfonsina's is a popular stop at meal time.

DENNIS - 7-15-2016 at 06:59 PM

I like Tecate.

Top5

Patrick21 - 7-15-2016 at 08:23 PM

Ensenada
La Paz
Guerrero Negro
San Quentin
San Juanico

bajadogs - 7-15-2016 at 09:06 PM

Ensenada
Mulege
San Felipe
Tecate
La Paz

many others

yellowklr - 7-15-2016 at 09:31 PM

OK i can't help myself....Guerrero Negro and El Rosario??? WTF??
Is this a serious list?

CABO,La Paz,Mulege,Loreto and Mulege

JC43 - 7-15-2016 at 10:11 PM

I like the answer from Dennis the most. Reason why?
Such a list is ridiculous! The one who likes a big City, lets say Los Cabos(either one) and its nightlife and exiting possibilities of shopping, will not like the tranquility life in Mulege of San Juanico or, or....
That is comparing apples to pears.
That`s why I am voting for Corona. Tecate. Dos XX. Don Julio. Mescal.
In no particular order.

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2016 at 02:14 AM

Asuncion
BOLA
San Ignacio
Guerrero Negro
Loreto

chuckie - 7-16-2016 at 05:00 AM

Was Mulege, now Ascuncion

BajaBlanca - 7-16-2016 at 06:51 AM

GNegro has the whales, perhaps this is the reasoning.

El Rosario is Baja history.

My list: La Bocana, La Paz when it is not summer, Los Barriles, Loreto and Bahia Asuncion.

Hard to limit to 5 since I love san Ignacio/Todos Santos as well.

mtgoat666 - 7-16-2016 at 07:04 AM

Why limit the list to 5? Expand your horizons!

tecate
Ensenada
San Ignacio
La Paz
Tijuana
Catavina
San Diego
La Mesa
Julian
Imperial Beach
(Yes, so cal fits MY definition of Baja vs Alta CA :P)

[Edited on 7-16-2016 by mtgoat666]

chuckie - 7-16-2016 at 07:49 AM

Why not throw in Detroit, Goatley?

AKgringo - 7-16-2016 at 07:54 AM

I would just shuffle Blanca's list, with Los Barriles at the top. I am a small town type of guy, and it is as close as I need to be to an airport or city amenities.

Disclaimer; I have never been there in the summer.

shari - 7-16-2016 at 08:04 AM

Hmmm...the question says TOWNS not cities...so here are mine
of course Bahia Asuncion tops my chart,
then Comondu...(San miguel de...)
Sta. Rosalillita
San Ignacio
Guerrero Negro

Udo - 7-16-2016 at 09:18 AM

San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, La Paz, Bahia Asunción, Ensenada

Lee - 7-16-2016 at 10:16 AM

Guerrero Negro
El Triunfo
El Pescadero
Cabo
San Jose

JZ - 7-16-2016 at 02:24 PM

50% of our time at a place is spent on the water or riding dirt roads, so that impacts my picks. San Carlos on the mainland is tops on the Sea of Cortez by a very wide margin.

Other than that I'll go:

Bay of LA
Loreto
La Paz
Santa Rosalia
Ensenada

[Edited on 7-16-2016 by JZ]

bajabuddha - 7-16-2016 at 02:56 PM

JZ, i'm with you about 'being out of towns' more than in. Not being a lover of Big City crunch, and living in small communities since 1995, all of the aboves mentioned over 'town' size are nixed.

Mainland, I prefer Kino Viejo over San Carlos 10x1 due to the gringo-friendly aspect of SC and Kino Nuevo....

Baja is definitely Mulege,
Loreto (and nothing south of)
Santa Rosalia (for REAL Mexican commerce and non-turista trappings)
San Ignacio
...... did I mention Mulege?
oh, and Bahia LA just for the views and geologic splendor, not to mention the fishing.

Then there are a half-dozen or so little burgs along the way that just 'feel right'..... and some don't. I miss 'em all.

In no particular order.....

