BajaNomad

Hotel Tera Sal in GN

dtbushpilot - 8-6-2016 at 06:12 PM

Anybody have a current phone number? The one on their web site seems to be out of service.

Bob and Susan - 8-6-2016 at 06:20 PM

https://www.facebook.com/HotelTerraSal/?fref=nf

615 157-0133

dtbushpilot - 8-6-2016 at 07:17 PM

Yeah, that's the one I have too, fuera de servicio...

windgrrl - 8-6-2016 at 07:30 PM

Try e-mail thru Tripadvisor. always works for I.

Cheerio,
W

BajaBlanca - 8-6-2016 at 08:04 PM

615 157-0190

shari - 8-7-2016 at 08:55 AM

we have been experiencing technical difficulty with the phone service in our area so calls are hit and miss so keep trying....best in the afternoons....say hi to our nephew who works the desk! The rooms in the back with the private garages are cool.

BajaBill74 - 8-7-2016 at 11:14 AM

Do they have good wi-fi?

motoged - 8-7-2016 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
....The rooms in the back with the private garages are cool.

Good advice...David is missing those types of motel "conveniences" ... Cacahuete enjoys that privacy...and the mirrored ceilings... :coolup:

shari - 8-7-2016 at 12:44 PM

the wifi used to be spotty but I believe they addressed the problem and installed extenders...maybe call and as them first as this kind of thing can change quickly.

Hey, I didnt get the mirrors on my ceiling.

mojo_norte - 8-7-2016 at 02:21 PM

Dog friendly ?

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2016 at 03:07 PM

The rooms in the back with the private garages are cool.

Private garages. Sounds like a no-tell motel.

shari - 8-7-2016 at 03:11 PM

the hotel has dog rooms but I dont think the ones at the back allow mutts. If you are staying there and dont have a dog, make sure you dont get stuck in a dog room as they are pretty noisy sometimes with barking neighbours....one starts and the others start a peeing match of barks!...the downside of dog rooms..but they are confined to one wing of the hotel at least.

the restaurant has pretty darn good breakfast too. I love the professional service and desk...it actually seems like a real hotel!

DawnPatrol - 8-7-2016 at 04:07 PM

the hotel has dog rooms but I dont think the ones at the back allow mutts. If you are staying there and dont have a dog, make sure you dont get stuck in a dog room as they are pretty noisy sometimes with barking neighbours....one starts and the others start a peeing match of barks!...the downside of dog rooms..but they are confined to one wing of the hotel at least.

the restaurant has pretty darn good breakfast too. I love the professional service and desk...it actually seems like a real hotel!

Shari; If we book a whale tour next year with you are you able to hook us up with rooms?

Alan B
one of the "GreyHound Boys"

[Edited on 8-7-2016 by DawnPatrol]

shari - 8-8-2016 at 09:02 AM

Oh what a joy washed over me at the mention of GreyHounds!!! I will be making an announcement shortly about next seasons new plans...stay tuned or take a sneak peek on www.whalemagictours.com
You may want to stay at our new whale camp or of course I can hook you up with rooms at Terra Sal which is where most of my guests will stay.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by shari]

woody with a view - 8-8-2016 at 03:14 PM

Shari your link goes to sanfranciscowhaletours.com are you expanding?

Bajahowodd - 8-8-2016 at 04:00 PM

My experience over the years is that the hotels in Guerrero Negro quickly go down hill. The El Morro, for example is now a really dilapidated place. Carracoles has not been remodeled since it opened. And Cowboy as well.

As for El Morro, the old guy that owns it and the one in Santa Rosalia has a palatial home adjacent to the Santa Rosalia place. Actually been inside that home. Such a far cry from the craphole he has in Guerrero Negro.

Have thought about Terra Sal since it opened, but have mainly just driven by S/B on the San Ignacio. They have been open for a few years now. Is it being maintained well?

shari - 8-8-2016 at 05:15 PM

FYI Howard....El Morro has been remodelled.
Terra Sal is really very nice and extremely well run....very professional and they respond well and quickly to any complaints or issues....best run joint in GN as far as I can see.

David K - 8-8-2016 at 06:02 PM

So what happened with the Malarrimo and the Dunas ?

mtgoat666 - 8-8-2016 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Mallarimo is still there. It still has 10x the character as any of the other hotels in town. Still has the best restaurant, best restaurant ambiance.

Whale-ista - 8-8-2016 at 07:18 PM

Was really impressed with Terra Sal when I stayed there last year.
Clean and spacious rooms, professional staff and secure parking. Was very quiet (even in the pet room).

Modern and being pet friendly was a definite plus as well.

Agree that WiFi was spotty--- but where isn't it in central Baja?

KurtG - 8-8-2016 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Dunas (MGM) is still the budget champ. Spartan but clean rooms with lots of hot water. Foam mattresses on concrete base. Still around $15. My current budget favorite hotel is Ballenas. Quiet, clean, good wifi, owned by nice family who live there. $400 pesos. GN is often an overnight stop southbound, a bed and some good street tacos are all I need to be happy. For whale watching nothing compares to camping at the lagoon.

David K - 8-8-2016 at 10:08 PM

Thanks Kurt!
Dunas was the only place in town in 1973 when we rolled in after miles of dirt Hwy. 1, and then pavement, since around Jesus Maria, while it was under construction that summer.

Actually, the town wasn't out that far in '73. The motel was about midway between the Y Intersection and the town.

Udo - 8-9-2016 at 08:28 AM

Woody...your internet is smoking something.

Shari's link works OK for her tour.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Shari your link goes to sanfranciscowhaletours.com are you expanding?

dtbushpilot - 8-9-2016 at 08:53 AM

I sent them a facebook message but never got a reply, just showed up, no problem. Asked about the phone, he said "it's the wind", my favorite Baja excuse. The room was great. I noticed the new "auto hotel" rooms in back but there weren't and doors on the garages so it kinda defeats the purpose of going incognito, maybe they will be complete next time.

