BajaNomad

Mexico in the Olympics

BajaBlanca - 8-21-2016 at 03:53 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/08/17...

MEXICO CITY — Mexican middleweight boxer Misael Rodríguez beat an Egyptian opponent this week for a spot in Thursday's semifinals, guaranteeing himself at least a bronze medal and breaking Mexico’s medal drought at the Summer Olympics.

But no sooner had he stepped out of the ring in Rio de Janeiro on Monday than social media swung into action, spreading photos of Rodriguez and his boxing teammates boarding beat-up buses in Mexico City 11 months earlier to raise money from riders for their trip to the world championships.

Mexico has endured a miserable Olympics, with scandal overshadowing success and some on social media taking the opportunity to point to poor performances in Rio as reflections of mediocrity at home. The country of 120 million can't boast a single medal winner so far, although Rodriguez will be on the podium later this week.

[Thousands of Olympic volunteers have quit due to long hours and no food]

Much of the discontent has centered on the country’s sports commissioner, Alfredo Castillo — a confidant of increasingly unpopular President Enrique Peña Nieto, and controversial for his role putting out the president's political fires.

Castillo was quick to congratulate Rodríguez, tweeting, “Our athletes have given it their all in #Río2016, today Misael's efforts are coronated.”

Mexicans responded with sarcasm, while media outlets dutifully dug up old Castillo tweets accusing the boxing federation of “dragging down” Mexican sports and accusing its leaders of living the high life at the expense of its fighters.

In the absence of medals, Castillo has stolen the spotlight. The commissioner has made himself an easy target, too. He brought his girlfriend to the Games, and photos appeared of the pair kissing and cavorting at official events. It brought immediate criticism from athletes. “There easily could have been a trainer or physiotherapist who really needed [the girlfriend's] credential,” archer Aída Román, a medalist in the London Olympics in 2012, told Mexican media.

Stories surfaced, too, of Castillo taking in a Novak Djokovic tennis match instead of a competition involving Mexican athletes. Castillo later accused the judges of having it in for Mexico after a pair of synchronized divers were denied a re-dive, which they requested saying they were distracted by photographers’ flashes. #DesmadreOlimpico (Olympic mess), subsequently trended on Twitter.

“The reprisals for not handing over 15 million dollars are here," Castillo tweeted. The amount referred to a fee that FINA (swimming’s governing body) imposed after Mexico backed out of hosting the 2017 world swim championships.

[They were strangers at the starting line. Less than 20 minutes later, they were eternally linked.]

Controversy, not competition, has consistently topped Mexican news from Rio — not an unusual occurrence, say some observers.

“We’re always talking about everything, except for sports,” says Héctor López Zatarain, a sports marketing consultant in Guadalajara.

Mexico seldom overachieves in the Olympics — and Mexicans have marveled at how Michael Phelps has won more gold medals than their country has in its entire history.

But the men’s soccer squad winning gold in 2012, along with steady success on the Under-17 level were supposed to signal the emergence of a new generation of athletes overcoming old stereotypes, such as the idea that Mexicans don't work well in teams. The squad’s early exit in Rio — it lost 1-0 to South Korea last Wednesday, after an embarrassing earlier game in which it trailed Fiji 1-0 at halftime (before winning 5-1), seemed to suggest a regression to the old ways of players not performing up to their potential.

Interest in the Rio Games has also been underwhelming — more so this year as telecom mogul Carlos Slim outbid the usual alliance of the big two broadcasters, Televisa and TV Azteca, and put the Olympics on cable and streaming services. The broadcasters have responded by treating the Olympics as a nonevent, while the soccer squad’s elimination diminished interest further.

“It’s soccer first, then all the other sports,” says Alejandro Aguerrebere, an analyst with TVC Deportes.

Issues unrelated to performance have consistently captured attention, including ratty uniforms, petty politics among Mexican officials and gymnast Alexa Moreno being body-shamed. ESPN went as far as to quote analysts saying the woes summed up the state of the country.

“I think Mexicans are overreacting,” says Rodolfo Soriano-Nuñez, a sociologist in Mexico City. “They do not realize how hard is to be fourth, fifth or even 10th worldwide.”

He sees domestic politics driving the discontent.

“The reaction is more about the rejection of Peña Nieto’s government” — represented by Castillo — “than about the athletes’ performances, with the exception of men’s soccer,” which underachieved despite being backed by billionaires, the sociologist said.

Castillo came to the national sports commission, Conade, in April 2015 after a stint in Michoacán state, where he was sent by Peña Nieto to subdue vigilantes, who took up guns to fight off a drug cartel. Castillo quickly was dubbed “Viceroy,” as critics accused him of acting like the de facto governor and going after local leaders critical of the government.

