BajaNomad

Where do Americans live in Baja?

JZ - 8-8-2016 at 07:14 PM

Take out Cabo, La Paz. Ensenada, and TJ. What are the 5 most popular places. Related, which ones do you think are best?

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by JZ]

del mar - 8-8-2016 at 07:18 PM

rosarito!

loreto115 - 8-8-2016 at 07:22 PM

Loreto. Great place to live.

David K - 8-8-2016 at 07:48 PM

San Felipe region.

Bajaboy - 8-8-2016 at 07:49 PM

Define best?

JZ - 8-8-2016 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Define best?

Let's not over think this. Whatever places you'd choose to live in if you were gonna live in Baja, at least part of the year.

Bajaboy - 8-8-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Define best?

Let's not over think this. Whatever places you'd choose to live in if you were gonna live in Baja, at least part of the year.

Ok, we live in Bahia Asuncion about two months per year:yes:

rts551 - 8-8-2016 at 08:06 PM

The answer to your question is ....All over. Related....where ever the poster lives. In our case Punta Abreojos.

JZ - 8-8-2016 at 08:24 PM

Between these what's the most to least populated by Americans:

Los Barilles
Loreto
Todos Santos
San Felipe
Bahia Asuncion
Mulege

Feel free to add similar ones I missed.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by JZ]

bajabuddha - 8-8-2016 at 11:52 PM

I'd spend six months of the year out on my old favorite beach 25 miles south of Myulehay (favorite town) if it was still livable. Solar panels, haul water, no phones or Wi-Fi except in La Puebla.

just like Chavela Vargas...

Mulegena - 8-9-2016 at 01:17 AM

To paraphrase the celebrated Mexican singer of soulful Rancheros, we can live wherever pleases us!

Here is the actual quotation of Chavela Vargas during an interview about her life history. She was born in Costa Rica but emmigrated to Mexico for the opportunities the culture's rich music held for her. She lived in Mexico for some 80 years and became a citizen:

"-Si soy Mexicana (Yes, I am Mexican)

-Chavela, pero usted nació en Costa Rica (But, Chavela, you were born in Costa Rica)

-Los mexicanos nacemos donde nos da la rech#&%ada gana! ( Mexicans are born wherever the f#%k we want!)"

Chavela Vargas "No Soy De Aqui, No Soy De Alla" https://youtu.be/YbR1jpwwdbc

So, come to Baja. Come and experience all it holds and listen, listen for its voice to speak your name. Then you'll know where to settle in.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by Mulegena]

shari - 8-9-2016 at 08:03 AM

define Americans???

I can safely put Bahia Asuncion at the end of that most to least populated havens...I believe there are less than 10 who actually live here full time.

rts551 - 8-9-2016 at 08:17 AM

In Punta Abreojos we only have 3 full timers. 2 more that live here at least 1/2 time and I counted 48 homes or trailers for part timers.

TMW - 8-9-2016 at 09:06 AM

Where and why Americans and Canadians for that matter live in Baja can be a complex matter. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and other reasons for living in an area. It could be the fishing or the beaches or the solitude or the various amenities. The one thing I've often heard about Americans living in Baja is that they tend to congregate into their own communities or enclaves. I don't know if that is true for every location or not.

For me I would pick La Paz as my first choice. I fell in love with the city on my first visit in 1989 and every visit since has re-enforced my opinion. I did not like Loreto the first few times I was there. I thought it to be a dirty town with trash everywhere. In the last 10-15 years I have changed my mind. I now find it a great place. Excellent hotels and restaurants and many things to do and see in the area. I like San Felipe and all the off road excitement there. Ironically the two places that fit what I like is San Quintin and Constitucion due to the agriculture.

durrelllrobert - 8-9-2016 at 09:19 AM

Punta Banda; never hotter than 85 and never a frost (at our house). Only 2 hours from the border for US medical and shopping when needed. Only 1/2 hour to all that Ensenada has to offer, and relatively good fishing in your front yard.

del mar - 8-9-2016 at 09:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Punta Banda; never hotter than 85 and never a frost (at our house). Only 2 hours from the border for US medical and shopping when needed. Only 1/2 hour to all that Ensenada has to offer, and relatively good fishing in your front yard.

yup...for me anyway year round great weather is a huge plus! :yes:

Udo - 8-9-2016 at 09:36 AM

Our original plan was to live in Bahia Asunción full-time. But medical conditions dictated Ensenada.