Howard - 7-16-2016 at 03:32 PM

Ojo de Liebre (Wintertime for the whales)
Bahia Concepcion
Loreto
Los Barrilles
San Ignacio

and last but not least, if it counts is,
Angels Camp, KM 73

JZ - 7-16-2016 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Mainland, I prefer Kino Viejo over San Carlos 10x1 due to the gringo-friendly aspect of SC and Kino Nuevo....

Hahahahaha.... Kino isn't in the same zip code as SC is a dozen ways.

Kino town is avg at best and the off shore anchorages are complete dog poop compared to SC.

Come on man, you are better than that.

[Edited on 7-16-2016 by JZ]

bajabuddha - 7-16-2016 at 04:23 PM

Talkin' bout the towns, my friend. Kino Viejo compared to Nuevo is MEXICAN. San Carlos (TOWN) was created for hueros.

You did ask for towns, didn't you?
:coolup:

[Edited on 7-16-2016 by bajabuddha]

willardguy - 7-16-2016 at 04:27 PM

BAJA towns...the way I read it;)

bajabuddha - 7-16-2016 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
BAJA towns...the way I read it;)

......Was answering his own post, the way I read it..... and did name my Baja towns, but thanx just the same. :rolleyes:

Barry A. - 7-16-2016 at 04:36 PM

La Paz
Mulege
Santa Rosalia
San Ignacio
Loreto

and close seconds:
Todos Santos
Mexicali
Catavina
San Vincente
El Triunfo
Los Barriles

Bajahowodd - 7-16-2016 at 04:39 PM

I am actually surprised at how many folks had Guerrero Negro on their list. Sure, we have stayed there many times when going to see the whales. But it was the whales, and not the town. The town is a dusty, noisy place that has very few decent restaurants.

When we are headed further South on a non-whale trip, we just pass it by.

I like San Quintin for Jardines. I like Santa Rosalia for the El Morro hotel and the El Muelle restaurant. I like Loreto for many reasons, and I think that San Jose is the best part of Cabo

willardguy - 7-16-2016 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
I am actually surprised at how many folks had Guerrero Negro on their list. Sure, we have stayed there many times when going to see the whales. But it was the whales, and not the town. The town is a dusty, noisy place that has very few decent restaurants.

When we are headed further South on a non-whale trip, we just pass it by.

I like San Quintin for Jardines. I like Santa Rosalia for the El Morro hotel and the El Muelle restaurant. I like Loreto for many reasons, and I think that San Jose is the best part of Cabo

im not surprised at all, traveling around the backstreets of GN I was surprised by what a quaint clean town it is.......different strokes I suppose

BajaMama - 7-18-2016 at 08:37 AM

San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto. Jesus Maria.

David K - 7-18-2016 at 08:57 AM

Maybe a short explanation of what that town has that puts it on your list?

I think it may open up some awareness?

For example, BajaMama, why Jesus María? The town at the junction to Laguna Manuela, yes? Bought ice there once, and gasoline and lunch (Carmelita's van) a couple times.

From Bob H:

chuckie - 7-18-2016 at 09:23 AM

DK? I think folks can pick whatever they want without your help...I know you feel that the earth revolves around you...But GEEZO...

Udo - 7-18-2016 at 09:23 AM

Perhaps that is a good idea of why one picked the municipality.

chuckie - 7-18-2016 at 09:26 AM

What is? DK sticking his nose in?

KurtG - 7-18-2016 at 09:29 AM

It is really a tough choice and for me depends on if it is a relatively short visit, say less than a couple of weeks, or a longer time frame such as several months. For shorter visits I enjoy, in no particular order, La Paz, Loreto, Ensenada, Comondu, San Ignacio. For longer stays it has been Mulege for me and family since I lived there with my two very young children in the mid-70's. Back then for some reason I didn't feel Loreto was a very friendly town to outsiders but now it has a totally different feel and I think I could be happy there.

I would have listed San Jose Del Cabo and Todos Santos up to the mid-90's but too crowded for me these days.