His arrival at Conade came with controversy. Castillo accused the country’s sports federations of operating with opaqueness — which brought accusations of political meddling.

“Those responsible for the subject of performance are the federations,” Castillo recently told MVS Radio. “Conade is a travel agency” for them.

Sports analysts say both sides share the blame.

“It’s all about power and money,” Aguerrebere says of the dispute, adding the outcome would be similar regardless of who led Conade. “Athletes are the least important people in this.”

Whether Castillo will be called to account for Mexico’s Olympic perform remains uncertain, though political parties have called for him to appear in Congress. Ex-president Vicente Fox called for Castillo’s resignation.

Some have suggested that Castillo has shown an unflattering side of Mexico’s elite — one in which connections and cronyism count more than merit or accomplishment.

“He’s the typical mirrey,” says author and academic Ricardo Raphael, referring to a term given to the country’s entitled elites — people playing by their own rules and more prone to enjoying privileges than succeeding in competition. “People like him are the owners of this defeat,” Raphael says.

Boy, amazing story above and it sure shows the resilience of the Mexican athlete who somehow makes it happen regardless of the odds being against him or her!

The Brazilian in me is happy at the way the Olympics came out. No terrorism and that was my personal big fear.

Whale-ista - 8-21-2016 at 04:14 PM

In contrast: One of the first gold medalists this year was a young judoka from Rio's poorest favela ("City of God"). Her achievement was seen as a source of national pride, demonstrating that a talented young person from the poorest beginnings can still rise up through sports, overcome incredible odds, and become a national- and international- champion.

Perhaps achievement in sports at the national/international level is one way to measure if a nation has a strong commitment to social mobility, and provides the training, coaching, and financial support to athletes in in a transparent, verifiable manner.

[Edited on 8-21-2016 by Whale-ista]

Bajahowodd - 8-21-2016 at 04:42 PM

Am I the only one that feels just a little bit embarrassed about the huge disparity in Olympic medals? Just have to wonder if the US is growing favor or worse yet creating hatred in some touchy places around the world.

bajagrouper - 8-21-2016 at 04:47 PM

3 silver and2 bronze is better than many countries......

bajaguy - 8-21-2016 at 04:48 PM

Gee, maybe we shouldn't send the best to the Olympics...........

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Am I the only one that feels just a little bit embarrassed about the huge disparity in Olympic medals? Just have to wonder if the US is growing favor or worse yet creating hatred in some touchy places around the world.

David K - 8-21-2016 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Gee, maybe we shouldn't send the best to the Olympics...........

Seriously! I guess some here want to see no winners or losers... and everyone there will only get 'participation medals'?

Let's hope not and that all athletes can be rewarded for greatness and work to improve if they can.

SFandH - 8-21-2016 at 05:17 PM

One simple reason the US won the most medals, in addition to outstanding performances, is because we sent the most athletes, presumably entering the most events.

The US sent 552 athletes, Mexico 126.

bajaguy - 8-21-2016 at 05:28 PM

Better than 146 countries, to be exact

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
3 silver and2 bronze is better than many countries......

woody with a view - 8-21-2016 at 05:30 PM

Wodd must be deteriorating mentally.

Everybody hates the US until they get here. And everyone wants to get here.

[Edited on 8-22-2016 by woody with a view]

Whale-ista - 8-21-2016 at 05:41 PM

Another reason the US athletes win the most medals is because the women are serious medal-worthy competitors.

Women Olympians earned more medals than the men in 2016, for the second time in a row. (They also exceeded the men's medal count in 2012.)

Why do US athletes do so well? Several reasons, including:
1) We are a large nation with many people to compete against.
2) Athletes have access to high levels of coaching/financial support to train hard and push each other to acheive excellence.
3) The US also has many businesses & contributors who like being associated with winning teams/competitors and provide sponsorships, to earn advertising, media exposure and other reasons.
4) Many sponsors contribute to help fund the US Olympic Training Centers. (The one in Chula Vista is impressive.)

Why do US women in particular do so well? Title IX. This is federal education legislation that was signed into law in 1975.

Title IX requires equal funding & opportunities for all educational programs for girls/women in schools that receive federal funds- not just sports, but science, technology etc.

This policy has made a tremendous difference in opportunities for girls and women to compete in sports at all different level. It's how I got my start while still in high school.

After competing in high school, as an athlete at SDSU I tried out for the US national field hockey team. I didn't make the cut, but continued to compete/coach/officiate for many years and enjoyed participating in tournaments and getting to play against many of the women who eventually did make the US squad.

So- instead of cheering "USA!USA! USA!"! I like to cheer: "Title IX! Title IX! Title IX!"