SlyOnce - 8-9-2016 at 09:53 AM

I love living in Playas de TJ and have lived there full time for 3 years now.

BEST PLACE TO LIVE IN BAJA.

J.P. - 8-9-2016 at 09:53 AM

I have lived a lot of places in my lifetime and PUNTA BANDA has the best weather year around and a lot of the convinces previously stated. but as a community it Total Sucks.:fire::fire:

Udo - 8-9-2016 at 10:16 AM

Where in Punta Banda do you live, J.P?

Bajame - 8-9-2016 at 10:44 AM

San Ignacio 8 to 9 months a year, rent year round . Lovely town and and great people . One hour from The Pacific and One hour from the Sea of Cortez . Not to many of us there .

BigBearRider - 8-9-2016 at 01:11 PM

I think of Punta Banda as being part of "Greater" Ensenada. I don't disagree that it is very nice, and that there are lots of gringos there.

What's the thought behind the original question? Is having more Americans a good thing, or a bad thing? Do Canadians count as "Americans" in this context?

JZ - 8-9-2016 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I think of Punta Banda as being part of "Greater" Ensenada. I don't disagree that it is very nice, and that there are lots of gringos there.

What's the thought behind the original question? Is having more Americans a good thing, or a bad thing? Do Canadians count as "Americans" in this context?

Just curious. Yes, I almost put Americans/Canadians.

Lee - 8-9-2016 at 02:18 PM

El Pescadero then Todos.

rts551 - 8-9-2016 at 03:12 PM

They should since citizens of Mexico, USA, and Canada are all North Americans.

DENNIS - 8-9-2016 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I have lived a lot of places in my lifetime and PUNTA BANDA has the best weather year around and a lot of the convinces previously stated. but as a community it Total Sucks.:fire::fire:

That's because you never learned how to blend in peacefully like I did.
Just kidding, John. Hope all is well.
By the way.....you are completely correct.

David K - 8-9-2016 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Yes, but isn't interesting that Mexicans refer to U.S. citizens (and maybe Canadians too?) as "norteamericanos" but to themselves as "mexicanos"

DENNIS - 8-9-2016 at 03:56 PM

Pure and simple, this is how it is in my eyes. There are enclaves of expats from here and there who congregate within....well, in....communities with gates. They only venture out to shop or visit others of their...uhhh....type. They don't assimilate with the local community, and have no desire to.
They can't read the street signs nor can they follow news of events in their own front yard in papers or TV.
They live in ghettos, and wallow in their sense of adventure living in a foreign land. La Joya beachcamp in PB is a good example.
I don't say this is a bad thing. It has its advantages from a security and social point of view.
The issue for me is they have no desire to learn and mix with the culture they have joined, and that's their choice. I appreciate that, but can't understand why.

To belabor the points made just a bit more.....saying we are all Americans is right, but wrong. Mexicans are Mexicans, and Canadians are just that, Canadians.
We, from the US are Americans by common classification. There are those with questionable motives, who would like to strip us of our name.... OUR NAME....Americans ...and leave us nameless, that I won't tolerate. That is racist boolllsheit.
Yankee Doodle

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by DENNIS]

bajabuddha - 8-9-2016 at 04:30 PM

I prefer "Red-Blooded Human" myself. Anything else is 'racist boolsheit'. Got no problem with anyone from anywhere; if they do, it's THEIR PROBLEM.

freediverbrian - 8-9-2016 at 04:48 PM

Quote from Dennis

Pure and simple, this is how it is in my eyes. There are enclaves of expats from here and there who congregate within....well, in....communities with gates. They only venture out to shop or visit others of their...uhhh....type. They don't assimilate with the local community, and have no desire to.
They can't read the street signs nor can they follow news of events in their own front yard in papers or TV.
They live in ghettos, and wallow in their sense of adventure living in a foreign land. La Joya beachcamp in PB is a good example.
I don't say this is a bad thing. It has its advantages from a security and social point of view.
The issue for me is they have no desire to learn and mix with the culture they have joined, and that's their choice. I appreciate that, but can't understand why.

