BajaNomad

Asking for advises fishing @ bahia gonzaga

roldanojr - 9-12-2016 at 01:36 PM

We are planing to go bahia gonzaga, punta bufeo and campo beluga, gona spend couple days this weekend, have ready to go 2 kayaks.
Asking for advise:

=> What type of fish can I get there and what type of bait do I have to use. Do some snorkel too.

=> drinking water, ice , mini markets, Cell signal, wi-fi. road conditions after Newton etc.

Thank you in advance. JRR

Bajazly - 9-12-2016 at 02:27 PM

The road is fine, just came all the way thru from Visciano thru B de LA and on to SF a couple days ago. Fishing in San Rafeal was off the hook using Crocodiles but had to fish the rocks, nothing off the beach. Punta Final has some rocks you could try.

DavidT - 9-12-2016 at 02:34 PM

http://www.bigwatersedge.com has a post in the general discussion forum titled Gonzaga in September
And plenty of kayak fishing information with a search on their website

roldanojr - 9-12-2016 at 02:45 PM

Bajazly Thank you for your info!
How far is B de L A from Gonzaga?

Bajazly - 9-12-2016 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by roldanojr  
Bajazly Thank you for your info!
How far is B de L A from Gonzaga?

For 2 people, about 10 beers worth. :biggrin:

In real time it's maybe 3 to 4 hours and San Rafeal is about 2 hours on the dirt south of there.

roldanojr - 9-12-2016 at 03:13 PM

Thank you David T, great info in that web site.

redhilltown - 9-12-2016 at 11:34 PM

Lots O' Triggers for dinner. Fun on small krocs but bring some squid and smaller hooks if you need to make sure you land a few for ceviche. Rancho Grande "usually" will have all the supplies you need. Red scampi plastics as well as the krocs can be great for Corvina. Though dated, Mexfish.com will have some general information and you can scroll back through years past to see what has been caught during the time of year you'll be there. Hopefully the Sierra will still be around. No cell phone service that I have ever heard of. You'll be off the grid...what a shame!!!!

roldanojr - 9-13-2016 at 07:36 AM

Who knows about gas station (pemex) between Gonzaga and L A Bahia, There are some or not at all?

roldanojr - 9-13-2016 at 07:39 AM

Thank yoy Redhilltown.

Great info!

For sure I will post info and pics, when I get back to USA

Rossman - 9-13-2016 at 07:45 AM

I agree with the suggestions on using Krocodiles but I have been having a good bit of luck on the larger cabria and grouper on the deeper reefs out by the island using Megabaits or Megabait look alikes. If you get the real Megabaits, change out the trebles because they are crap and will be straightened very easily. Sorry I am away from my GPS right now or I would send you some numbers for a couple of these reefs. If you are at Campo Beluga, there is a point just to the south ( inside the bay, not punta Final) that holds some nice cabria ant under the right conditions will absolutely blow up on surface lures. Nothing better than cabria on the surface

good luck and watch the wind.

roldanojr - 9-13-2016 at 08:56 AM

Thank Rossman

Exacly I gona b @ campo beluga, do u have comments about beluga camp site, is it a good one, what about the mini rooms, showers, bathroom etc, I will appreciate your advice/comments, those will be on time to my last minute shopping or set up my stuffs.

TMW - 9-13-2016 at 09:40 AM

Who knows about gas station (pemex) between Gonzaga and L A Bahia, There are some or not at all?

The PEMEX at Gonzaga usually has gas. The turn off from Hwy 1 to LA Bay there is a guy in a pickup with gas for sale if you need it. LA Bay has two PEMEX stations. Puertecitos has a PEMEX but the guy is not always around, some say you may have to look for him. I suggest you make sure you are full leaving San Felipe and if possible carry a full can just to be on the safe side.

roldanojr - 9-13-2016 at 10:12 AM

Thank you! TMW

Yep I thought in pump gas at San Felipe, Is good to know there is a gas station in bahia Gonzaga.

Rossman - 9-13-2016 at 01:52 PM

I like Beluga myself. Pretty much the only place I stay, and since they built the cabanas, I tend to rent one of those every time. Not that camping under the palapas isn't nice but the times I go there, the winds can be nasty and I find it impossible to cook outdoors under those conditions. Showers and flush toilets are nice to have. No hot water but usually not frigid.

Thank Rossman

Exacly I gona b @ campo beluga, do u have comments about beluga camp site, is it a good one, what about the mini rooms, showers, bathroom etc, I will appreciate your advice/comments, those will be on time to my last minute shopping or set up my stuffs.

redhilltown - 9-13-2016 at 11:53 PM

And...as far as gear if you did go to the Mexfish website and also checked out "The Baja Catch"...rebel fastracks are deadly in this area...just don't net anything that you catch with these things...they are like cholla cactus on fish...add a net to that and you and your pliers have five minutes of crazy slime trying to free that barracuda that you could care less about! When things are right they catch too many fish...but...that is better than the opposite!

basautter - 9-14-2016 at 05:03 AM

For snorkeling, there is a strip of islands about 8 miles to the north. If that's too far to paddle, you can trailer up the shore to several fish camps that are as close as a mile or two from the islands. Stay away from Islas Lobos (aggressive sea lions). Otherwise, snorkeling and spear fishing is quite good. You can also snorkel around the island in front of Alfonsina's, but the visibility is not usually that great, Lot's of fish though. Isla San Luis has a large shallow reef off of the big point on the west side of the island. Fish camp Las Encatadas (spelling) get's you really close.

El Grande Market (a mile or so from Alfonsina's) has basic food, beer, water...and there is a gas station there. There are several good restaurants in the area, Alfonsina's being my favorite. They will cook up fish that you bring in, which is really convenient.

Expected catch, depending on how you fish, is triggers, sierra, corvina, cabrilla, grouper.....the usual suspects for shore fishing.

Best of luck, and have a great time!