http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

John M

Udo - 7-30-2016 at 05:19 PM

Very comprehensive!

Will keep the information for future use.:bounce:

Barry A. - 7-30-2016 at 05:36 PM

Excellent!!! Many thanks, JohnM.

Whale-ista - 7-30-2016 at 05:47 PM

Agreed- good, comprehensive research & lots of new terminology/concepts to digest.

One note: It was published Nov. 2014, and they describe an April test, so this is over 2 years old.

Also, the newest BFG-AT KO2 was not available for their testing:

"Although we would have like to have tested BFG’s newest AT, the KO2, it was not available at the time of testing in early April. We will provide a full review of that tire in the coming months after we get a chance to put the prerequisite miles on a set. Short term testing was conducted in Baja and reported in the Winter issue of Overland Journal."

AKgringo - 7-30-2016 at 06:12 PM

Interesting comparisons, and I was looking at the Coopers when I bought my most recent set of Wranglers (Armortrac). Wranglers are not the tire I would choose if I lived in San Diego or SOB, but I spend much more time driving on frozen roads than I do in the dessert, and they keep me on the road pretty well.

David K - 7-30-2016 at 06:28 PM

I have run Coopers many miles... on my three Tacomas.

I liked the Discoverer ATRs (good all around truck tire)
I disliked the Discoverer STTs (too noisy on highway, poor in sand)
The Pep Boys Definity Dakotas are made by Cooper, as well. Inexpensive, but short life.

They didn't test my current tire, and the second time using them, Hankook Dynapro ATM. Inexpensive and works great in all conditions: highway quiet, sand, snow, mud, rocks.

I disagree with ...

John M - 7-30-2016 at 07:23 PM

The two year old article describes great wear/tire life for the General AT2.

I had a set on my Tacoma about the time the test was done, they claim the tire had a 60,000 mile expectancy. I got 35,000. Due to other circumstances I decided not to look into the "mileage guarantee."

John

Hankook, why not tested?

AKgringo - 7-30-2016 at 07:55 PM

One of my Alaska based Kia's now has Hankook winter tires on it (not ATM's). I have not put enough miles on them under enough situations to give a comprehensive evaluation, but I like them.

I like them better than the older BFG All Terrains, Firestone Destination, or Nokia winter tires that I have also run.

BooJumMan - 7-31-2016 at 06:42 PM

Slightly outdated for sure.

Also, while Coopers are great tires (I've never owned a set, but have friends who really like them), Expedition Portal seems to have some sort of sponsorship through them and might have a slight bias.