You just described the history of imagration to the US or any other country give the ex Pat's a generation or two and they will assimilate :)

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by DENNIS][/rquote]

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by freediverbrian]

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by freediverbrian]

shari - 8-9-2016 at 05:01 PM

that is one thing I appreciate about Bahia Asuncion that there are no gringo enclaves and people all live spread out dispersed in the village so integrate more into their neighbourhoods. Perhaps that is why the local attitude is generally positive towards the immigrants.:biggrin:

I wonder what the order is of gringo populations per capita in the towns and cities here. Maybe someone can do a poll or an investigation into this.

PS: it would have been nice to have put Americans/Canadians/Europeans or perhaps expats instead of just Americans.

David K - 8-9-2016 at 05:24 PM

"Non-natives", perhaps?

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2016 at 05:48 PM

we are right behind Bahia Asuncion people-wise. There are 9 of us full timers. and 4 regular part-timers.

We are all spread out and all of us have our local protective angels, who "take care" of us when the going gets tough. It is very wonderful!

Every town surely has its charm - each one so radically different from the next.

tiotomasbcs - 8-9-2016 at 05:57 PM

Don't over anylyze! Come down and find your place or don't. It was easy for me, I have as many Local friends as Nortes! After a few years things change, too. I'd prefer TJ just cause I don't want any more .... No secrets revealed. Quiet, Lee. Tio

[Edited on 8-10-2016 by tiotomasbcs]

JZ - 8-9-2016 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

To belabor the points made just a bit more.....saying we are all Americans is right, but wrong. Mexicans are Mexicans, and Canadians are just that, Canadians.
We, from the US are Americans by common classification. There are those with questionable motives, who would like to strip us of our name.... OUR NAME....Americans ...and leave us nameless, that I won't tolerate. That is racist boolllsheit.
Yankee Doodle

The old Gringo enclave rant. We've heard it on here for 15 years, so not sure why you are taking your time to type it out for the 12,487th time. Get out there and take some pictures and post those, i.e. some fresh material.

JZ - 8-9-2016 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Don't over anylyze!

No kidding. It was a simple question. What are the most populated areas for Americans/Canadians (which no one seems to know the answer to) and what's your favorite spot if you had a choice. Somehow the 2nd question got many all riled up and ranting about this and that.

rts551 - 8-9-2016 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes, but isn't interesting that Mexicans refer to U.S. citizens (and maybe Canadians too?) as "norteamericanos" but to themselves as "mexicanos"

and USA citizens refer to themselves as Americans.

rts551 - 8-9-2016 at 06:51 PM

Yankee Doodle

Dennis, If Mexicans are Mexicans, and Canadians are, well Canadians, Then we are USAns.

bajabuddha - 8-9-2016 at 07:34 PM

Many years ago I took a 'Spanish for Adults and Dummies' class (Adult Ed.) and first night the instructor reminded all of us that from the southern Panama border to Santa's house we're all Norte Americanos, including Canada. Mexico is actually Los Estados Unidos de Mexico, has 31 States and a Federal Zone just like our Washington D.C. If you have to define races by imaginary lines you might as well build a wall around them...... oh, La Jolla already did......

David K - 8-9-2016 at 08:05 PM

Not sure we are on the same page or not?

Several countries and territories, north of Colombia are part of North America, a continent.

Mexico's official name (in English here) is United Mexican States, not United States of Mexico. In either case, the people are Mexican citizens.

Our (USA) official name is United States of America. The people of the USA are American citizens.

People in North America are diverse and to only identify with their continent would not identify much about themselves. So, we proudly identify with the nation we are a citizen of.

So, we are all from North America, perhaps. But, we are Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Jamaicans, Nicaraguans, etc. more.

Bajaboy - 8-9-2016 at 08:32 PM

"Non-natives", perhaps?

some prefer the word "aliens":?:

rts551 - 8-9-2016 at 08:52 PM

Several countries and territories, north of Colombia are part of North America, a continent.

Mexico's official name (in English here) is United Mexican States, not United States of Mexico. In either case, the people are Mexican citizens.