KurtG - 8-21-2016 at 06:51 PM

No embarrassment whatsoever, I feel the diversity of our Olympic team reflects American society in a very positive way. At a time when political forces are trying to divide us I have enjoyed watching the kids cheer on athletes of every color, gender and cultural background. That diversity is in stark contrast to the teams of the other large contingents.

I AM embarrassed that our athletes have to pay taxes on their prize money.

And yes, Title IX is a wonderful thing. When I was in high school in the 50's and 60's there were zero girls' sports.

TMW - 8-21-2016 at 06:59 PM

The US did not always have the most metals in an Olympic. But for the last 30+ years we have. There are a number of reasons why. The US produces a large number of competitive sports from grade school thru college with better training, nutrition and coaching. The standard of living in the US is far above probably 95+% of the world. Women in much of the world can not or do not have access to the sports and/or training that the US women do. One can not compare the US to Canada, Germany, France or England because of size alone, think people. To be on an equal footing you need to compare the US to the EU. Russia is a shell of itself. China is up and coming and may very well challenge the US in the future similar to what the Soviet Union was.

TMW - 8-22-2016 at 09:45 AM

Looking at the metal count I am surprised with what Great Britain won.

U.S. 121
China 70
Great Britain 67
Russia 56
Germany 42
France 42
Japan 41
Australia 29
Italy 28
Canada 22

AKgringo - 8-22-2016 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Looking at the metal count I am surprised with what Great Britain won.

U.S. 121
China 70
Great Britain 67
Russia 56
Germany 42
France 42
Japan 41
Australia 29
Italy 28

Add New Zealand and their 18 medals to this list and it seems that the Queen's subjects have outperformed us colonial rebels!
Canada 22

Sorry, I somehow put my comments in the quotation box! AK

[Edited on 8-22-2016 by AKgringo]

DENNIS - 8-22-2016 at 09:59 AM

Not many countries however have a population of 140 million as does Mexico. They should be ashamed of their lack of attention to competitive sports.
Where was their adored soccer team during the finals?

JoeJustJoe - 8-22-2016 at 10:59 AM

So while we are talking about the superiority of the American Olympic athletics, and the American system that churns out these athletics. We should also mention other places where America leads.

BTW it wasn't for African-Americans athletes who represent the USA, the USA would just be another country in the middle of the pact, and behind both China, and Russia.

However, we don't treat always treat our black Olympic athletes very well. Take the case of Gabby Douglass, she had to endure racial discrimination in her sport of Gymnastics in America for many years, and when she finally wins a gold medal for the USA, she is heavily criticized for not placing her hand on her heart for the American National anthem.

Of course when white swimmer, ugly American, Ryan Lochte, first tells a bogus story about being robbed in Brazil, he and his swimming pals are actually first given a pass, as just a young immature swimmers who were just blowing off steam.

Just imagine, if instead of that incident involving Lochte, it instead involved a black USA basketball player. You just know a lynch mob, would be gathering, at least on social media, and other places.

So where else does America lead?

America leads the world in Obesity, but I understand the USA is now neck in neck with Mexico, as both countries battle it out on who has the most obese fat people in the world.

American also leads the world in mass Incarceration of mostly blacks and other poor minorities, who are mostly jailed over drug charges.

American leads the world, in military spending and spreading misery around the world.

American leads the world in highest health care costs, yet Americans don't live longer than others in poorer nations.

The list goes one.

I congratulate all Americans that won medals in the Olympics or even competed in the Olympics.

[Edited on 8-22-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

DENNIS - 8-22-2016 at 12:57 PM

Go back to the dark side, Joey.

JoeJustJoe - 8-22-2016 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Go back to the dark side, Joey.

I would but your bashing on Mexico, just invites me here.

But it's not just you Dennis, a lot of these posts remind me of the 1936 Olympics, but I'll just leave it at that.

BajaBlanca - 8-23-2016 at 09:08 AM

My husband asked his British friend why GB got so many medals - apparently there is a lottery and the money is used to sponsor athletes since right before the London games. Look for them to get more and more.

I was surprised that Chine didn't get more medals???? Can anyone comment authoritatively on that?

I am so proud the US did so well - those kids work so so so hard!

Mexico doesn't support their athletes fully - last week we did have a gentleman stay with us who works for the salt mine company in G Negro. He is the all around coach. Any child or adult in G Negro, working or not for the salt mine, can join his various sports teams for free. I thought that was amazing.

It certainly didn't go perfectly in Rio but I am so proud of what was accomplished! It was beautiful to watch and mostly I liked that they spent 10% of what is usually spent on opening and closing ceremonies but still make it pretty spectacular.