BajaNomad

Traveling with a pet bird through Baja

BajaMama - 9-1-2016 at 06:27 AM

Hi, was wondering if anyone has some input on this. I acquired a white bellied caique in 1999. He is banded and legal, was not imported into the USA (he is an endangered species, not imported since 1973), and I love him. He does not do well with other caretakers. I have the CITES certificate of ownership and can import/export him when I travel. However, the U.S. Division of Wildlife (they do the inspections) has told me that because of avian flu Mexico will seize and euthanize even pet birds.

Has anyone had experience in the past six months of traveling through Baja with a pet bird? I can leave him with my husband and my sister can feed him, but she took care of him last trip, feel like I am over-asking for favors here...

SFandH - 9-1-2016 at 07:03 AM

No direct experience but here's a blog post that looks to be informative:

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazines/bird-talk/2009-mar...

[Edited on 9-1-2016 by SFandH]

weebray - 9-1-2016 at 07:36 AM

Why would you even consider risking losing your pet? If some governmental officious zealot decides the bird is illegal believe me you will be powerless to stop them. What are you going to do? Sue? Remember, It's their world, you're just living in it.

David K - 9-1-2016 at 07:52 AM

Once you are at the border (and also in Secondary), you can't say "never-mind" and U-turn back into Mexico. Notice the line of silver bumps you drive over some distance before reaching the kiosk where the officer is... that is the border line. You are already inside the United States before reaching the officer's booth.

Leave the bird if you don't want it in the hands of our government!

Lee - 9-1-2016 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Hi, was wondering if anyone has some input on this. I acquired a white bellied caique in 1999. He is banded and legal, was not imported into the USA (he is an endangered species, not imported since 1973), and I love him. He does not do well with other caretakers. I have the CITES certificate of ownership and can import/export him when I travel. However, the U.S. Division of Wildlife (they do the inspections) has told me that because of avian flu Mexico will seize and euthanize even pet birds.

Has anyone had experience in the past six months of traveling through Baja with a pet bird? I can leave him with my husband and my sister can feed him, but she took care of him last trip, feel like I am over-asking for favors here...

The question is.. do you feel lucky?

I have a close friend who has smuggled a bird across (just once).

This person regularly smuggles plants across.

Worse case you'll be turned back. They don't want your bird. Oh, then there's the ''fine.''

Don't worry. Be happy.

Udo - 9-1-2016 at 09:09 AM

Hola, BajaMama.

I have a bird also...a very talkative African Grey.

Here is my story:

I also had heard of the legalities and regulations of bringing birds in and out of Mexico.

After doing a tremendous amount of homework regarding traveling with bird in Baja.
I made an appointment with the avian vet in charge at the Otay Mesa point of entry. And after seeing him and following his advice, I called the sacramento California office to obtain the bird certification necessary for bring the bird back to the USA. I also had the bird chipped and tattooed.
After the form was filled out and signed by an APHIS certified avian vet, I took the certificate to the same vet at the border office.
I also had to obtain a separate vaccination and health certificate from my bird regular vet.
Now, everything was cool with the USDA vet's office.
He told me to call him ahead of time (about two hours) before I get to the border and cross back to the USA.

However, he said...If the USDA inspector does not agree with the paperwork, or he got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning and he says that the bird will not return to the USA without a 30 day quarantine.

Take it for what it's worth. I spent 6 months going through this.

Now...taking the bird to Mexico was another ordeal!

After many conversations with Baja bird owners, they all said that their bird was smuggled into Baja. Usually inside a large ladies purse.

The discrimination against birds was not fair since dogs and cats are let into and out of the country (both ways) on a regular basis. I have known of regular Mexican puppies being taken back to the USA with no paperwork or collars, health certificate or anything else.

So here is what I did:

The Mexican customs officials see pet crates regularly. So I converted a small dog/cat crate to hold a bird (put a perch in it and added a water bowl holder). Then I made a cover for it.
Then I placed the pet carrier in the back seat along with some duffel bags, and a suit case in the trunk area.
I had my wife drive the car across from the US via the TECATE crossing. I decided to have my wife drive because my bird is quieter when my wife is around. If I had been driving the bird would have been jabbering away.
Bad luck still followed us.
She got the red light and had to go to secondary. They looked in the back seat, opened one of the duffel bags. Closed it. Went to the trunk and opened another suit case, closed it and sent her on her way!

Crisis averted!

The bird got smuggled into Mexico with no hassles and under the eyes of the Mexican customs officers.

We are now living in Ensenada, and don't expect for the bird to return to the USA.

Note to DK...I think you meant to say (in your last sentence..."You are already inside MEXICO territory once you reach the inspection area."). But you are right...there is no turning around. If caught, the bird will be confiscated.

In answer to Lee: worst case is the bird WILL be confiscated. There is no bribing officials. There is no turning the vehicle around.

Period.

[Edited on 9-1-2016 by Udo]

[Edited on 9-3-2016 by Udo]

David K - 9-1-2016 at 12:59 PM

Hi Udo, I actually thought she was concerned about bringing the bird into the U.S., since we have the quarantine requirements she was concerned about. I was thinking she thought she could U-Turn back into Mexico if the U.S. said her bird couldn't stay with her.

BajaMama - 9-1-2016 at 05:19 PM

What I found out today from the US Dept of Wildlife is that now, just recently, any bird crossing back into the states has to be quarantined. Which I guess would be okay except that the San Diego center is now closed, so I would have to fly him from Mexico to either Atlanta, GA or NYC. Crazy! I would never put him through that. So, I begged my sister to watch him again. I agree Udo, it is so unfair that they are this strict with only birds but I guess it has to do with avain flu. Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate your input.

BigWooo - 9-3-2016 at 05:19 AM

I"m not sure there's "no turning around". Several years ago we adopted a stray kitten. Crossing back into the U.S. we got "one of those" border patrol officers after being sent to secondary in Tecate. Said we couldn't bring the kitten across the border. He gave us the option of returning to Mexico, or surrendering the kitten. We went back into Mexico, drove to Otay and crossed without incident.

I don't think I'd chance it though. A stressed bird is better than not having it anymore.

[Edited on 9-3-2016 by BigWooo]

BajaMama - 9-5-2016 at 02:15 PM

Fortunately my (saint of a) sister has agreed to watch him for me again. It is just a shame because he travels pretty well and I think the check point guys would get a kick out of him. He likes to ride on the steering wheel! But it wounds very difficult to get him back into the country and I am not willing to rick having to quarantine him. So it's just me and my dog.

David K - 9-5-2016 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I"m not sure there's "no turning around". Several years ago we adopted a stray kitten. Crossing back into the U.S. we got "one of those" border patrol officers after being sent to secondary in Tecate. Said we couldn't bring the kitten across the border. He gave us the option of returning to Mexico, or surrendering the kitten. We went back into Mexico, drove to Otay and crossed without incident.

I don't think I'd chance it though. A stressed bird is better than not having it anymore.

[Edited on 9-3-2016 by BigWooo]

Good info!! Thanks!! I thought if they found a bird on you that you didn't declare (because importing birds is illegal), that was it for you, and the bird!

bajaguy - 9-5-2016 at 03:38 PM

I guess they have those avian rules for a reason, although I have never heard of a canine or a feline flu problem in any country.

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

The discrimination against birds was not fair since dogs and cats are let into and out of the country (both ways) on a regular basis. I have known of regular Mexican puppies being taken back to the USA with no paperwork or collars, health certificate or anything else.