Our (USA) official name is United States of America. The people of the USA are American citizens.

People in North America are diverse and to only identify with their continent would not identify much about themselves. So, we proudly identify with the nation we are a citizen of.

So, we are all from North America, perhaps. But, we are Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Jamaicans, Nicaraguans, etc. more.

I f people from Mexico have to be Mexican, why aren't we USAns? Or is it because we adopted a name different from our officially titled country. Its no wonder some people think we are arrogant. I have had numerous people from Mexico tell me they are also American....and lets not even begin to talk about native Americans. Mexicans call us Norte Americanos for a reason.

[Edited on 8-10-2016 by rts551]

David K - 8-9-2016 at 09:05 PM

The A in USA is for America.
I thought I covered that already?

J.P. - 8-9-2016 at 09:16 PM

I am 77 years young and spent my formative years in Texas. a whole lot of things I learned at that time had to be unlearned. In years since my travels have taken me to a lot of places. but wherever I land in a very short time I am referred to or as That Texan. It's a fact that I am neither ashamed or proud of it is just what it is.:yes::lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 8-9-2016 at 09:31 PM

I have had numerous people from Mexico tell me they are also American....and lets not even begin to talk about native Americans. Mexicans call us Norte Americanos for a reason.

So gringos are Norte Americanos, and Mexicans are not? Aren't we all in North America? Canadians and Guatemalans too.

The A in USA is for America.
I thought I covered that already?

It would be easier tu understand if you could draw an analogy to Toyota tacomas, eh?

---------

P.s. Isn't This issue why trump wants to build the wall? To stop Mexicans from claiming to be Americans?

P.p.s. The name America was coined by some Dutch cartographer dude, from Amerigo Vespucci (1454–1512), the Italian explorer.

Martyman - 8-10-2016 at 11:48 AM

If we are going to split hairs...Guatemala and south are in Central America not North America

David K - 8-10-2016 at 01:09 PM

Central America is part of the continent of North America, along with the Caribbean and Greenland, too.

http://www.7continents5oceans.com/

We all come from somewhere else...

motoged - 8-10-2016 at 01:18 PM

Many established beliefs are being re-examined:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ice-free-corridor-north-americans-1.3715397

[Edited on 8-10-2016 by motoged]

BajaMama - 8-10-2016 at 02:53 PM

We are United-Statesians. Technically anyone from North or South America is American. Not too hard to figure out. Sheesh.

David K - 8-10-2016 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
We are United-Statesians. Technically anyone from North or South America is American. Not too hard to figure out. Sheesh.

Tell someone in Brazil or Mexico or Canada that they are an "American," and I think you will be surprised that they love their country and identify with it and not the continent or use the word that identifies citizens of the United States of America.

bajabuddha - 8-10-2016 at 03:30 PM

Uh Davey boy, Brazil is SOUTH American..... I think they'd cop to that one, the same as we are all NORTH American. Can you see Russia from your back porch?

chuckie - 8-10-2016 at 03:42 PM

DK has difficulty seeing his ass in a mirror...

David K - 8-10-2016 at 03:58 PM

Do you both have reading issues?
It was Baja Mama who said people in South America are Americans, that includes Brazil.
Try again and read what I was responding to. Here to help with geography.

Please, Please Please

bajaguy - 8-10-2016 at 04:00 PM

STOP!!!

Nobody cares anymore......another thread down the toilet

DENNIS - 8-10-2016 at 04:04 PM

OK....how about this....US citizens, known by each other and the rest of the world as Americans, are stripped of the label because the term, American, is all inclusive for those from the Americas.
Where does that leave us? It leaves us, USA Americans, without a name.
How the eff does that make you feel?

bajabuddha - 8-10-2016 at 04:06 PM

Do you have reading issues? I was saying some's North...... oh, nevermind. Such a good helper; surprised no maps. Or spelling corrections.

shari - 8-10-2016 at 04:21 PM

I vote for sticking with the term Americans for the United STates of America citizens...after all everyone knows Americans are called Americans right???...just dont call me one por favor

bajabuddha - 8-10-2016 at 04:32 PM

It's amazing how reaching this discussion has become; Mexicanos have a dozen nicknames for 'who comes from where' in Mexico as well; Mexico City people have their own names; so do Mexicali-ans, southern Indian-blood peoples, etc., etc., and have heard feuds between B.C.ers and Albertans..... red and blue in the U.S., Yankees and rebs, lib's and 'pubs.......

