BajaNomad

SPOT messenger alternative

dizzyspots - 8-5-2016 at 03:13 PM

So....I cancelled my SPOT subscription after almost 8 years...another rate increase and lack of customer service or retention efforts...when I called to cancel...I spoke to 3 different reps...all had an answer of some sort...not a single rep asked if they could do anything to keep me as a customer...
Any other former SPOT users find an alternative?

AKgringo - 8-5-2016 at 03:27 PM

Did you get a written or electronic confirmation that your account is closed?

One of the reasons I did not start an account with them is because of reviews from unhappy customers. Several of them stated that after cancelling service, Spot dinged their credit card for a renewal anyway. I would not trust a phone cancellation.

Sorry I can not offer another service recommendation.

bill erhardt - 8-5-2016 at 04:40 PM

I subscribe to a satellite phone service. Initially Iridium, and in recent years Inmarsat.
Friends who have moved on from SPOT but don't want to spring for a sat. phone have switched to DeLorme, a Garmin product. I routinely receive DeLorme messages which provide locations and coordinates on a map, and also an opportunity to communicate by email.

David K - 8-5-2016 at 04:53 PM

DeLorme 'In Reach'
Allows you to exchange short text messages in addition to SOS/ help. Uses better maps to show where you are to those on your list.
http://delorme.com/
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by David K]

Bob and Susan - 8-5-2016 at 05:44 PM

I got this service this year and I love it...
$150 for the part and $150 a year to use it

tracking up and down baja...this weekend susan was waiting at the ramp for me when I returned...amazing service

I know where my boat is all the time...no more worrying

well worth the money...at least for me

spott.jpg - 137kB

dtbushpilot - 8-5-2016 at 05:51 PM

I have the Delorme inreach, I like it.

gator - 8-5-2016 at 06:13 PM

I've been using the delorme inreach for about a year now. So far I'm happy with the service.

jbcoug - 8-5-2016 at 06:20 PM

I've used the Delorme for two years now on two trips from WA to Cabo and back. Has worked great, creates an online hstory of where you are and where you've been. My wife appreciates it and David K has followed it. It's handy for sending short texts or prescripted messages.

ehall - 8-5-2016 at 07:03 PM

De lorme has worked great the last couple years. Nice to have 2 way communication if you need it.

TMW - 8-5-2016 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
DeLorme 'In Reach'
Allows you to exchange short text messages in addition to SOS/ help. Uses better maps to show where you are to those on your list.

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by David K]

DK what kind of maps does it show. Spot shows both a road type map and a satellite image which I assumed was from Google Earth. That's what it looks like anyway, what is better than that?

David K - 8-5-2016 at 08:07 PM

It's a real nice topo map. I have posted examples of it from Ed's track on our Pole Line Road trip. Spot just uses Google Earth as you know.

ehall - 8-6-2016 at 06:34 AM

The Delorme will change from a topo map to Google earth if you zoom in enough.

KurtG - 8-6-2016 at 08:27 AM

I really like the Delorme but the cost is quite a bit more. I have the original Spot and am unhappy about being forced to pay a higher fee this year but it still seems to be the most for the money. Since I so often motorcycle solo it is worth it to give my family a little reassurance that I am still alive and on the move. Never used the 911 function and hope not to but I like having it just in case.

I was just the shuttle driver for a group of friends who did the Trans-Sierra Trail from Sequoia to Whitney Portal where I picked them up. They had the Delorme and I was impressed with it's ability and it worked well for them to send me text messages along the way. Wish it were a little less expensive.

David K - 8-6-2016 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
DeLorme 'In Reach'

DK what kind of maps does it show. Spot shows both a road type map and a satellite image which I assumed was from Google Earth. That's what it looks like anyway, what is better than that?

The DeLoreme In Reach maps are most enjoyable to view and switch from Satellite (Aerial) to Topo.
Here is a sample, at Puertecitos:

Puertecitos Topo.jpg - 172kB Puertecitos GoogleEarth.jpg - 192kB

PaulW - 8-6-2016 at 12:23 PM

Spot has good images very similar to the InReach above. IMO neither look like Google earth and have better detail. I guess there are other sources for sat mapping.

Gulliver - 8-7-2016 at 06:39 AM

The extra cost of the Delome is more than I can justify. My only reason for having a tracker is so that Barbara will not worry when I'm running late getting back to Mulege from wandering over to the coast on the bike. I tend to ride too fast heading for the barn so as to not worry her when the sun is getting low. Much more danger from zooming than from any other risk.

David K - 8-7-2016 at 06:49 AM

The two-way communicating on the InReach device is probably the reason for the higher cost.

On the map question, yes they both can show Google Earth views that are the same. But, as I mentioned before, the InReach topo map is more enhanced than the Spot's.

Spot's then InReach topo maps of the same place:

Puertecitos GoogleMaps.jpg - 144kB Puertecitos Topo.jpg - 172kB

Bob and Susan - 8-7-2016 at 08:06 AM

those pictures look "old style"

the spot uses google earth too///sat view with labels way better

it identifies businesses too

for the $$$ I think spot has it beat...
if you need messages get a sat phone

most of the cities have cell service for data and telephone calls

ehall - 8-7-2016 at 10:41 AM

Haha. Competition is good. Keeps the price of both down.

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2016 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
those pictures look "old style"

the spot uses google earth too///sat view with labels way better

it identifies businesses too

for the $$$ I think spot has it beat...
if you need messages get a sat phone

most of the cities have cell service for data and telephone calls

Or just accept wilderness for what it is, an opportunity to be unplugged. If it's your time to die, then it's your time to die. Be a man and do it w/o texting your demise!
Man up! Put down your electronic security blanket!

