BajaNomad

San Diego to LA Bay via Hwy 5 Questions

Pfish - 9-7-2016 at 04:26 PM

Greetings all. I am thinking of taking highway 5 down to LA Bay (Hitting Hwy 1 about 40 miles above the LA Bay turnoff) from San Diego as I have never done it in the past. The purpose is to miss all the traffic and speed bumps in Ensenada and San Quentin. I have a diesel, so I am curious as to the last stop for Diesel. Do they have diesel in Puertocitos? I am aware of the last 23 miles being dirt, so that will slow me down a bit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

woody with a view - 9-7-2016 at 04:32 PM

they have diesel in BdeLA most of the time.

David K - 9-7-2016 at 04:49 PM

Fill up in San Felipe. The Puertecitos station is not even on the highway if they did have diesel or were open. Have fun and beware the steep vados* on the older style highway between San Felipe and the Puertecitos jcn.

The Hwy. 1 & 5 jcn. (Laguna Chapala) to the L.A. Bay jcn. is close to 30 miles, not 40 (if that helps your fuel planning)...

*dips, about 10 miles from San Felipe to near Puertecitos, keep it under 55 so you can slow enough with the poor warning... broken frames on overloaded trucks have been documented here, from flying into or out of one of these vados!

bajabuddha - 9-7-2016 at 04:51 PM

How much does two yeller plastic 6 gal. bottles cost these daze?

EDIT: Empty, that is, as in WallyWorld?

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by bajabuddha]

bkbend - 9-7-2016 at 05:23 PM

I fill diesel in San Felipe and still have 1/2 tank when I get to BdeLA. It's doable from El Centro on a single tank but as pointed out BdeLA has it only "most of the time." I don't like arriving near empty.

basautter - 9-7-2016 at 06:41 PM

I have a 6.0 liter diesel, and have made it from San Felipe to BOLA with fuel to spare (26 gallon tank). There may be diesel at Chapalla, but you can't count on it. If you are concerned, take an extra 5 gallon can. It's too nice of a drive to be worried the whole way. :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 9-7-2016 at 07:31 PM

Chapala or the L.A. Bay jcn. (Parador Punta Prieta)?

Rossman - 9-8-2016 at 09:46 AM

Never seen gas or diesel at Chapala

mjs - 9-8-2016 at 11:06 AM

Diesel is (or may be) available in an emergency from the Rancho Grande Market. Had to stop there one time after a large caravan/tour of RVs emptied the tanks at BoLA and we were unsure of making it to San Felipe.

Doug/Vamonos - 9-16-2016 at 06:42 AM

I give the same advice to anyone who wants to avoid speed bumps or traffic in the little towns on highway 1. The alternative route will rattle your brains out (and truck) for twenty plus miles past Cocos Corner. I've done it a couple times because I was driving someone home who wanted to go that route. I won't do it again till they pave the road. Unless you could air down your tires and then have the ability to air them back up before you hit the highway again. I agree with most that it is a prettier drive. But the bumps and rattles....!!!!

honda tom - 9-16-2016 at 01:39 PM

fill up in Calexico (cheaper)...
top off in san felipe and go. you will have plenty of fuel. 2 stations in BOLA and i can only remember a couple of reports about them running out. (just fill when you get there).

the dirt portions have actually never been nicer, the rough last about 8 miles past cocos.

went through in june with my diesel crewcab and a friend in his mid 90s van conversion, just went slow on the rough, didn't bother to air down this time. I would normally air down because i carry my own air tank and i drive fast in the dirt in this truck (it takes out the washboard rattle) but with the van and his street tires we decided just to go slow for a bit.

chivatojoe - 9-16-2016 at 02:50 PM

Dieasl is available at truck service stop at rancho grande across from Pemex. They will also air up or down tires which is highly advisable. On the other end at Chappala is a itinerary shop for these events purpose. I Haledon the rock and roll now 5 times round trip from Murrieta to Chivato. 667 miles door to door. When I'm towing trailer (boat razor) it's 14 hours when not it's 11 to 12. I have driven since 1974 (Honda 250 xr) and I have to say that Mex 5 is the most scenic drive and I to don't miss traffic,topos,stop lights, busses,trucks,congestion of small towns,police hiding behind stop signs,toll roads,coastal fog, trucks on Hills, and alike. I guess it's just something different for me. Air down drive slow and enjoy the rock scape and then some day when it's paved and everyone is using you can say"I remember when"

BigBearRider - 9-16-2016 at 02:56 PM

I also prefer the scenic Mex 5. It's also nice to mix it up and take one down, and the other up.

basautter - 9-17-2016 at 08:47 AM

I have driven that route with an F250 diesel. Unless you are towing a heavy load, you should have no problem getting from San Felipe to BOLA on a tank of gas. BOLA has diesel, and I have never seen them run out.

bacquito - 9-18-2016 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
I have a 6.0 liter diesel, and have made it from San Felipe to BOLA with fuel to spare (26 gallon tank). There may be diesel at Chapalla, but you can't count on it. If you are concerned, take an extra 5 gallon can. It's too nice of a drive to be worried the whole way. :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:[/rquote

If you fill up a 5 gal. can with gas/diesel, do so in Mex. They took my gas a few years back because I purchased it in Calif.

David K - 9-20-2016 at 08:35 AM

Correct; as has been posted here for years... ONLY empty gas cans into Mexico!

If 23 graded (2WD easy) dirt road miles is an issue, avoid... but there is no comparison to going 200 paved miles with only one town en route (San Felipe) than going through all farm towns, traffic, speed bumps, stops, and construction detours on Hwy. 1 (and 3) from the border to El Rosario.

greg4444 - 12-22-2016 at 05:16 PM

No full gasoline containers through customs! Does that apply to diesel also?

bajabuddha - 12-22-2016 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by greg4444  

Errm, ya think? :lol:

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2016 at 05:49 PM

Diesel and pixie dust are allowed! :lol::lol:

David K - 12-22-2016 at 05:49 PM

DO NOT BRING FUEL INTO MEXICO. Empty cans only. It is to protect Pemex sales, and Pemex (government owned oil monopoly) sells gasoline and diesel fuel.

Many have not been checked, but on the occasion when they do, you will be sent back into the U.S. That can really ruin the start of your trip. Just fill your containers in Mexicali or San Felipe.