Maybe some day Ghandi, King, Buddha (not me), and several others will convince us we are from the HUMAN race and you can root for the football team of your choice, not origin or proximity.

[Edited on 8-10-2016 by bajabuddha]

David K - 8-10-2016 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Do you have reading issues? I was saying some's North...... oh, nevermind. Such a good helper; surprised no maps. Or spelling corrections.

Besides not realizing that you are agreeing with me that Brazil is in South America, but Brazilians are not called "Americans"...
You didn't see the WORD map of continents either???
You need another Baja trip, and bad!

:light::bounce::cool:

mtgoat666 - 8-10-2016 at 06:00 PM

Perhaps we would all get along better and be less focused on names if we Put more effort into opening borders and less effort into building walls, eh?
Tear down the wall!

SFandH - 8-10-2016 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
after all everyone knows Americans are called Americans right???...just dont call me one por favor

effing eh!

I was saying the same thing when in Cuba years ago.

If anyone asked, I was a Canadian for a couple of weeks! :lol:

Milky Wayan

[Edited on 8-11-2016 by SFandH]

DENNIS - 8-10-2016 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Perhaps we would all get along better and be less focused on names if we Put more effort into opening borders and less effort into building walls, eh?
Tear down the wall!

Right. One big happy welfare state.

woody with a view - 8-10-2016 at 07:31 PM

"Where do Americans live in Baja?"

No matter where I am, I live in my own world. Everyone knows me here!

rts551 - 8-10-2016 at 07:47 PM

OK....how about this....US citizens, known by each other and the rest of the world as Americans, are stripped of the label because the term, American, is all inclusive for those from the Americas.

I feel fine. I have no problem saying I am from the USA and am a gringo.

[Edited on 8-11-2016 by rts551]

mtgoat666 - 8-10-2016 at 07:58 PM

I feel fine. I have no problem saying I am from the USA and am a gringo.

[Edited on 8-11-2016 by rts551]

Most gringo expats in Baja are pinching pennies until they scream. Many (most?) gringos in Baja are skin flints living in trailers. Let's call them trailer trash, P-nche gringos, etc.

Or if you don't like the classist labels, perhaps we can call USA-y-ans "gringos"

EnsenadaDr - 8-10-2016 at 08:35 PM

I love my little alcove of Los Alisitos. It is about an hour closer to the border than Punta Banda, but just as secluded, yet closer to Ensenada and Rosarito. When I drive down 2000 at night and see that beautiful moon over the ocean, I know the trip has been worth it. Getting away from the hustle and bustle of the U.S. way of life is another reason. Opening my windows and hearing the ocean waves is so soothing. Been doing this for many years and wouldn't change a thing.

motoged - 8-11-2016 at 12:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I vote for sticking with the term Americans for the United STates of America citizens...after all everyone knows Americans are called Americans right???...just dont call me one por favor

Yo también :cool:

charliemanson - 8-11-2016 at 10:05 AM

Where do "we"live?
Unfortunatly close to a bunch of Canadians who seem to be better than us, smarter than us, cheaper than us, more opinoinated than us and overall ( not enclusive )not liked as much as us down here where we can be proud of being called a Gringo.
I tell locals I am a Gringo and not Canadian. Funny how they seem to like us more....just sayin'

motoged - 8-11-2016 at 12:51 PM

Charlie,
When did you get out and move to Baja?

Good luck with your spelling lessons...