As to Guerrero Negro, the best thing about the town is the people there. I have found them to be very nice and helpful. Not being a tourist town, except in whale season, it has a different feel and I like it. I like to ride the causeway through the wetlands out to the old salt loading wharf, great scenery and jillions of birds depending on time of year.

Udo - 7-18-2016 at 09:33 AM

San Ignacio: History, the people, date palms, date pie (pye in Spanish), the Mission.

Santa Rosalia: Also history, the bakery, the copper church, the municipality looks like New Orleans

La Paz: Big city that feels like a little municipality, the gorgeous Malecón, the people, the restaurants.

Bahia Asunción: The relaxing solitude, the fishing, the surf, the islands, Shari.

Ensenada: Although a big city (it feels bigger than La Paz), there is just so much to do. Always something going on, the Valle De Guadalupe for the wines and restaurants. El Guerrerense (they are now opening a restaurant). Did I mention the food?

Close 6th: Mulege...the Orchard.

SFandH - 7-18-2016 at 09:45 AM

Jesus Maria has a well placed PEMEX.

I've been reading this thread wondering what to say. The fact is I don't have 5 favorite towns. I like beaches and bays.

Mulege is a nice little town. It has almost everything you need and is uncharacteristically tidy. The river oasis environment is great. But the best part is proximity to Bahia Concepcion.

For me it used to be beaches and surfboards, now it's beaches and my boat. Gotta be on/in the water. Nothing I like better than pulling my boat up on the beach of Isla Pitaya or Isla Coyote and swimming in the crystal clear water. The towns are useful for supplies.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by SFandH]

David K - 7-18-2016 at 12:53 PM

Chuckie, others get it... I am just suggesting it might be helpful or interesting to hear the reasons why a town makes the list. Nothing negative was in my thinking.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by David K]

woody with a view - 7-18-2016 at 01:46 PM

My fave towns are fish camps!:light:

TMW - 7-18-2016 at 02:51 PM

I love La Paz for the Malecon and all the beautiful people walking, jogging and running up and down it. Great hotels and places to eat too. The most beautiful scene I've seen was Christmas 1989 Hotel Los Arcos third floor balcony over looking the bay. All the sail boats had Christmas lights lit up. A beautiful scene with a gentle breeze and mild weather.

Loreto has a nice Malecon too just not as many people on it, at least when I've been there. Hotels and restaurants first class. Lots of places to explore nearby.

LA Bay is just a nice quite place to lay back or fool around in. Go for an off road run. Go fishing. etc etc etc.

San felipe has good restaurants and bars and off-road racing and also many places to off road to. Fishing as well. Cheap hotels too. Fish tacos. Petes camp for food and drinks and a shower.

Ensenada, nothing like contingency day for the Baja 500 and 1000 races. Really good hotels and restaurants. Lots of taco stands. Hussongs and Pappas and Beer for the more routy crowd. The best margarita ever is at the bar in the Corona hotel. Big storess to shop at and much more.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by TMW]

PaulW - 7-18-2016 at 06:31 PM

TMW
I agree with your choices

Lee - 7-18-2016 at 08:47 PM

I'm waiting for someone to write Catavina is a great town.

Jesus Maria? Yeah if we have a favorite Pemex.

Guess I'm voting Pemex in El Rosario. You know the one.

wessongroup - 7-19-2016 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for the pics and interesting discussion

I'm with Woody .. fish camps

As a stoping point for food and beverage heading south
... Ensenada :):)

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by wessongroup]

BajaRun - 7-19-2016 at 09:41 AM

Loreto
Punto Chivato
La Mision
BOLA
Laguna Hills

toronja - 7-19-2016 at 10:23 AM

I have a soft spot for some of the mountain villages down south, Santiago and San Bartolo in particular.
El Triunfo for the character and history.
I love the setting and isolation of Catavina.
And, of course, Bahia Asuncion always tops the list.

I would also like to see more of La Bocana on a day when I don't have a stingray barb in my foot.