David K - 8-7-2016 at 11:02 AM

Wow, I agree with Mr. Goat again!

TMW - 8-7-2016 at 11:02 AM

I have a Spot and the Spot satellite phone. I like the spot messenger and it does what I want it to. That is to inform those I send a signal to to know where I'm at. I've never used the help or SOS.

The satellite phone is a different story. It is a very spotty device (no pun intended). I've been in very open areas and had trouble getting a signal to call out. Turn and walk 3 feet it's OK, walk another foot and it out again. Probably the best it worked was when I called David K from Visita San Isidoro, it worked perfect. At Campo Rene near Punta Abreojos in a wide open dirt area, far from trees or buildings not so good. I assume it's the satellite it uses. I've used Iridium sat phones and never had a problem like this. Nomad John M put me on to a good deal that I'm seriously thinking or switching to in Jan. when my spot phone contract is up for renewal.

AKgringo - 8-7-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Haha. Competition is good. Keeps the price of both down.

It should keep it down, but does it? Spot must be losing market share to Delorme, but they have raised prices, while not improving service.

My main objection to Spot is that it requires an annual contract for a service that I don't use much of the year. Paying more for shorter blocks of service makes since to me, especially when it provides more options.

I really need to get one of the two services though, I sometimes travel alone in some pretty remote areas. Spot would be great if I could buy service as needed.

[Edited on 8-7-2016 by AKgringo]

ehall - 8-7-2016 at 02:40 PM

FYI the delorme now has weather forecast.

Gulliver - 8-7-2016 at 04:22 PM

I agree with goat about getting unplugged. That's why I don't want or need to get or send messages. If I croak, I croak.

I do, however, like to come back and look at the track where I've been riding and I don't like to stress out Barbara about what the hell I'm up to now!

Her version is that she dosn't want any stupid delays in getting the payout from the life insurance. Buzzards circling isn't good enough for them to process a claim.

jbcoug - 8-7-2016 at 04:51 PM

Seasider,
The Delorme can be turned on and off monthly. I only have mine active while traveling south in the spring.

ehall - 8-7-2016 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  
E-hall and jbcoug, thanks for the info.
I realize the Delorme is an excellent product. The two main reasons that I bought the sat phone are:
1. It was inexpensive, an impulse purchase and was something I thought would work. I have posted on another board for more opinions and info.
2. I wanted to be able to get more than one forecast as the reliability and detail of forecasts for the Sea of Cortez are a bit lacking compared to what we have in Canada or the U.S.
I would normally just buy the Delorme but it only has one forecast(although I could receive others from voice mail- hmmm....) and although it might seem like I'm an electronics collector, quite the opposite would be the fact. A bit of background:
I was planning a trip to the central Baja area in October with the intent to paddle my kayak across the sea via the mid-riff islands. Now I'm considering doing it in January or February 2017, because it feels better heading south after putting up with the cooler temps and rain here for a few months. So reliable weather forecasts are a must for me or this kind of trip!
Most likely I will buy the Delorme(or maybe rent?) but I will see what the sailors have to say about it.

Sounds like an ambitious trip. I see the need for the weather forecast now. From everything I have read the mid riff area winds can come out of nowhere and make for some rough seas. Good luck and have fun.

TMW - 8-7-2016 at 07:03 PM

Have you used the voicemail and how has it worked for you?

No I have not at least not yet. The sat phone stays in the case until I need to use it. I usually call home every evening or morning by cell or the sat phone to make sure all is OK. My wife has some medical issues I need to be aware of when out of town. I usually use my cell phone since most towns have cell service but if I'm in the boondocks for a day or more I use the sat phone.

David K - 8-7-2016 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Have you used the voicemail and how has it worked for you?

No I have not at least not yet. The sat phone stays in the case until I need to use it. I usually call home every evening or morning by cell or the sat phone to make sure all is OK. My wife has some medical issues I need to be aware of when out of town. I usually use my cell phone since most towns have cell service but if I'm in the boondocks for a day or more I use the sat phone.

On the flip side, TW left a voice message on my phone when he called me from San Isidoro, which I got just fine when I turned on my phone not long after he called.

rocmoc - 8-8-2016 at 07:14 AM

Which InReach plan and equipment do current users recommend?

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

Pappy Jon - 8-17-2016 at 08:20 PM

First, I love my inReach and can't say enough good things about it. I tend to venture solo and it's great to send daily "I'm OK" texts to those that give a schit.

Yes, it costs more going in, but having the ability to turn off the service when I don't need it has easily almost paid any difference between the SPOT plans. I only turn it on two months a year. I think I've had mine three years now. I don't know how the SPOT works, but I like having the ability to send text, and the fact that it links in the field to my tablet. The tablet gives me a real keyboard, and the unit displays my location on maps.

I use the Freedom Recreation plan at $35/mo, plus $25 annually. So my annual bill is less than $100. It includes 40 free-hand text messages, which I have never come close to using. Unlimited tracking. Unlimited "preset messages" which are my daily "I'm OK" messages.

The inReach might not work for everybody, and SPOTs $150/yr might be a better deal to some. For me, the inReach is just the ticket to keep me exploring Baja on my terms. Oh, and the Delorme/Garmin customer service is great.

ehall - 8-18-2016 at 07:16 AM

well said Pappy. I use the same plan.

dizzyspots - 8-18-2016 at 02:04 PM

in the interest of fair reporting, SPOT did return my complaint email with a live customer service rep...i expressed my disappointment, he apologized for the sales staff's attitude and offered me a free 3 months if I chose to go back. I researched the Delorme and may still go that route OR I might go back to the SPOT...with the new SPOT connect is does offer a 2 way text via your smartphone....and the rescue insurance fund of $100K....hmmm