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Where do "we"live?
Unfortunatly close to a bunch of Canadians who seem to be better than us, smarter than us, cheaper than us, more opinoinated than us and overall ( not enclusive )not liked as much as us down here where we can be proud of being called a Gringo.
I tell locals I am a Gringo and not Canadian. Funny how they seem to like us more....just sayin'

bajaguy - 8-11-2016 at 12:57 PM

Funny from someone who can't spell COLOR or NEIGHBOR without throwing in an extra yoU :lol:

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Charlie,

Good luck with your spelling lessons...

motoged - 8-11-2016 at 12:59 PM

Glad u like the humour :biggrin:

[Edited on 8-11-2016 by motoged]

David K - 8-11-2016 at 01:05 PM

How do you spell HOSER, eh? :biggrin:

motoged - 8-11-2016 at 01:08 PM

How do you spell HOSER, eh? :biggrin:

Well, your spelling is better than Charlie's....:biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 8-11-2016 at 01:16 PM

well, to me, anyone from the US is an American.

Anyone from Canada, Canadian. Mexico, Mexican. Brazil, Brazilian.

And anyone from the entire continent is either North - Central - or South American. And look what google defines us as!!!

From google:

A·mer·i·can

/əˈmerəkən/

adjective

adjective: American

1. of, relating to, or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.
"the election of a new American president"

•relating to or denoting the continents of America.
"the American continent south of the tropic of Cancer"

noun

noun: American; plural noun: Americans

1. a native or citizen of the United States.

•a native or inhabitant of any of the countries of North, South, or Central America.

2. the English language as it is used in the United States; American English.

SFandH - 8-11-2016 at 03:05 PM

"Estadounidense" I think is the correct Spanish word for referring to someone from the United States.

It translates to "American".

chippy - 8-11-2016 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
"Estadounidense" I think is the correct Spanish word for referring to someone from the United States.

It translates to "American

You would be right.

SFandH - 8-11-2016 at 03:36 PM

Likewise, canadiense.

Not sure about capitalization.

DENNIS - 8-11-2016 at 03:37 PM

It translates to people from the United States of America.

DENNIS - 8-11-2016 at 03:40 PM

Canuckleheads are people from Canada. Ask Mon Shari. She nose.

SFandH - 8-11-2016 at 03:42 PM

It translates to people from the United States of America.

Which 999,999,999 people out of 1,000,000,000 would say "American".

Just thought I'd contribute to all the silliness. ;)

chuckie - 8-11-2016 at 03:49 PM

Who's that other sumbich?

gsbotanico - 8-11-2016 at 04:21 PM

I'll inject a little seriousness. All the possibilities have been mentioned. When I'm speaking Spanish, I never use the word "americano" to describe myself or another American. I say "estatounidense" or "norteamericano." This is simply to respect the usage of Spanish in Latin America.

If the New World is described as North America, Central America, and South America, Mexico is considered part of North America, even though southern Mexico, especially the state of Chiapas, is geographically and culturally part of Guatemala. But it isn't a separate country, so it's lumped together with the rest of Mexico. Central America thus becomes Guatemala south to Panama. If you look at a map of Mexico, northern Mexico is clearly as much a part of North America as the US is.

The difficulty comes from literally translating the Spanish or English. Keep to the expressions in each language and the problem solves itself. In Baja California I sometimes avoid the whole issue by saying I was born on the "otro lado." Everyone understands this means the US. Just be sure you're south of the border.

freediverbrian - 8-11-2016 at 05:54 PM

This thread is why Baja Nomad , a site I very much like is dying, too many trolls, too may stuck in mud may way or the highway old farts . Too much time no your hands ? Go to you tube . Love Baja as I do ? . Try adding positive posts . Or rename this site Baja Vaquita

del mar - 8-11-2016 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
This thread is why Baja Nomad , a site I very much like is dying, too many trolls, too may stuck in mud may way or the highway old farts . Too much time no your hands ? Go to you tube . Love Baja as I do ? . Try adding positive posts . Or rename this site Baja Vaquita

baja small cows?

freediverbrian - 8-11-2016 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

baja small cows?

A troll is a troll ,or you not know of the endangered porpise

mrfatboy - 8-11-2016 at 06:57 PM

I was confused about the name also.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaquita

freediverbrian - 8-11-2016 at 07:18 PM

I hope I can add information to all , that is what the site should be

BajaNomad - 8-12-2016 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mrfatboy  
I was confused about the name also.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaquita

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-endangered-sea-mammal...

JZ - 8-13-2016 at 12:32 AM

Site has completely gone to chit from 8-10 years ago, back in the SkiBaja/JR days. Too many old, grumpy dudes like Dennis who never even get out and see Baja any more. Probably why traffic has dwindled to a slow trickle.