I haven't eaten at the Malarrimo in a few years preferring the El Poblano taco joint across the street and down a bit from the Cowboy. I decided to give Malarrimo another try, ordered grouper filet. It was tasty but had the consistency of a flip flop, I'm sure it was frozen when I ordered it, pretty grim. Back to Poblano next time....

bajaguy - 8-9-2016 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

I haven't eaten at the Malarrimo in a few years preferring the El Poblano taco joint across the street and down a bit from the Cowboy. I decided to give Malarrimo another try, ordered grouper filet. It was tasty but had the consistency of a flip flop, I'm sure it was frozen when I ordered it, pretty grim. Back to Poblano next time....

Try the stuffed baked potato at the Cowboy

shari - 8-9-2016 at 09:05 AM

woody was right...whether he was smokin or not...I forgot to put the word tours on the end of the original link I posted...must have been smoking or something! hehehehe

a quick bit to add about La Dunas where we have often stayed too is that you need to check the room first as some have awful bed, ripped screens, no fan etc. I wouldnt call it quiet either as the big freezers from the supermarket humm all night and sometimes on SAturdays it has super loud music from the party venue behind it...just a heads up. Great coffee across the street at the little store which also has a stellar liquor selection.

David K - 8-9-2016 at 09:07 AM

Too bad that most restaurants in Baja lack consistency. I would guess it is hard to keep good chefs or fresh ingredients when business is so variable from month to month.

shari - 8-9-2016 at 10:01 AM

One restaurant that has NEVER disappointed me in 25 years is Don Gus in the middle of town on the west side of the main street...big sign. This restaurant has always had high quality everything...food, service and nice decor too and always consistent. It must be well managed as the same folks worked there for many many years happily. Try it...you'll like it!

Marc - 8-11-2016 at 06:20 AM

Tera Sal. The place looked empty. Got the stink-eye and runaround. I don't think they like Gringos.

[Edited on 8-11-2016 by Marc]

shari - 8-11-2016 at 08:21 AM

wow that is really weird....my nephew is on vacation who works at the desk but the other fellow is super friendly, bilingual and very professional. Of course they like gringos as they are in the hospitality industry...who was at the desk? Maybe they were hungover? Maybe there was some misunderstanding? In what way did you get the runaround? Why on earth would hotel staff give you the stinkeye???????

With more detail we can get to the bottom of this and report it to the owner if needs be.

It may seem empty during the day as travelers arrive later and it is their off season too as many dont travel in the heat of summer. They often fill up. Perhaps they were waiting for a bus tour to arrive?

BajaBlanca - 8-11-2016 at 01:52 PM

quite odd to feel that they don't like gringoes - we were so well taken care of when we went there.

I love malarrimos' filet mignon with gravy. It is so very delicious. Of the many, many times we have ordered it over the past 10 years: only once were we disappointed.

mojo_norte - 8-11-2016 at 02:57 PM

Maybe it's a Trump thing.

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2016 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Tera Sal. The place looked empty. Got the stink-eye and runaround. I don't think they like Gringos.

[Edited on 8-11-2016 by Marc]

I have stayed at tera sal a couple times. The staff is friendly. The place is a bit barren, wide seas of concrete, tiles with minimalist decoration,....
For the decoration and tradition and food I prefer malarimo.

P.s. Special spelling mistakes inserted so special k has something to do.

[Edited on 8-12-2016 by mtgoat666]

David K - 8-11-2016 at 05:14 PM

Yes, I believe the cereal name is capitalized. :light:

Bajahowodd - 8-12-2016 at 03:38 PM

FYI Howard....El Morro has been remodelled.
Terra Sal is really very nice and extremely well run....very professional and they respond well and quickly to any complaints or issues....best run joint in GN as far as I can see.

That is nice to hear because it was a total crap hole when we stayed there many years ago. The beds were awful. The toilet leaked all over the floor. It was, at the time, perhaps 15 years ago, the worst hotel we have stayed in.

BajaBill74 - 8-16-2016 at 12:55 PM

I will be staying at Tera Sol this Saturday (8-20) and will throw in my two bits. That is unless they are full. I have no reservations.

BajaBill74 - 8-20-2016 at 05:51 PM

Survived the pot holes south of Catalina and here I am at Terra Sol.

Their minimum room is $550 and they had none available. I paid $560 ($36us) and have a large room with a Jacuzzi. That makes it the best stopover motel I've stayed at in Baja. The Jacuzzi is great for these old bones.

I didn't use the restaurant because I've always gone ror my favorite dish in Bara at Malarrimo. unfortunately they have taken it off the menu.

Wi-Fi works great. Reception spoke English and does a good job.

shari - 8-20-2016 at 06:33 PM

Wooo Hooo...what's your room #? Jes kiddin! enjoy your night!

David K - 8-20-2016 at 06:55 PM

Nice report Bill!!!
I would love a hot tub in the room!

[Edited on 8-21-2016 by David K]

tiotomasbcs - 8-20-2016 at 07:04 PM

Hot tube, DK, or Hot tub? You got us all doin spell check. A Hot Tube could be interesting.... just before all your detractors get after you! Tio

David K - 8-20-2016 at 07:08 PM

LOL, fixed... I was previously emailing someone about doing a Baja YouTube video... I plead guilty!

BajaBill74 - 8-21-2016 at 06:15 AM

Shari, you must learn to be more discrete. If I've told you once I've told you 104 times, be discrete.

shari - 8-21-2016 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
Shari, you must learn to be more discrete. If I've told you once I've told you 104 times, be discrete.

Wellllllll....you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks!