BajaNomad

East Cape December-January rental wanted

motoged - 7-18-2016 at 07:12 PM

Nomads,
I am planning my winter in Baja and am looking for an affordable rental for one person for all December and first half of January in the general area of Los Barriles.

I have a tentative commitment to help a friend out from mid-January to mid/late March in another part of Baja, but would like to spend the Dec-Jan period on the east cape.

My needs are simple: basic kitchen, bed, and a bathroom that works.
My knees would prefer ground level or not a lot of steps. I have transportation and don't need to be "in town"...

I am familiar with the area and would consider anything between Santiago, Los Barriles/Buena Vista, and San Bartolo.

Please U2U me with any tips on places... gracias .

P.S. If my Feb-March commitment gets cancelled (sure
hope not !), I would want to stay at the east cape location until end of March.

AKgringo - 7-18-2016 at 07:55 PM

I have an older motor home in northern CA, and for the last couple of years, I have been playing with the idea of taking it to the Los Barriles area. It would be a one way trip, and would be in storage when I go north.

Could you see yourself camped out in an RV park? If so, the timing could be just about perfect. My target months are October through late November, with a possible spring trip in April (before and after ski season).

Another option would be placing an add on Craigslist to see if someone in Baja Sur wants to do a house swap so they can see what a winter in Kamloops is like!

windgrrl - 7-19-2016 at 04:32 AM

Hi - reasonable rentals are scarce in the area and are often found by by word of mouth. Try searching the LB real estate and rentals on-line, then negotiating a long term price. We rent through
http://www.wolf-pm-rentals.com/VACATION_RENTALS/page_2210010...

Or post on the BPE.

Cheerio,
W

motoged - 7-19-2016 at 09:19 AM

WG,
Thanks for the leads...the Wolf site is outta my budget range...nice places, though. I am watching BPE and will post my request there...hoping that "word of mouth" may happen here :saint:

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
Hi - reasonable rentals are scarce in the area and are often found by by word of mouth. Try searching the LB real estate and rentals on-line, then negotiating a long term price. We rent through
http://www.wolf-pm-rentals.com/VACATION_RENTALS/page_2210010...

Or post on the BPE.

Cheerio,
W

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by motoged]

toronja - 7-19-2016 at 10:26 AM

Check the Baja Pony Express, Ged. You might find rentals in La Ribera to be a little more affordable - we really like it there.

Bajahowodd - 7-19-2016 at 04:34 PM

Never a big fan of Los Barriles per se, but if you stay in the area, you absolutely need to have a meal at Buen Provecho in San Bartolo. Two lovely women operate the place and their food is to die for.

motoged - 7-19-2016 at 06:57 PM

I consider the "Los Barilles area" to range from Santiago-La Riberra-Buena Vista-San Bartolo....

Mulege has always been dear to my heart and is a location I am also considering for Dec-Jan...before I move to another town to help a friend for Jan-Feb-March....

So looking for a simple abode for my first 6 weeks....in east cape area or Mulege.

Thanks for all the tips so far. :saint:

windgrrl - 7-19-2016 at 09:15 PM

It's out of our price range, too, but far cheaper and more effective than therapy!

A local I know searches for winter rentals for seasonal employees each year and it has become much more difficult to find an inexpensive place because of the rise in popularity of the area. He does have to ask around for quite a while to find basic places with reasonable prices. The least expensive option is tenting in Martin Verdugos, it's okay and near to everything, with primitive laundry and showers, but can be noisy and close. But at a little over $300 per month, it's probably the least expensive option besides beach camping at North Beach, with no facilities, for free! NB is beautiful, but also crowded in the winter.

Good luck with your search...and good idea to try and secure a place now.
W

motoged - 7-19-2016 at 09:26 PM

WG,
Thanks again....