[Edited on 8-14-2016 by JZ]

DENNIS - 8-13-2016 at 08:10 AM

Ohhhhh my............

KurtG - 8-13-2016 at 08:21 AM

Site has completely gone to chit from 8-10 years ago back, back in the SkiBaja/JR days. Too many old, grumpy dudes like Dennis who never even get out and see Baja any more. Probably why traffic has dwindled to a slow trickle.

[Edited on 8-13-2016 by JZ]

Well, I'm old and occasionally accused of being a bit grumpy but I still get out and travel Baja as much as possible. While the site has changed we still have some great people whose posts I look for. A few examples: Harald and others for off road stuff. Shari and Blanca's posts are always interesting and Blanca does wonderful work. Russ's sunrise photos are always great. Because of this forum I sought out Pescador's band and enjoyed it immensely. He's a good and interesting guy. Many other good people, I just ignore the crap from the usual suspects and while I think my posts are generally positive I'm going to avoid any of the usual pi**ing contests that come up. Every Nomad that I have met in person has been a pleasure and I hope to meet more of you in the future.

David K - 8-13-2016 at 08:37 AM

It is always fun to go off roading and camping with fellow Baja Nomads.
Here is the 2010 group 4x4 trip to Mission Santa Maria, on the peninsular divide, 10 miles east of Cataviña(Punta Final/ Gonzaga Bay in background):

LtoR: BajaTripper & Zully, CG, Baja Angel, KurtG, Neal Johns, Baja Bucko, edm1 (Art) & daughter, HB Murphy & Zoom.

shari - 8-13-2016 at 08:39 AM

Well...things evolve in this world. I myself like my traffic at a slow trickle so suits me just fine. Many of my old amigos still hang out here and we keep in touch and keep track of what they are up to. Facebook is just too impersonal and I prefer the format of chit chat here....so to all of you still hanging in here...and new friends not yet known...have a wonderful weekend all.

PS...love you Mon Dennis!

KurtG - 8-13-2016 at 10:56 AM

It is always fun to go off roading and camping with fellow Baja Nomads.
Here is the 2010 group 4x4 trip to Mission Santa Maria, on the peninsular divide, 10 miles east of Cataviña(Punta Final/ Gonzaga Bay in background):

LtoR: BajaTripper & Zully, CG, Baja Angel, KurtG, Neal Johns, Baja Bucko, edm1 (Art) & daughter, HB Murphy & Zoom.

There is now about 80#'s less of me than when that pic was taken. My motorcycles handle a lot better and seem more powerful!

kimberleygd - 8-13-2016 at 10:37 PM

What a great thread, even though it went downhill for a bit, you guys always have a way of picking it back up. :)

I haven't done as much exploring as I had hoped to yet.I procrastinated getting a vehicle because I wasn't really sure of my plans.Now I know I'm staying another year, time to get my butt in gear.
Although I'm pretty much limited to Ensenada because of my employment, I love small towns and little hole in the walls where you can find some wonderful spots(I'm from a very small town)

shari - 8-14-2016 at 06:29 PM

Dont worry Kimberley...Baja's secret spots will be waiting for you when you are ready! Perhaps we can drive down to Asuncion together one day when I am up visiting my daughter & grandsons in Ensenada!

ehall - 8-14-2016 at 07:22 PM

Kimberly. There are a ton of cool places to explore on day trips from Ensenada. When you are ready ask and we will point you in the right direction.

David K - 8-15-2016 at 05:48 AM

I think Ojos Negros area may be interesting to Kimberley... off Hwy. 3 (Ensenada-San Felipe section), about 25 miles from Ensenada. Just north of Ojos is Real de Castillo, a former gold mining center and the capital of Baja California for a short time.

kimberleygd - 8-15-2016 at 07:19 AM

Sounds exciting! I love that kindergarten here has the same schedule as school,I ended up with 8 weeks vacation, and didn't do nearly enough exploring.

I moved in May to an area I'm not that happy with, between the dog and moving and trying to catch up on sleep :barf: (noisy neighbours)
This year I hope will be different travel wise.